2008 MLB Draft

I think they should take the best player available regardless of position because this isn't the NBA or NFL where you draft for need.

Saying that, it is very doubtful an 18 year old catcher will be the best player available. Plus, the organization has committed 2nd and 3rd round picks in each of the last 3 drafts to catching prospects and traded for Baker and Rabelo. All those guys may not be good right now, but they have more than just a 'looksie' invested into them.

I fully expect them to take another pitcher. I'm thinking Crow.

Saying that, it is very doubtful an 18 year old catcher will be the best player available.

This quote makes no sense. Why couldn't an 18 year old catcher be the best player available?

Well, just looking at the history of the MLB draft, high school catchers don't have a very good success rate. Since 1989, 17 high school catchers have been drafted in the 1st round, only 3 have become all stars. That's not to say Skipworth won't be the best player available, but the odds are certainly against him.

Saying that, it is very doubtful an 18 year old catcher will be the best player available.

This quote makes no sense. Why couldn't an 18 year old catcher be the best player available?

The probability of projecting a catcher (the hardest position to develop) at an extremely young age is not worth that high of a pick. The fallout rate is enormous. Also, if you read Skipworth's scouting reports there are already questions of him out-growing the position and he doesn't have a great feel for catching as of right now. Sure, he could be great and develop perfectly, but what if he has to move to a corner IF/OF slot, which is not an unreasonable concern. He doesn't project to have the premier bat to be an above average regular at those positions (i.e., unlike Saltalamacchia or Clement who could probably hang at 1B). It's catcher or average major leaguer, and he is so young we are talking 4-5 years before he shows up so it's not like we wouldn't need to obtain another catcher too. I personally expect more out of the 6th slot than those odds. He is not a sure thing like Mauer was, and is not already partially developed like a Clement or Wieters. I'd be disappointed if the Marlins reach for the need pick here versus taking a better overall prospect. We have tons of pitching. We can trade some of the young arms in AA, or Gregg/Miller/Hendrickson, at the deadline and try and get Bryan Anderson or Max Ramirez or something. Catcher is clearly a need, but I don't think we use the TOP draft pick here unless it is Posey.

I think the Marlins should be looking at Posey, Smoak, Alvarez, and Crow at 6. One of them has to be there because someone will draft T. Beckham and Hosmer in the top 5. Any of these 6 make the most sense to me. I'd probably rank them based on the Marlins needs versus longterm potential as: Posey, Alvarez, Beckham, Smoak, Crow, and Hosmer. I think the sleeper picks would be Wallace or Alonso.

omg.i really want posey. yes the draft is friday, last day of school is thursday. im watching this. who is the player that the giants will absolutely take if posey is still available. and what is the chance he falls to us? what are his defensive skills like. who is he compared to?

The draft is Thursday.