Uggla and Olsen to Colorado for Torrealba?

-Miami Fan-

I highly doubt anything will come out of this, because it's just coming from a Colorado beat writer, but it was also posted on MLB Trade Rumors. They're saying the Marlins would deal both Uggla and Olsen for Torrealba and a pitching prospect. I'm in doubt about this though and dearly hope this won't happen.

I'm definitely not opposed to dealing Uggla, but we can get much more value from both him and Olsen for Torrealba and a pitching prospect. I know we tried to go after Torrealba at the trade deadline, but that fell through. Personally, I don't think that our catcher position is something that we should be concerned with. At least that's not number one on my list.

Link: http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=col

I think a trade is possible. The Marlins are likely to have a payroll of between $30 million and $35 million, and could look to avoid paying Uggla the $5 million to $6 million he'll get in the arbitration process. They also could package him with left-handed pitcher Scott Olsen, who could make $2.7 million.

A match could be made with the Marlins, who are looking for catching help and have flirted with obtaining the Rockies' Yorvit Torrealba in the past. They couldn't work a trade with the Rockies at the non-waiver Trade Deadline, but could be in a better position if they gave up some players with rising salaries and obtained Torrealba and a pitching prospect.

The Rockies, of course, have Clint Barmes coming off a solid year and Jeff Baker, who was a decent run producer in limited playing time, at second base. But Uggla could change positions, and there could be trade interest in Barmes or Baker. If the Rockies deal Matt Holliday, Uggla might be feasible in left field.

I think the originator of this topic read too much into his response.

I wouldn't even deal Olsen alone for Torrealba, nonetheless ever think about dealing Uggla.

What some people don't seem to realize is we are not the Pirates. We don't just hand away our best players because of salary and bring in practically nothing. We won't trade anyone without receiving equal talent in return, period. Uggla will be here next season if someone doesn't step up with a top of the line offer... His value is extremely high.

that would be a pretty large ransom for a mediocre catcher who's going to be a backup in CO

i've been opposed to torrealba all along as I just don't think he's any good, in fact I couldn't even say for sure he'd be better than baker

if we're giving up a that package for a rockies catcher the initials better read C.I. - even then I would probably be hesitant

I think a trade is possible. The Marlins are likely to have a payroll of between $30 million and $35 million, and could look to avoid paying Uggla the $5 million to $6 million he'll get in the arbitration process. They also could package him with left-handed pitcher Scott Olsen, who could make $2.7 million.

A match could be made with the Marlins, who are looking for catching help and have flirted with obtaining the Rockies' Yorvit Torrealba in the past. They couldn't work a trade with the Rockies at the non-waiver Trade Deadline, but could be in a better position if they gave up some players with rising salaries and obtained Torrealba and a pitching prospect.

The Rockies, of course, have Clint Barmes coming off a solid year and Jeff Baker, who was a decent run producer in limited playing time, at second base. But Uggla could change positions, and there could be trade interest in Barmes or Baker. If the Rockies deal Matt Holliday, Uggla might be feasible in left field.

I think the originator of this topic read too much into his response.

:thumbup

This too.

Seriously, what do you think of a Matt Holiday and a package of prospects for Dan Uggla, Mike Jacobs and a SP (Anibal, Olsen)?

Here's my reasoning:

Holiday is due a raise, in the 7 to 10 million Range. The Rockies might trade him to plug holes at other positions.

Uggla is scheduled to earn 5 to 6, Jakkkobs is due 3 to 4 and Olsen is due 2-3 million. Clearing about 10-12 off the books.

Holiday is a better LF defensively then Willingham and is what the marlins would lack missing in the middle of the order with Uggla and jakkobs gone.

Uggla and Jakkkobs bring pop to Colorado. Uggla can play left like the author of the article said, or play 2b or 3b. Jakkkobs can sit til Helton retires (isn't he 36 to 38 y/o?) The prospects would be a great one and 2 average ones.

I keep hearing Dexter Fowler, IDK who he is, but maybe---

Marlins Get:

Matt Holiday

Dexter Fowler

SP Prospect in AA

SP Prospect or OF Prospect in A ball.

Rockies Get:

Dan Uggla

Mike Jacobs (Josh Willingham moves to 1B til Gaby Sanchez is ready or Cantu to 1st with Mcphearson at 3b).

Scott Olsen (He's due a raise, although I prefer he stays and Anibal Goes)