Oakland Prospect Quits to Join Priesthood

Schnellders

Oakland Athletics prospect Grant Desme has turned his back on professional baseball - to join the priesthood.

The 23-year-old outfielder was the Most Valuable Player in last year's Arizona Fall League, where major league clubs send their top prospects each autumn.

But Desme, a lifelong Catholic, plans to enter a seminary this summer.

"I was doing well at baseball. But I really had to get down to the bottom of things - I love the game, but I aspire to higher things," he explained.

"I wasn't at peace where I was at. I have no regrets."

Desme, who had looked set to receive an invitation to spring training with Oakland's major league players next month, had been considering the move for over a year, despite hitting 31 home runs and stealing 40 bases in the minor leagues in 2009.

"Last year before the season started, I really had a strong feeling of a calling and a real strong desire to follow it. I just fought it," he explained.

"As the year went on, God blessed me. I had a better year than I could have imagined, but that reconfirmed my desire.

"I felt that while baseball is a good thing, I thought it was selfish of me to be doing that when I really felt that God was calling me more."

He informed the A's management on Thursday evening, and now expects to begin "a 10-year process" towards becoming a priest while he studies at St Michael's Abbey in Orange County.

Oakland general manager Billy Beane added: "We respect Grant's decision and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavours."

http://news.bbc.co.u...all/8476466.stm

He wasn't actually too much of a prospect, despite strong numbers on the surface.

I personally think any sacrifice for religion is silly, so I would never do this, but I wouldn't say he's an idiot. He's following his heart, and that's honorable. It's similar to leaving a high-profile law firm to go work for the state attorney's office - AKA less money but more "moral". If this is what will make him happy, then good for him that he has the nerve to stick to his convictions.

Well he could have played ball until he retired and then joined the priesthood. Would have been able to donate a lot of money in the process.

The money's not the point, it's the time spent doing what he feels is the right thing to do. People keep looking through dollar sign lenses, this guy is completely aware of what he gave up when he made his decision.