The Dragon...

HawkFan

Funny tidbit for you all. Went to Marlins-Nats game in Viera on Saturday. After the game by th team bus, John Baker came over to sign autographs. Badenhop came out of the clubhouse and started signing further down the fence. Baker looked over and said "Look, there's Badenhop. Everyone, call him "the Dragon," he loves it!"

Some loud, obnoxious guy yelled out "Look, there's the Dragon!" Hopper gout a huge grin on his face and called down to baker "You tell them to say that?" Don't know the genesis of then ickname, just fgured we need to stop calling him "the Hopper."

Also, that story a couple of weeks ago about him trying his hand at screenwriting; he's writing comedies.

No nickname is good, what about the name your parents give you, i could never understand the meaning of nickname, i just can't stand nicknames, JMO

You must hate your parents for naming you MVETOY.

Dammit!! Rab strikes again. I swear....I have to explain at least once a week to my wife why some random guy makes me spit water on my monitor b/c of his hilariously random one-liners. I love you man!!!

hmmm I wonder why he said that? I envision a conversation like this:

"Damn guys, why the hell do I have to be the Hopper? That sounds so weak"

"OK what do you want?"

"I'd like to be called something cool, like the Dragon.."

"K LOL!"

Everyone knows you can't make up your own nickname.

Guest Guest

Nicknames are best when they are directly applicable to some attribute of the player, such as name, physical appearance, or unique playing style.

Hopper is a decent nickname because it meets this criteria.

I hate it when nicknames are assigned to players just because they have a badass connotation and have no personal touch to them. Not having heard the whole story, I am assuming that "Dragon" fits more under this criteria until the origin is made known.

Maybe he's into D&D or some other game that involves dragons. I'm assuming some of them involve dragons. Possibly not though.

I guess he probably wouldn't be a professional baseball player if he were into those things.

Say what?

Obviously those NEEEERDS could never play sports.

No nickname is good, what about the name your parents give you, i could never understand the meaning of nickname, i just can't stand nicknames, JMO

You must hate your parents for naming you MVETOY.

My mother did not name me MVETOY, that is the license plate on a very good friend of mine car.

Maybe he's into D&D or some other game that involves dragons. I'm assuming some of them involve dragons. Possibly not though.

I guess he probably wouldn't be a professional baseball player if he were into those things.

Well you wouldn't think Mr T and Ozzy Osbourne would be into World of Warcraft, but apparently they are so.....

Well you wouldn't think Mr T and Ozzy Osbourne would be into World of Warcraft, but apparently they are so.....

Well, the most obvious one in the baseball world would be Curt Schilling. That guy was even into Everquest.

The problem with the Marlins is that it seems whoever is doling out a number of the nicknames isn't very creative. They have a thing for taking their last name or part of it and adding a "y at the end or some variation. I suspect Jack McKeon is behind many of them as this was one of his things. Those that I have heard in the past include:

Anibal Sanchez: Sanchy

Chris Volstad: Volly

Emilio Bonifacio: Bonny

I am probably forgetting some. Of course a number of players are exempt because they already have names that end with a "y" - Hanley, Ricky, etc.

There are some good ones though. My favorite has to be Ronny Paulino's nickname - "The Caveman".

The problem with the Marlins is that it seems whoever is doling out a number of the nicknames isn't very creative. They have a thing for taking their last name or part of it and adding a "y at the end or some variation. I suspect Jack McKeon is behind many of them as this was one of his things. Those that I have heard in the past include:

Anibal Sanchez: Sanchy

Chris Volstad: Volly

Emilio Bonifacio: Bonny

I am probably forgetting some. Of course a number of players are exempt because they already have names that end with a "y" - Hanley, Ricky, etc.

There are some good ones though. My favorite has to be Ronny Paulino's nickname - "The Caveman".

I do like calling RVH "Dutchie" rather than the Holland Hammer or whatever, though obviously that has nothing to do with his name. It's just more fun.

And I would've figured Uggla would be stamped with the nickname "The Caveman" considering his last name. When I first got wind of this guy playing for the Marlins, I started calling him "Unfrozen Caveman Baseball Player." Not a knock on his intelligence, looks, or personality. Just the name.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.