Wes Helms

According to rotoworld, the Rangers have made inquiries about Wes Helms. Apparently, they're inquiring about pretty much every player in the league as the sense they have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs this year, so it's no real biggie.

Wes is practically a key component of this year's team as he is the only guy besides our starting 8 that has shown the ability to provide anything. He's not invaluable, and certainly any type of prospect for Wes Helms would be compensation for a guy who is only a bench bat, but if we were to deal him it seems like we'd have a hard time down the stretch so it would pretty much be a white flag for the season.

Well, some may not agree with what I say because I know some aren't big Wes fans but to sit on the bench and not play for several games and then finally get one at-bat (and many times in a critical situation) is a pretty tough situation for any player. But I believe Wes may do the best at that than any other player on our team right now. And we can see what he's capable of doing if he gets more time to play -- just look at the home runs he hit against the Rays. So I'd be sorry to see Wes go. But if the deal is right, well...it would definitely depend on the deal.

Lol at this team not being able to contend without Wes Helms.

This team will have a lot of trouble contending without a bench. Although its not the same as those guys getting 4 at-bats a game, those guys who come in late in the game for one crucial at-bat can be the deciding factor because they are going into the critical part of the game. And right now, out of the all the guys we've gone through down there, Wes is the only one able to contribute a single thing to any of our victories.

So no Wes = no contending is not as far-fetched as you would think.

Lol at this team not being able to contend without Wes Helms.

This team will have a lot of trouble contending without a bench. Although its not the same as those guys getting 4 at-bats a game, those guys who come in late in the game for one crucial at-bat can be the deciding factor because they are going into the critical part of the game. And right now, out of the all the guys we've gone through down there, Wes is the only one able to contribute a single thing to any of our victories.

So no Wes = no contending is not as far-fetched as you would think.

He's a bench bat. How many wins is Wes Helms bringing to the table, really? I really hope no one brings out the veteran leader line next; that's about the only thing that would make this worse. For what it's worth, he was good at it last year, but Helms has sucked this year pinch-hitting, anyway.

Wes Helms is not the difference between being a playoff contender and not being a playoff contender. Pretty much what I'm trying to say, here. As most people know, I'm not his biggest fan to begin with...comments like "he's a great veteran leader" and now "we wouldn't contend without Helms" are probably the reasons why.

I would say there is about zero chance Wes Helms gets traded during the 2010 season.

He is gone if someone wants him and this team isn't contending. We are nowhere near that though.

I have to agree with Lou unless the Marlins get an offer they can't refuse like a reliever who could help them now but I don't see another team willing to give that up.