Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Official Edwin Rodriguez Thread

Featured Replies

Also I think announcing a "permanent" manager now rather than continuing the search signals the office wanting to end any distractions and concentrate on this season not throw I'm the towel. Can you imagine the stories if they took another few weeks?

Or at least it means Loria wasn't willing to promise to a Valentine-quality candidate that he wouldn't starting selling off.

 

 

And we know that was the sticking point how?

We've heard every reason as to why not: philosophical, money, staff.

 

Selling off is just another on a list of maybes

Because if Loria was determined to salvage the season he'd still be looking for a big name manager. Sure there may also have been other reasons that Valentine in particular didn't work out, but letting Rodriguez finish almost certainly means Loria couldn't promise any of the big name possibilities that he would stay the course past the trading deadline.

 

As far as we heard, Bobby V was the only big name we considered, let alone interviewed. So we can't say what Loria may or may not have promised. So ever reason is possible. It was pretty much Bobby V or no one, so all those reasons are as valid as the rest. And you know what? For both sides they are not that scandalous: it makes sense that the front office wouldn't promise that the core would stay in tact if that core proved they could not win and Bobby V probably doesn't want to come in midseason and be worried about how to fill in the lineup card

No side is the villain here, at least until we get concrete reason as to why Bobby V fell through

I think that's pretty much what I said. (I did hear a couple of other names mentioned, by the way, though they escape me now.) In any case, I'm not looking for villains, just interested in what this all may mean.

Or at least it means Loria wasn't willing to promise to a Valentine-quality candidate that he wouldn't starting selling off.

 

 

And we know that was the sticking point how?

We've heard every reason as to why not: philosophical, money, staff.

 

Selling off is just another on a list of maybes

Because if Loria was determined to salvage the season he'd still be looking for a big name manager. Sure there may also have been other reasons that Valentine in particular didn't work out, but letting Rodriguez finish almost certainly means Loria couldn't promise any of the big name possibilities that he would stay the course past the trading deadline.

 

As far as we heard, Bobby V was the only big name we considered, let alone interviewed. So we can't say what Loria may or may not have promised. So ever reason is possible. It was pretty much Bobby V or no one, so all those reasons are as valid as the rest. And you know what? For both sides they are not that scandalous: it makes sense that the front office wouldn't promise that the core would stay in tact if that core proved they could not win and Bobby V probably doesn't want to come in midseason and be worried about how to fill in the lineup card

No side is the villain here, at least until we get concrete reason as to why Bobby V fell through

I think that's pretty much what I said. (I did hear a couple of other names mentioned, by the way, though they escape me now.) In any case, I'm not looking for villains, just interested in what this all may mean.

Then we are in agreement :)

You people overrate managers so much it's ridiculous. Good, I'm glad he's staying. At least there's some stability now. Doesn't matter who manages this team; the team isn't good enough. A manager can only do so much. To say the front office is giving up on the season because they left their interim manager in there is silly. The manager isn't going to single-handedly make or break a season. It's up to the players to start playing; judging from the reactions on the bench, he's actually well-liked by the players.

 

 

If they went out and got a permanent replacement such as a Valentine it would at the very least lend the impression that maybe the FO thought they still had a chance to contend. By leaving in a manager whose experience mostly comes from managing short A ball helps lend more to the notion that they're throwing in the towel. No one really thought a manager was going to make or break a season, but whatever move they made would give an idea on the FO's current evaluation of the season and I believe that's what all the comments are about here.

 

 

Or maybe they just thought he was the right guy, at the time. Who cares if he has little managing experience in the big leagues? He still knows the game as well as experienced big league managers. It provides stability to an organization that has had no stability over the last couple of weeks.

What happens if the team just goes on a run with Edwin Rodriguez managing? Which is possible, considering Edwin Rodriguez doesn't play. What will everyone say then?

LOL @ those saying that they are giving up on the season. Seriously guys, do you really think that Bobby Valentine or any other hired manager would really make that huge of a difference. The team is in a bad spot right now, yes, but I highly doubt they are just calling it a season already. Chill out.

No strong feelings either way. Happy for Edwin and the players like him. I do think he might be less of a players manger than Fredi though. I don't think hes gonna be a "hes our guy" type of manger and keep running out a guy struggling. If your sucking stay in the pen.

LOL @ those saying that they are giving up on the season. Seriously guys, do you really think that Bobby Valentine or any other hired manager would really make that huge of a difference. The team is in a bad spot right now, yes, but I highly doubt they are just calling it a season already. Chill out.

 

 

 

I didn't argue the impact that a manager actually has on a game, rather the message it send to the players and the fans. After firing Fredi in order to try to get Valentine before he signed with the Orioles, by not getting him and instead promoting the AAA manager, it really seems like they are just throwing in the towel.

I am getting a good guffaw out of all the columnists slamming Loria for the whole thing. Not so much for what they are saying, but each writer must have gone through a bunch of pictures to choose the worse possible ones to highlight Loria.

LOL @ those saying that they are giving up on the season. Seriously guys, do you really think that Bobby Valentine or any other hired manager would really make that huge of a difference. The team is in a bad spot right now, yes, but I highly doubt they are just calling it a season already. Chill out.

 

 

 

I didn't argue the impact that a manager actually has on a game, rather the message it send to the players and the fans. After firing Fredi in order to try to get Valentine before he signed with the Orioles, by not getting him and instead promoting the AAA manager, it really seems like they are just throwing in the towel.

I don't think that's true. We didn't get Bobby V in the end because Bobby V wasn't the guy we wanted in the end. It has nothing to do with throwing in the towel. Might we throw in the towel? Maybe. Hell, we might have even made that decision already, but I think these two things are unrelated. Who else were we going to get when Bobby V fell though? The AAA manager was basically all we had (and who cares? Baseball is baseball).

I don't think it's that terrible of a thing. I'm just glad it's not Bo Porter.

 

I'm going with this as well.

Here's a quote from Coghlan that I think explains why the FO decided to "settle" on E-Rod:

 

"I think it's huge," outfielder Chris Coghlan said. "It means we don't have to be in limbo. ... I think it gives everybody peace of mind."

 

Once it became clear that Bobby V wasn't going to leap into the manager's seat, rather than have a long drawn out search (that I think is indicative of throwing in the towel for that season. See: The Orioles), the FO decided just to let Edwin remain and see what happens. The whole purpose of the firing in the first place was to shakeup the team and hopefully provide a spark. If the manager search continued indefinitely during the season, there was a danger of getting a mentality of "dragging one's feet" or playing it out until a manager is named and further sinking the team.

LOL @ those saying that they are giving up on the season. Seriously guys, do you really think that Bobby Valentine or any other hired manager would really make that huge of a difference. The team is in a bad spot right now, yes, but I highly doubt they are just calling it a season already. Chill out.

 

 

 

I didn't argue the impact that a manager actually has on a game, rather the message it send to the players and the fans. After firing Fredi in order to try to get Valentine before he signed with the Orioles, by not getting him and instead promoting the AAA manager, it really seems like they are just throwing in the towel.

 

 

1. It's unknown if they even wanted Valentine.

2. I highly doubt the players care. At the end of the day, they're all professionals.

LOL @ those saying that they are giving up on the season. Seriously guys, do you really think that Bobby Valentine or any other hired manager would really make that huge of a difference. The team is in a bad spot right now, yes, but I highly doubt they are just calling it a season already. Chill out.

 

 

 

I didn't argue the impact that a manager actually has on a game, rather the message it send to the players and the fans. After firing Fredi in order to try to get Valentine before he signed with the Orioles, by not getting him and instead promoting the AAA manager, it really seems like they are just throwing in the towel.

 

 

1. It's unknown if they even wanted Valentine.

2. I highly doubt the players care. At the end of the day, they're all professionals.

 

Possibly, but I'm sure they are at least thrilled that the drama is over for now and they can move on with the manager they have now and try to make some noise

Most of us were suspecting this. I have no strong opinions on this really, although its great for him and I'm happy for him.

 

 

I guess you mean after the fact because there were only a couple that even mentioned it as a possibility before it happened.

This is good for stability, but I am sure they did this to save money on Valentine for this year or decided Valentine was too expensive for them.

lol, here's a good sign already:

 

Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said he spent a few days observing his players to see how they handled situations, and one thing he noticed is how Sanchez, who is hitting in the second spot, gave himself up with sacrifice bunts in the first inning twice in the past week.

 

 

When Gaby Sanchez put down a first-inning bunt to advance a runner in Baltimore, Rodriguez didn't say a word. When Sanchez did it again Monday, Rodriguez decided to put his foot down.

 

``[On Tuesday,] before stretch, I kind of talked to him and said, `Listen, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt [the first time],' '' Rodriguez said. ``But, to be honest, I don't like to take the bat away from you. You can hit in the gap, hit a double.' So I don't like that play, and I want him to be a little bit more aggressive.''

 

:thumbup

Nobody has mentioned the way he managed the pen last night. Using three relievers in the 7th and using Tank and Veras for one guy each in a matchup sense. Fredi was more likely to keep a man out there for a whole inning (or more) no matter the matchups even if he struggled. Right away I said, ok thats not something Fredi would have done. But I wasnt sure on opinions about it. Are we liking this strategy? Do you think we'll see it more often from E-Rod?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.