Gaby Sanchez - 2010 Performance Discussion

gizmo

Mystikol brought up the idea in the other thread about doing individual threads for the players so we may better discuss and argue their performance this season.

Our very first topic is Gaby Sanchez

2010 Stats

PA: 634

HR: 19

RBI: 85

BA: .273

OBP: .341

SLG: .488

OPS: .792

OPS+: 107

WAR*: 0.7

BABIP: .299

*Baseball-reference.com WAR

2010 Performance

The 2010 Florida Marlins Rookie of the Year performed above average what I think some of us were expecting this season. Winning the 1B job over Logan Morrison, Gaby got off to a great start reaching base with a .392 OBP in the month of April. After struggling a bit in May, Gaby really turned it on in June, posting impressive numbers in those 26 games (4 HR, 16 RBIs, 1.013 OPS). The last month of the season, however, is what really cost him his chance at the NL ROY, posting a .625 OPS.

Gaby, in a nutshell, was consistent in the fact that he never had back-to-back great months or back-to-back average months.

Using OPS as an example:

April: .817

May: .715

June: 1.013

July: .719

August: .844

Sept/Oct: .625

What To Expect Next Season?

This is a tough one to answer. It's hard to even guess because he may be traded in the offseason for all we know. He's not really the club's long term option at 1B (LoMo having those honors), at least in my opinion. If I had to guess, I'm going to say he's getting traded along with another Marlin to acquire a lefty starter.

However, if he is still a Marlin come 2011, I can see maybe 18-25 HRs, 80-95 RBIs if he is healthy all year. But I'm sure these numbers are debatable. (HENCE THE THREAD!!)

Favorite Moment of 2010?

Do you even have to ask?

http://www.tauntr.com/content/gaby-sanchez-makes-scott-stapp-proud

Thanks for starting this up, Giz.

I had no idea he had 85 RBI. Wow, pretty good. Gaby's a nice piece. An average ML starter for 400k for 2 more years is pretty valuable. Sure, he's not the long-term answer, but that's only because Logan Morrison is a super-baller.

I would really hang onto him unless he's part of a deal for some real, quality starting pitching. Otherwise, we can start the season with one "extra starter" in the field. And maybe whoever is the odd man out can be dealt during the season when some other team has an injury and gets a little desperate for a solid 1B who should be entering his prime.

I like Gaby, but I wish he knew how to play 3B. If he did, then he'd have a real position on this team. Instead, he's probably going to be squeezed out by LoMo.

As far as the season go, it's a solid B. Would've been an A- if he didn't tail off at the end.

Season Grade: B

Why?: He wasn't even a lock to make the team, yet he produced some big hits, and gave the team positive production over the course of the year. He also stayed healthy in a season filled with injuries; solid rookie season.

Offseason hopes: I hope he gets traded for relief pitching, and Morrison takes over 1B. At the end of the day, he's a 26 (27 next year) year old 1B with unspectacular #'s. In a perfect world, Gaby Sanchez isn't an everyday starter at 1B. He's average defensively, and with the bat, he's really not that good against RHP. A good portion of his success, looking at his splits, come against LHP, which he pretty much mashes. That was the case in his minor league career as well, so it's who he is. What he did this year is pretty much who he is in terms of potential, etc. We're not going to get a quality left-handed SP for him; a bullpen arm that can help the team next year is a likely return.

Season Grade: B

Why?: He wasn't even a lock to make the team, yet he produced some big hits, and gave the team positive production over the course of the year. He also stayed healthy in a season filled with injuries; solid rookie season.

Offseason hopes: I hope he gets traded for relief pitching, and Morrison takes over 1B. At the end of the day, he's a 26 (27 next year) year old 1B with unspectacular #'s. In a perfect world, Gaby Sanchez isn't an everyday starter at 1B. He's average defensively, and with the bat, he's really not that good against RHP. A good portion of his success, looking at his splits, come against LHP, which he pretty much mashes. That was the case in his minor league career as well, so it's who he is. What he did this year is pretty much who he is in terms of potential, etc. We're not going to get a quality left-handed SP for him; a bullpen arm that can help the team next year is a likely return.

Him not getting injured was huge as well, since we'd put Helms at 1B.....

He fell off a bit towards the end, but overall he was a solid contributor on the team. I wouldn't want to trade him this offseason because we're banking way too much on Matt Dominguez. If he flops, then we need to go look for a 3B. I don't buy the whole idea that we can afford to have a terrible bat in the lineup for defense. It's going to screw with Dominguez and it's going to cost us more in the long run.

I forgot to bring up defensive stats, if anyone wants to comment on defense feel free.

Defensive stats don't mean anything, but the time Gaby cut in front of me at the vending machine at Fanfest certainly does.

Overall, I'd say he's below average defensively.

I forgot to bring up defensive stats, if anyone wants to comment on defense feel free.

Defensive stats don't mean anything, but the time Gaby cut in front of me at the vending machine at Fanfest certainly does.

Overall, I'd say he's below average defensively.

:notworthy:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Pure Poetry!

Beinfest makes it sound like he will be gone for pen help. I agree. Decent bat, but lacks the defensive skills we need at 1B that Logan does bring. Said at one point during the season that I wouldn't mind trying him at another position in Winter Ball just to keep his bat in the lineup, but that was met with name calling and ridicule. So it looks like the my-way-or-no-way attitude wins. It will be no way. It would be nice to package him and bring in an impact player. Pitcher or catcher. We could put together a pretty tantalizing package without hurting our line up or bench for next season.

Beinfest makes it sound like he will be gone for pen help. I agree. Decent bat, but lacks the defensive skills we need at 1B that Logan does bring. Said at one point during the season that I wouldn't mind trying him at another position in Winter Ball just to keep his bat in the lineup, but that was met with name calling and ridicule. So it looks like the my-way-or-no-way attitude wins. It will be no way. It would be nice to package him and bring in an impact player. Pitcher or catcher. We could put together a pretty tantalizing package without hurting our line up or bench for next season.

I have no idea where you guys keep getting this. I stated in a previous thread that statistically, Logan was a WORSE minor league first baseman than Gaby. Both had 5 years experience at 1B. Here are Fielding%, RF/G, and Rtz for the course of those 5 years:

Logan: .989 / 9.07 / -5

Gaby: .991 / 9.35 / -2

Where would you like Gaby Sanchez to play, if it's not 1B?

He's not good at 3B, and he's not athletic enough to play the OF. His bat isn't good enough that you just keep him in the lineup for his bat. The guy isn't Dan Uggla.

I have no idea where you guys keep getting this. I stated in a previous thread that statistically, Logan was a WORSE minor league first baseman than Gaby. Both had 5 years experience at 1B. Here are Fielding%, RF/G, and Rtz for the course of those 5 years:

Bob saw both play in Spring Training. The rest is irrelevant.

Average defensively at best. Just doesn't have great hands.

Solid Major League hitter.

Will likely have fewer strikeouts and a few more walks and thus a higher BA and OBP but not substantially higher.

25 HRs max. RBIs will depend on his lineup spot. Could do a hundred in four/five.

Plays hard. Could improve his body.

Will be solid starter for five years.

Too bad he has only one position and is only average at that one.

If Morrison is really much better defensively, then Sanchez will be traded soon.

Bob saw both play in Spring Training. The rest is irrelevant.

His eyes saw into the soul of Gabriel Sanchez.

Average defensively at best. Just doesn't have great hands.

Solid Major League hitter.

Will likely have fewer strikeouts and a few more walks and thus a higher BA and OBP but not substantially higher.

25 HRs max. RBIs will depend on his lineup spot. Could do a hundred in four/five.

Plays hard. Could improve his body.

Will be solid starter for five years.

Too bad he has only one position and is only average at that one.

If Morrison is really much better defensively, then Sanchez will be traded soon.

There's something about the way you put up posts that makes me think you are a bot.