John Buck/Carl Pavano

Iowa

The Florida Marlins prime target this offseason is free-agent C John Buck (Blue Jays), FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports. C Yorvit Torrealba (Padres), who lives in Miami, is also a possibility.

The Florida Marlins could make a run at free-agent SP Carl Pavano (Twins) if they trade 2B Dan Uggla, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.

whoops.. didn't see it in the other thread.

As I said in the other thread, I don't want Buck. I'd be ok with Torrealba.

I don't see why they'd be interested in Buck. Considering the guy isn't even good defensively, they might as well just pick up a legit no defense catcher in Victor Martinez, who can at least hit the ball, consistently.

I'd love Pavano on a 1 yr. deal with motivation for pitching for another contract. No long-term deal, though. He might start faking injuries saying he can't pitch because his ass hurts or something.

As I said in the other thread, I don't want Buck. I'd be ok with Torrealba.

I don't see why they'd be interested in Buck. Considering the guy isn't even good defensively, they might as well just pick up a legit no defense catcher in Victor Martinez, who can at least hit the ball, consistently.

I'd love Pavano on a 1 yr. deal with motivation for pitching for another contract. No long-term deal, though. He might start faking injuries saying he can't pitch because his ass hurts or something.

.798 OPS over the last two seasons. He can hit. Calm down.

He's a platoon catcher with horrible .OBP #'s, horrible K/BB ratios, and terrible defense. He's trying to cash in in free agency because he had a career year in terms of power numbers last year.

I'd rather have Torrealba. At least you know what you're getting with him. If Buck's power #'s were to go down to what they were 2 years ago (God forbid), he'd flat out suck. For what it's worth, he wasn't his team's (Royals) starting catcher in 2009.

If we are going to trade Uggla, we have to make up that production somewhere, I think Buck would be a pretty good start. We've lived with mediocre catching.

Is Buck really an improvement over a Baker/Paulino platoon?

The team that seems to want Buck most is the Red Sox, and they want him as a platoon catcher. There's a reason for that. On top of the fact that he sucks defensively, he has a .693 career .OPS against right-handed pitching (.718 in 2010).

Buck seemed to learn how to hit productively under Cito Gaston the last two years, he like so many others will probably be too expensive to sign, but if everything moneywise could be settled I would be more than okay with signing him.

As for Pavano he showed he could be productive in Minnesota this year and will like most other players be too expensive to sign, he would add a veterans perspective to the rotation, wouldn't mind signing him either, but neither of these is going to happen.

He's a platoon catcher with horrible .OBP #'s, horrible K/BB ratios, and terrible defense. He's trying to cash in in free agency because he had a career year in terms of power numbers last year.

I'd rather have Torrealba. At least you know what you're getting with him. If Buck's power #'s were to go down to what they were 2 years ago (God forbid), he'd flat out suck. For what it's worth, he wasn't his team's (Royals) starting catcher in 2009.

That he's a platoon catcher is irrelevant, because catchers aren't playing every day anyways. He's a very good hitter for a catcher, even with the K/BB ratios. He's much better than Paulino in the "lefty masher" role and it's not like Paulino's anything defensively. There's not a lot of downside.

Really don't know why you'd rather have Torrealba, as he's even worse vs. RHP in his career than Buck and the three years prior to this last one, he was equally mediocre in terms of throwing runners out. Maybe he's a better defensive catcher, but is it worth the difference in offense?

I'm not saying I'd love Buck, but I think he's a better option than Torrealba or Paulino, all things considered. And if he can put up a .720 OPS vs RHP then he's ok as a starter but not great.

That he's a platoon catcher is irrelevant, because catchers aren't playing every day anyways. He's a very good hitter for a catcher, even with the K/BB ratios. He's much better than Paulino in the "lefty masher" role and it's not like Paulino's anything defensively. There's not a lot of downside.

He's not any better than Paulino in the "lefty masher" role. Paulino's actually a better hitter against lefties. Paulino might not be anything special defensively...but he's better than Buck. Paulino's also much more cost efficient than Buck. I'll take Paulino.

Seriously, I'd rather have Miguel Olivo, and I hated Olivo when he was here. John Buck is basically Miguel Olivo without Olivo's throwing arm.

Can we still lure him with Alyssa Milano or something? Has that ship sailed?

Would you still be lured by this?

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=543543

I dang well would (if I weren't happily married, of course :thumbup)

I'd MUCH rather stick with what we have than to actually pay for trash. (Buck).

I don't see how Buck is trash but as for sticking with what we've got, I'm for it. But there seems to be some question about whether the FO wants Ronnie back, because of his drug suspension.

Career .243/.301/.421/.722 hitter with a k/bb ratio of almost 6/1 with bad D?

Trash.

If he was a good defensive catcher I'd say go for it if super cheap.

Plus, Buck is going to have a lot of suitors for whatever reason this winter. I know Boston is interested, as they don't seem to believe V-Mart will resign. There's probably another team or two that would also offer him a contract far over his value because he's the 2nd best catcher on the market.