December 18, 201015 yr Two days ago, reports started to surface that Ricky Nolasco and the Marlins had reached an impasse in their long term contract talks. Well...That didn't last long. Last night, there was a major breakthrough, and both sides agreed to a 3 year contract that is worth $26.5 million. The deal ensures that Nolasco won't be going to arbitration the next two years, and the Marlins will have him under contract for his first year of free agency. Ricky Nolasco has been a part of the Marlins organization since December of 2005, when he, along with Sergio Mitre and Renyel Pinto were traded from the Cubs. The Cubs received speedster Juan Pierre in return. Nolasco was at his best during the second half of the 2008 season, when he posted a 3.29 ERA with 98 strikeouts compared to 12 walks. This led to high expectations for him heading into the 2009 season. He floundered to begin the season, posting a 9.07 ERA in the first two months of the season before being sent down to the minors. Upon his return, he put up solid numbers in the second half. In 2010, he had a solid season, although he once again didn't meet the team's and the fan's expectations. This led to constant questions about his long term future with the team. When the Yankees missed out on Cliff Lee, there was talk that the Yankees could possibly go after another top rate pitcher via a trade. Soon after Ricky Nolasco's name came up as a possible target for teams, including the Yankees, that were desperate for starting pitching. Although talks never really started, it was assumed that if Nolasco didn't sign an extension before the season started, he would've been traded. This contract ensures that the Marlins will have a Josh Johnson and Ricky Nolasco at the top of their rotation for the next 3 seasons. If Nolasco can gain consistency in his performance and become the number two pitcher he is expected to be, then this deal could become one of the best contracts in Marlins history. A rotation that now includes Nolasco for the long term should make the Marlins rotation one of the best in all of baseball for a long time coming... Just as long as somebody else ties Ricky's shoes from now on. Click here to view the article
December 20, 201015 yr UPDATE The Marlins and Ricky Nolasco are putting the finishing touches on a three-year contract that will be worth about $27 million, according to an industry source.The contract is not yet finalized, but both sides came close to terms on Sunday night. The deal is expected to be finalized after completion of a physical. Nolasco made $3.8 million in 2010. With Nolasco returning, it puts to rest speculation that the right-hander could be dangled in trade talks. Second all-time in Marlins' history in victories with 54, Nolasco will enter 2011 in position to catch the team's all-time leader, Dontrelle Willis (68). Nolasco was 14-9 with a 4.51 ERA in an injury-shortened 2010 season. In 157 2/3 innings, he struck out 147 and walked 33. In September, he was shut down due to a torn meniscus in his right knee, which required surgery. The procedure went well, and he will be at full strength at the start of Spring Training. -- Joe Frisaro http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/12/nolasco_close_to_signing_3-yea.html
December 20, 201015 yr So, add Nolasco to JJ and Ramirez. I'm not sure if we over paid or not, though.
December 20, 201015 yr 9 million per season isn't bad. i'm sure the FO wanted 7 and he wanted 10 per so they kinda met somewhere in between
December 20, 201015 yr Kinda worried that we don't have much of a payroll, and we're spending a lot of it on pitching. It's pretty risky, especially in this case considering Nolasco's inconsistencies the past couple of years. Hopefully he lives up to his peripherals, but I think $9 million per year (and I assume it's a backloaded contract) is a bit too much for Nolasco. Again...hopefully he lives up to his peripherals.
December 20, 201015 yr I'm really surprised they gave him $9M. My reaction to this was basically "How the hell? Why the hell? How the hell?".
December 20, 201015 yr Yeah, not thrilled paying him $9 million considering he's very inconsistent. I would say $6-7 mil is more reasonable. Although I suppose it's better than trading him for the Braves' leftovers...
December 20, 201015 yr Overpaid, IMO, but not terribly. Isn't this basically one year of FA bought out? Seems kind of steep to me.
December 20, 201015 yr Isn't this basically one year of FA bought out? Seems kind of steep to me. Yes, we're buying out his last two years of arbitration, as well as his first FA year. Considering we would have control that's a bit excessive. Johnson's contract made more sense because it buys out more FA years.
December 20, 201015 yr It's not as bad as I feared, but I still seems a bit higher than I would have gone. The problem with Nolasco is that he's been so inconsistent the last couple of seasons that only an absolute bargain would have thrilled me. Perhaps something more like a 3/$21MM.
December 20, 201015 yr Yeah, not thrilled paying him $9 million considering he's very inconsistent. I would say $6-7 mil is more reasonable. Although I suppose it's better than trading him for the Braves' leftovers... I'd still like to see where Wren called Infante a "utility player," and furthermore, called Dunn a "minor league reliever."
December 20, 201015 yr Yeah, not thrilled paying him $9 million considering he's very inconsistent. I would say $6-7 mil is more reasonable. Although I suppose it's better than trading him for the Braves' leftovers... I'd still like to see where Wren called Infante a "utility player," and furthermore, called Dunn a "minor league reliever." Wren didn't say that, but he was surprised (according to Jim Bowden) that he was able to get Uggla for just two players.
December 20, 201015 yr Yeah, not thrilled paying him $9 million considering he's very inconsistent. I would say $6-7 mil is more reasonable. Although I suppose it's better than trading him for the Braves' leftovers... I'd still like to see where Wren called Infante a "utility player," and furthermore, called Dunn a "minor league reliever." Wren didn't say that, but he was surprised (according to Jim Bowden) that he was able to get Uggla for just two players. Good to know you were just using hyperbole in that other thread then. Is there anyway to hear that interview online? I've been googling to find it, but I've found nothing.
December 20, 201015 yr Yes! Nolasco is a winner and I'm happy to have him sign an extension. Since JJ and Hanley have signed theirs things have looked kind of bleak, I'm worried that the players on the team are getting so sick of everyone getting sent out that they just don't believe the Marlins are worth signing an extension for when they can try to hold out for FA money and playing for a team in better position to win.
December 20, 201015 yr Yes! Nolasco is a winner and I'm happy to have him sign an extension. Since JJ and Hanley have signed theirs things have looked kind of bleak, I'm worried that the players on the team are getting so sick of everyone getting sent out that they just don't believe the Marlins are worth signing an extension for when they can try to hold out for FA money and playing for a team in better position to win. I really think you're overreacting with this. I don't think players care as much as you imply when their teammates leave because they know that this is a business, and both sides will always do what they feel is best for business, etc. The Marlins are having no problems attracting players. Nolasco's about to sign this deal, and they've actually signed three free agents this offseason. It's really not a big deal...
December 20, 201015 yr Yeah, not thrilled paying him $9 million considering he's very inconsistent. I would say $6-7 mil is more reasonable. Although I suppose it's better than trading him for the Braves' leftovers... I'd still like to see where Wren called Infante a "utility player," and furthermore, called Dunn a "minor league reliever." Wren didn't say that, but he was surprised (according to Jim Bowden) that he was able to get Uggla for just two players. Good to know you were just using hyperbole in that other thread then. Is there anyway to hear that interview online? I've been googling to find it, but I've found nothing. Well, I can tell you that it was on FOX Sports radio last Saturday, around 1:30-2 PM. Whatever program was on at that point, he was talking to them about baseball things and Bowden briefly mentioned the Uggla deal and talking to Frank Wren at the winter meetings.
December 20, 201015 yr That's Josh Johnson money...and sneaking up on Hanley Ramirez money...Ricky Nolasco is not in the same tier as the two of them. Surely, it's not 3/$27....I wouldn't go higher than 3/$24 guaranteed. The guy has had one good season, and is coming off of injury. He has zero leverage.
December 20, 201015 yr I was hoping for a little less, but it's great to know that we have 4/5 of the rotation locked up for at least 2011 and 2012, and we have basically the entire bullpen for the same period, as well. Tons of continuity, and tons of talented arms. Can the "Marlins never give players contract [so that's why Uggla wanted to leave]" comments cease now, please? Thank you.
December 20, 201015 yr Don't know why people aren't pleased with this. 3 years, $26.5 million seems about right to me. If Nolasco were on the FA market right now, he'd easily get $9-10 million a season if not more. The deal will likely breakout as $6, $9, $11.5, or something like that. It's a fair deal for both sides. Also, it's just a great feeling that now with the stadium in place, the Marlins are starting to operate like an actual Major Leage team.
December 20, 201015 yr Don't know why people aren't pleased with this. 3 years, $26.5 million seems about right to me. If Nolasco were on the FA market right now, he'd easily get $9-10 million a season if not more. The deal will likely breakout as $6, $9, $11.5, or something like that. It's a fair deal for both sides. Also, it's just a great feeling that now with the stadium in place, the Marlins are starting to operate like an actual Major Leage team. But that's the thing... he isn't on the FA market right now. He is still under club control for 2 more years. So with this contract, we're only buying out 1 FA year. I think the Marlins are hoping Ricky has a superb year next year so we save money on his final year of arb + 1st FA year. If Ricky puts up his same peripherals with an ERA in the low-mid 3's (which he can easily do if his HR/9 comes down to earth) than this deal will be a steal because he would likely command 8-9MM in arb next year and 10+ MIL on the open market.
December 20, 201015 yr Most of you aren't into 3/26.5 ... just curious, how would u have felt about 4 years/ $27? I know its longer but at least buy out one more year of FA for the same price?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.