Batting Practice in New Ballpark

It won't be ready. But it will drum up some attention, it will be something that the media will cover, a few players hitting while the place is still under construction. I'm just dreading the possibility of a "Mike Stanton will miss the first month of the season after developing lockjaw from stepping on a nail during batting practice at the new stadium construction site" story.

It won't be ready. But it will drum up some attention, it will be something that the media will cover, a few players hitting while the place is still under construction. I'm just dreading the possibility of a "Mike Stanton will miss the first month of the season after developing lockjaw from stepping on a nail during batting practice at the new stadium construction site" story.

Ehh... I think there'd be a bit more to worry about than a month of baseball if someone were to get Tetanus... it's a potentially fatal disease.

Ehh... I think there'd be a bit more to worry about than a month of baseball if someone were to get Tetanus... it's a potentially fatal disease.

Fatal? Maybe 200 years ago before antibiotics. Granted, if Tetanus goes untreated early the latter treatments can be pretty painful, but not a big deal nowadays.

Here is an awesome picture taken within the stadium looking towards the city. Got it from LoMo's Twitter:

For those who can't see the photo in Schnellers' link.

No photo or rendering of the ballpark has made me more excited.

That's beautiful right there. Not a good time to leave Miami (at least 5 years for me).

Edit: Is that the LCD screen I see on the far right?

Fatal? Maybe 200 years ago before antibiotics. Granted, if Tetanus goes untreated early the latter treatments can be pretty painful, but not a big deal nowadays.

Well not fatal as it used to be... but it probably still has a high mortality rate (something like %5-10 I'd guess).

Well not fatal as it used to be... but it probably still has a high mortality rate (something like %5-10 I'd guess).

Wikipedia* says 11% "in recent years".

Yeah I get what you're saying. I was just trying to make a point that anyone with access to medical care shouldn't die from tetanus. Of course this isn't the case with the aforementioned 7-11% of the cases in the US. By the way the number of cases each year barely reaches 40 and most of those are probably 'injecting-drug users' (what they call them).

Wikipedia* says 11% "in recent years".

Don't know why, but I'm actually surprised it's that high. Of course now that you say it I guess I can see the reasons why, just not something I would have guessed. I get a booster shot every couple of years and you don't even need to see a doctor to get one.

I'm guessing the majority of the people that died are in 3rd world counties without available medical care and what not. Or people that just had it undiagnosed. But I think that if you get to a doctor on time, Tetanus is no big deal anymore.

Plus, I love all this Wikipedia quoting! Brings me back to my Middle School years when entire research papers were done on Wikipedia and I would just paste the URL in my bibliography :lol