Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Nyjer Morgan thinks Ricky Nolasco purposely plunked him

Featured Replies

From Hardball Talk.

 

Aaron Gleeman

Mar 14, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

 

Ricky Nolasco hit Nyjer Morgan with a pitch yesterday and Morgan said afterward that he believes it was on purpose, as payback for his a) separating catcher Chris Hayes’ shoulder on a collision at the plate and then b) charging the mound and throwing a punch at Chris Volstad the next day.

 

Both those incidents occurred during the final month of the season and resulted in a seven-game suspension for Morgan, so if Nolasco and the Marlins were indeed holding a grudge it wouldn’t have taken a particularly long memory.

 

Here’s what Morgan told Bill Ladson of MLB.com yesterday when asked if the plunking was on purpose:

 

No question, without a doubt. It’s obvious because of what happened last year. Obviously, they haven’t turned the page. But I’m going to be a stronger player, better person. I’m not going to react to it.

Morgan went on to say that, rather than get into another altercation, he chose to simply take first base, steal second base, and come around to score a run. Or as he put it: “I felt more satisfied after that than staring at him and putting on my mean mug.�

 

Ladson reports that “Nolasco denied trying to hit Morgan on purpose� and also hit Danny Espinosa in what was his first appearance of the spring after being sidelined by a thumb injury. No word yet on the status of Nolasco’s mean mug.

Well, if he thinks this time was on purpose, the next time definitely should be.

I mean Nolasco didn't just hit Morgan, he hit Valencia and walked another batter, he's coming off of a thumb injury. He's going to be shaky.

 

What an idiot.

He probably did do it on purpose. Nyjer Morgan is a disgrace to humanity so who cares. I like how he said he was going to be the "better man." No, he just didn't want to get close lined again by Gabby.

If he really thought it was on purpose then how come no Marlins players were hit? Espinosa's was clearly not intentional, but I'm sure someone on the Nats said something about hitting a Marlin after that.

I have a feeling Morgan is going to get himself a reality tv show sometime soon. He's Ochocinco with more crazy and less funny.

Hey you guys, give him some credit. He's gone from charging the mound to crying to the media. That's a whole step up in this world.

Hey you guys, give him some credit. He's gone from charging the mound to crying to the media. That's a whole step up in this world.

 

 

I lol'd.

 

This would make him a bit more like TO than Ochocinco, though, no?

Hey you guys, give him some credit. He's gone from charging the mound to crying to the media. That's a whole step up in this world.

 

 

I lol'd.

 

This would make him a bit more like TO than Ochocinco, though, no?

 

Factor in some Randy Moss in there and you've got a deal.

No, the next time it will be on purpose, will be when Mike Dunn is on the mound slinging 99.

 

He'll probably miss

Wait till the regular season, then it will be on purpose.

 

 

I thought it was on purpose too. Partly because of where it hit him and the speed of the pitch. Factor in the crowd was booing him from his introduction. I think alot of folks in the crowd were expecting it. And this was the right time to do it. ST, let him know we haven't forgotten and will be watching his actions on the field.

 

The second plunking wasn't on purpose. You don't throw at a guy's head under any circumstance. And Ricky was visibly concerned when the player didn't get right up, even walking towards the plate.

 

No Marlins were hit because the Nats know we have something against Morgan. And I would think they understand the reasons. They obviously didn't want to set a precedent with us knowing how many times we play each other through the year.

I personally love it, until one of our players gets hurt. Morgan is a d-bag and you need a good rivalry ever once in a while with a hated player. I just want to see gaby hulk-smash Morgan into the mound again.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.