Stadium Name To Be Revealed Whenever They Feel Like It

gizmo

You guys.. the whole domain name thing is a bunch of hogwash. People will register that for like 10 bucks.

If the Marlins decide upon Bacardi, for example, the Marlins will not buy the domain from someone who registered it for much at all.

Instead they'll just register Bacardi-Ballpark or become creative. People who try and buy domains to make money are stupid. It doesn't work.

Unless you register icloud.com and get 4.5 million from apple.

or sex.com and get $10 million.

But those are things that can't be bypassed, and for a website/company that operates on a larger level.

And that domain was probably locked up well before any speculation was even present.

99/100 times you wont get anything out of a $200-$400 check, and that's if they're willing to even do so.

They don't have to settle for that at all.

Like Rab said, that's cybersquatting. You can't just take Bacardi's namesake for your own profit.

Stuff like icloud and sex and whatever are all vague and were probably registered well before the development of the product, website, or company.

The first thing I'm gonna do when I finish building my time machine is go back 20 years and register Microsoft.com. I'll accept nothing less than 5 billion for it from Mr. Gates. Then I'll take that money and go back to 1980 and buy 5 billion dollars worth of Microsoft stock. Or whatever the maximum is I can buy.:cool I think that would make me rich enough to pay off the national debt.

The first thing I'm gonna do when I finish building my time machine is go back 20 years and register Microsoft.com. I'll accept nothing less than 5 billion for it from Mr. Gates. Then I'll take that money and go back to 1980 and buy 5 billion dollars worth of Microsoft stock. Or whatever the maximum is I can buy.:cool I think that would make me rich enough to pay off the national debt.

But would you? :mischief

Yes. A failed profession.

It doesn't work. Except for the few special cases such as iCloud.com and sex.com and the sort.

And those weren't even cases of cybersquatting. They were just already registered and ended up being sold.

If the name ends up being Bacardi Ballpark, I can't see the Marlins going to court over a web domain if the owner is smart and willing to sell it for a couple thousand dollars. While winning the suit would result in the squatter paying for the Marlins' legal fees, it's the time that they won't be able to get back. You want that domain now, rather than a few months after you announce it. Time has a price, and that price is pretty high if you're a large entity. I can't see any crappy reparations they get off of the squatter being proper compensation especially since - if the squatter is smart - the price of buying the domain will be nothing to the Marlins or Bacardi.

And it isn't a failed profession. You just need to very good at pushing the envelope just far enough :$ You probably can't make enough money to live off of, but I guess you get the satisfaction of being a pretty cool cyberdouche when you get called up for the domain.

That's just it... they wouldn't settle for anything that is a couple thousand dollars.

It's definitely a failed profession. You've got to be kidding if you think anybody actually succeeds at cybersquatting. Go check eBay with that stuff. They hardly ever sell, and if they do it's for dirt cheap.

Also, don't for a second think that the Marlins don't already have the domain that they're going to use.

That's just it... they wouldn't settle for anything that is a couple thousand dollars.

It's definitely a failed profession. You've got to be kidding if you think anybody actually succeeds at cybersquatting. Go check eBay with that stuff. They hardly ever sell, and if they do it's for dirt cheap.

Also, don't for a second think that the Marlins don't already have the domain that they're going to use.

Yes they would... If the alternative is to go to court and almost certainly lose money, they're going to make the price reasonable.

People do succeed at cybersquatting. Nobody buys domains on eBay. What the hell, lol (I guess maybe to avoid the fees the other services cost, but come on). I don't think you've ever tried to buy a domain before. You usually go to a company that offers the service (let's say GoDaddy.com) and type out your desired URL. They'll tell you if it's available or not, give you alternative options, or give you the option to try and contact the current owner and buy it off of them. If you're selling it on Ebay, you're already admitting that you've bought it to resell, which is illegal under the ACPA.

Like I said, you aren't going to make a living out of it, but don't think there's no incentive to doing it. The Marlins may very well have their domain but, if they don't, they aren't going to sue some schmoe in Nebraska for it if the alternative is to pay chump change for instant access to it. It isn't a fight to see who has the bigger legal balls.

:lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_1342wt_1160

Who's the buyer?

It's only $21,000,000. Sounds reasonable. As if it's gonna be purchased.

Don't ignore everything else on the page.

http://shop.ebay.com...-All-Categories

You've got a few loons, but most are reasonable. Not to mention that gold.com should be sold for quite a lot. Maybe not 21,000,000, but it's definitely alluring to those gold companies. I'm sure that guy is going to get heaps for it, especially if he's got something decent running on it that doesn't just make it seem like he bought it to resell it. If the guy's a moron and actually wants 21,000,000 for it, THEN you take legal action. Any serious company will offer something more than reasonable and act if the person returns with another outrageous offer.

Who's the buyer?

You've got a few loons, but most are reasonable. Not to mention that gold.com should be sold for quite a lot. Maybe not 21,000,000, but it's definitely alluring to those gold companies. I'm sure that guy is going to get heaps for it, especially if he's got something decent running on it that doesn't just make it seem like he bought it to resell it. If the guy's a moron and actually wants 21,000,000 for it, THEN you take legal action. Any serious company will offer something more than reasonable and act if the person returns with another outrageous offer.

Lol that's not the point... they ALL have 0 bids. It's a failed business. If the Marlins had to buy it, they didn't pay anything outside of something like $300 or $400. They will not/would not cough up a couple thousand dollars.

Who's the buyer?

Lol that's not the point... they ALL have 0 bids. It's a failed business. If the Marlins had to buy it, they didn't pay anything outside of something like $300 or $400. They will not/would not cough up a couple thousand dollars.

I didn't say it was a booming business (my profession comment was more in reference to it being more intricate than just buying retarded domains and just trying to sell them all). I'm just telling you there's incentive to pick some up to resell, especially if they cost you pennies. You won't make a living, but people have made money out of it. The Marlins would definitely pay a couple thousand dollars for it. You have to understand that the time that the legal process would waste would probably, in their minds, be worth a few thousand dollars. Remember that this isn't you or me, this is a corporation - and if it's Bacardi picking up the tab, I'm sure it'll be even easier for them to pay it.

And there are no offers because nobody buys domain names off of eBay lol. But, for the record, there are a few bids on that page. It's only a handful, though. Most people try and buy the domain they want through some service and realize they can't get it through there and contact the owner for a fee. The people who are buying domains off eBay are either picking up domains they think will cost more later on, trying to avoid the commission that services charge for getting you into contact with the owner of the domain, or are just plain retarded.

I'll even give you a real life example:

My old RuneScape clan closed in May of 2008, and we're looking to reopen. The domain (http://runeraiders.com/) was bought by a cybersquatter (or sold to a company that squats by the person who owned it before.) If I were to try and file something to get it for free, it'll take me forever - not to mention that the guy who owned it lives in the Netherlands and I doubt these laws stretch across borders. On the other hand, I could probably give the guy 30 bucks and get it. Now, multiply those 30 bucks by a lot, since the Marlins (and definitely Bacardi) deal in much larger money. I'm sure 3,000 dollars would cause less of a dent to them than 30 bucks would to me. Look at the prices that they're selling things for on eBay, and you'll get a pretty decent indication. The more relevant the domain is, the more it costs because the more people are willing to pay for it. The gold.com guy is an idiot - or maybe he just set it really high to get attention among all of the other domains, or maybe he just wants to negotiate his price and figures no one will pay 21 mil for it, but he'll probably get more than a few thousand dollars for it.

Yeah, you're right. It's a little different in this situation.

However my initial posts were more in regards to stuff like movies. There was an NPR special on the killing of Osama Bin Laden and how hundreds of domains were registered for like 'www.osamamovie.com and stuff like that. And how none of them are going to sell. And none of them do sell, because the film makers just get creative.

Yeah, you're right. It's a little different in this situation.

However my initial posts were more in regards to stuff like movies. There was an NPR special on the killing of Osama Bin Laden and how hundreds of domains were registered for like 'www.osamamovie.com and stuff like that. And how none of them are going to sell. And none of them do sell, because the film makers just get creative.

Oh yea, definitely. Those people are shooting blindly and given the fact that you know you're going to need that domain years in advance, I'm sure they'll offer those people chump change and take it to court if it doesn't suit them. They've got a bunch of time.