Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Carlos Zambrano Acquired

Featured Replies

Isn't the arbitration estimate for Volstad closer to $2-2.5MM? If the Marlins pay just a little more ($3 MM) for the better pitcher with much more potential, that's still a pretty good deal.

 

Those people who care a lot about players' "attitude" and "work environment" won't be happy.

 

 

O-d T-m-r

 

Would you like to buy a vowel?

Hmm I'm more a fan of my original trade draft that has Zambrano coming here and Nolasco going to Chicago, where Chicago eats Zambrano's last year, we eat Nolasco's first year, and then they inherit Nolasco's contract when Zambrano becomes a FA.

 

Oh well, hopefully this doesn't mean we can't afford Oswalt or another pitcher. I'd love to make one last acquisition.

  • Author

Isn't the arbitration estimate for Volstad closer to $2-2.5MM? If the Marlins pay just a little more ($3 MM) for the better pitcher with much more potential, that's still a pretty good deal.

 

Those people who care a lot about players' "attitude" and "work environment" won't be happy.

 

 

Chris Volstad has a great attitude. He'll go far in this league. So does Jo-Jo Reyes

Isn't the arbitration estimate for Volstad closer to $2-2.5MM? If the Marlins pay just a little more ($3 MM) for the better pitcher with much more potential, that's still a pretty good deal.

 

Those people who care a lot about players' "attitude" and "work environment" won't be happy.

 

 

Volstad's arbitration will be $2,500,000 range, so the higher end of your scale.

 

So yes, it's basically an upgrade for no additional payroll.

Isn't the arbitration estimate for Volstad closer to $2-2.5MM? If the Marlins pay just a little more ($3 MM) for the better pitcher with much more potential, that's still a pretty good deal.

 

Those people who care a lot about players' "attitude" and "work environment" won't be happy.

 

 

JCR says we're paying Zambrano 2.5. MLB trade rumors says 3. Either way, pretty awesome.

 

This is free because Volstad would've been making that much. Free upgrade.

  • Author

Hmm I'm more a fan of my original trade draft that has Zambrano coming here and Nolasco going to Chicago, where Chicago eats Zambrano's last year, we eat Nolasco's first year, and then they inherit Nolasco's contract when Zambrano becomes a FA.

 

Oh well, hopefully this doesn't mean we can't afford Oswalt or another pitcher. I'd love to make one last acquisition.

 

 

I'm fairly certain this is it as far as acquiring pitchers is concern. All they wanted was to upgrade Volstad, which Z is. Nolasco is here to stay at least 1 more year.

Hmm I'm more a fan of my original trade draft that has Zambrano coming here and Nolasco going to Chicago, where Chicago eats Zambrano's last year, we eat Nolasco's first year, and then they inherit Nolasco's contract when Zambrano becomes a FA.

 

Oh well, hopefully this doesn't mean we can't afford Oswalt or another pitcher. I'd love to make one last acquisition.

 

I'm pretty sure this will be the rotation going into the season.

#Marlins view Big Z as fifth starter. They'll pay him $2M-$3M. And they add to their rotation w/o trading Stanton or @LoMoMarlins.#MLB

- Rosenthal

 

Even Rosenthal is that stupid? Why is Stanton's name even in consideration? For God's sake Stanton is not getting traded merely to upgrade our pitching rotation, much less at all. Especially in a market full of pitching availability.

Hmm I'm more a fan of my original trade draft that has Zambrano coming here and Nolasco going to Chicago, where Chicago eats Zambrano's last year, we eat Nolasco's first year, and then they inherit Nolasco's contract when Zambrano becomes a FA.

 

Oh well, hopefully this doesn't mean we can't afford Oswalt or another pitcher. I'd love to make one last acquisition.

 

I'm pretty sure this will be the rotation going into the season.

 

Yeah I know.

 

Just... y'know... my absolute distaste for Ricky Nolasco makes me dream.

#Marlins view Big Z as fifth starter. They'll pay him $2M-$3M. And they add to their rotation w/o trading Stanton or @LoMoMarlins.#MLB

- Rosenthal

 

Even Rosenthal is that stupid? Why is Stanton's name even in consideration? For God's sake Stanton is not getting traded merely to upgrade our pitching rotation, much less at all. Especially in a market full of pitching availability.

Well, Harold Reynolds still thinks we're going to be trading Hanley, and Rosenthal n Reynolds are co-workers, so ...

  • Author

Hmm I'm more a fan of my original trade draft that has Zambrano coming here and Nolasco going to Chicago, where Chicago eats Zambrano's last year, we eat Nolasco's first year, and then they inherit Nolasco's contract when Zambrano becomes a FA.

 

Oh well, hopefully this doesn't mean we can't afford Oswalt or another pitcher. I'd love to make one last acquisition.

 

I'm pretty sure this will be the rotation going into the season.

 

Yeah I know.

 

Just... y'know... my absolute distaste for Ricky Nolasco makes me dream.

#Marlins view Big Z as fifth starter. They'll pay him $2M-$3M. And they add to their rotation w/o trading Stanton or @LoMoMarlins.#MLB

- Rosenthal

 

Even Rosenthal is that stupid? Why is Stanton's name even in consideration? For God's sake Stanton is not getting traded merely to upgrade our pitching rotation, much less at all. Especially in a market full of pitching availability.

 

I don't think it was in consideration. I think he was referring to when the A's wanted Stanton for Gio. Cubs probably said the same thing when asked for Garza.

Anyone else think it's weird that we went after Zambrano?

 

Did you know that Carlos Zambrano is not left-handed when he's on the mound?

 

While I like the deal, the bottom line is that Zambrano is not a perfect fit................because he's not left-handed.

Anyone else think it's weird that we went after Zambrano?

 

Did you know that Carlos Zambrano is not left-handed when he's on the mound?

 

While I like the deal, the bottom line is that Zambrano is not a perfect fit................because he's not left-handed.

 

Trollerick

I love the perspective, we generally like this deal-cub fans writing on mlb.com that they really like a young pitcher with an upside vs Z.

 

Never, ever, ever... read mlb.com comments.

and there's still money to get another bat?

 

 

It wouldn't surprise me if this is the team going into Spring Training. We've spent plenty on three free agents and we don't really have a need anymore.

 

The lineup was already solidified after the Reyes signing, the Bell signing solidified the bullpen, and the Buehrle signing + this trade solidifies the rotation.

Even the bench, we just gave Dobbs a two-year deal yesterday.

 

I think we're basically just waiting for March/April now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.