Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Carlos Zambrano Acquired

Featured Replies

#cubs will eat all of Zambrano's $18 million salary minus minimum in trade with #marlins for Volstad

-Spencer

 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

 

PULL THE TRIGGER!!!

 

 

Also, sup with Clark Spencer reporting POSITIVE things lately?

Well damn, if they are eating all of it, it pretty much becomes a no brainer. League minimum for a guy who could potentially be #3 on the staff? Sign me up.

We'd have 3 or 4 pitchers who are decent hitters then, if we pull this trade off.

JJ, Zambrano, Buehrle [ain't too bad, he has a homer!], and Ricky's run into a couple.

We'd have 3 or 4 pitchers who are decent hitters then, if we pull this trade off.

JJ, Zambrano, Buehrle [ain't too bad, he has a homer!], and Ricky's run into a couple.

 

Beinfest is using his f***ing noggin! in the NL having a starting pitcher that can hit, let alone several, is really really smart

I'm a little surprised the Marlins aren't sending the ~2.5 million that would be Volstad's salary, or rather subtract that amount from what the Cubs are giving us. The cubs are gonna pay 17.6 million, plus 2.5 million for Volstad's salary? Geez

I love the idea of Zambrano in a walk year. He's only 30. He could get a big deal if he doesn't act like to much of an asshole and throws to his ability. Great move if the Cubs are indeed eating all that cash.

I love the idea of Zambrano in a walk year. He's only 30. He could get a big deal if he doesn't act like to much of an asshole and throws to his ability. Great move if the Cubs are indeed eating all that cash.

 

I think Ozzie could keep him calmed. Hopefully, anyways.

I'm a little surprised the Marlins aren't sending the ~2.5 million that would be Volstad's salary, or rather subtract that amount from what the Cubs are giving us. The cubs are gonna pay 17.6 million, plus 2.5 million for Volstad's salary? Geez

 

I'm worried that it might be too good to be true, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up until the money situation has been confirmed.

sounds like this is pretty much done pending physical. Cubs pay 15 of the 18 mil.

 

 

WTF. I have to start liking Carlos Zambrano now???!!

 

freaking baseball. :bangdesk

 

 

 

 

but yeah good stuff here. :thumbup

 

So what does this mean? The Marlins pay for Volstad and $500k of Zambrano?

Apparently, the Cubs are paying 15 of the 18 million, which is still quite a deal. We're basically getting him for free since the 3 million we're going to pay him next year would've been the approximate amount we would've had to pay Volstad.

 

We basically get the better pitcher and the Cubs pay 15 million to someone who's not even with them anymore.

I'm a little surprised the Marlins aren't sending the ~2.5 million that would be Volstad's salary, or rather subtract that amount from what the Cubs are giving us. The cubs are gonna pay 17.6 million, plus 2.5 million for Volstad's salary? Geez

 

I'm worried that it might be too good to be true, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up until the money situation has been confirmed.

 

MLBTR updated it, Cubs are paying 15 million, which goes along with what I was saying. No way Theo gets fleeced that bad.

  • Author

Seriously, if all we gave up is Volstad then this is fantastic.

I'm a little surprised the Marlins aren't sending the ~2.5 million that would be Volstad's salary, or rather subtract that amount from what the Cubs are giving us. The cubs are gonna pay 17.6 million, plus 2.5 million for Volstad's salary? Geez

 

I'm worried that it might be too good to be true, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up until the money situation has been confirmed.

 

MLBTR updated it, Cubs are paying 15 million, which goes along with what I was saying. No way Theo gets fleeced that bad.

 

He still got fleeced.

I'm a little surprised the Marlins aren't sending the ~2.5 million that would be Volstad's salary, or rather subtract that amount from what the Cubs are giving us. The cubs are gonna pay 17.6 million, plus 2.5 million for Volstad's salary? Geez

 

I'm worried that it might be too good to be true, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up until the money situation has been confirmed.

 

MLBTR updated it, Cubs are paying 15 million, which goes along with what I was saying. No way Theo gets fleeced that bad.

 

They still have to pay him 15 million to not pitch for the Cubs. Theo really isn't in a position not to get fleeced here. He didn't, after all, sign Z to the large contract, though.

Good deal for us. Low risk if all we gave up was Volstad and if Zambrano can return to his old form then this will be great.

Isn't the arbitration estimate for Volstad closer to $2-2.5MM? If the Marlins pay just a little more ($3 MM) for the better pitcher with much more potential, that's still a pretty good deal.

 

Those people who care a lot about players' "attitude" and "work environment" won't be happy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.