Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Carlos Zambrano Acquired

Featured Replies

I just got online. Who'd we trade?

 

 

Volstad. The Cubs are eating 15 million of the 18 million for Zambrano.

 

This is an extremely Marlins move. Even with the Miami Marlins name and the willingness to spend, I love that this team still has that old Marlins "trying to find a bargain" mindset they previously had.

I was thinking this myself.

Thats basically our set team give or take one or two additions/subtractions out of Oviedo, Cousins, Petersen, Ceda, LeBlanc, Green and the formality of making at least a preliminary offer on Cespedes.

I mean, realistically this team was planning on spending $7-10m/y for a pitcher. that's about what Cespedes is asking for.

C John Buck $6,000,000

1B Gaby Sanchez $500,000

2B Omar Infante $4,000,000

3B Hanley Ramirez $15,000,000

SS Jose Reyes $10,000,000

LF Logan Morrison $490,000

CF Emilio Bonifacio $2,000,000 arb projection

RF Mike Stanton $490,000

B Greg Dobbs $1,500,000

B Donnie Murphy $700,000 arb projection

B Chris Coghlan $550,000

B Bryan Petersen $490,000

B Brett Hayes $490,000

SP Josh Johnson $13,750,000

SP Mark Buerhle $6,000,000

SP Ricky Nolasco $9,000,000

SP Anibal Sanchez $7,500,000 arb projection

SP Carlos Zambrano $3,000,000

RP Heath Bell $6,000,000

RP Edward Mujica $1,600,000 arb projection

RP Randy Choate $1,500,000

RP Ryan Webb $500,000

RP Mike Dunn $490,000

RP Steve Cishek $490,000

RP Jose Ceda $480,000

$92,520,000

Oviedo will make $5.6-6 million roughly if he ends up, but I have to imagine the Marlins knew something when they tendered him knowing he wouldn't be back for this season, or have some sort of trade partner lined up. We'll see.

I mean, realistically this team was planning on spending $7-10m/y for a pitcher. that's about what Cespedes is asking for.

 

 

I think it's very likely they go hard after him, for better or worse.

 

In response, I can also see them moving Nolasco for salary relief/bringing in a left fielder, and subsequently moving Gaby/Coghlan/Ceda/Dominguez/other prospects for a suitable starting pitcher (there has got to be some combination to get Wade Davis or Jeff Niemann there). It makes sense if you think about it.

Yeah. The two biggest questions left this offseason are

 

1. Will Oviedo get out of jail/be a part of the rotation/traded?

2. Will the Marlins make a serious run at Cespedes?

 

Other than that, sit back and wait for March.

Lol that Zambrano is the lowest paid guy in the rotation.

 

 

by the Marlins at least

Very well played.

 

I really like the move for the price. Shaving 0.50 off of your #5 starters ERA over ~160 IP is almost a 2-win improvement, so I this is a strong and pretty significant move.

 

I'd still love to find a way to get Oswalt and deal Nolasco, and then dive into next year's awesome FA SP pool.

I just got online. Who'd we trade?

 

 

Volstad. The Cubs are eating 15 million of the 18 million for Zambrano.

 

This is an extremely Marlins move. Even with the Miami Marlins name and the willingness to spend, I love that this team still has that old Marlins "trying to find a bargain" mindset they previously had.

I was thinking this myself.

 

Are you serious? Is this a done deal? Marlins will be so exciting to watch this year.

I just got online. Who'd we trade?

 

 

Volstad. The Cubs are eating 15 million of the 18 million for Zambrano.

 

This is an extremely Marlins move. Even with the Miami Marlins name and the willingness to spend, I love that this team still has that old Marlins "trying to find a bargain" mindset they previously had.

I was thinking this myself.

 

Are you serious? Is this a done deal? Marlins will be so exciting to watch this year.

 

Dead serious. At first when this thread started I was like, WTF? But when the actual details of the trade came out I quickly got on board.

Great pick up!! If Zambrano picks up some of his form we'll have a great rotation. If we add Cespedes we can use Boni as a super utility guy and still have great speed in the lineup with Reyes and Hanley.

Ozzie in the end got his boys Big Z and Marky Mark to follow him here, maybe he gets his other boy Omar Vizquel to come here too.

I think they'll be in the 2013 SP FA market no matter what since Zambrano's option won't be picked up.

 

Anibal will be a FA too; the Marlins will need to decide what to do with him.

 

If they extend Anibal, and a farmhand emerges to fill a #4/#5 spot, i.e. Sanabia or Hand, then they'll have 5 starters, assuming Nolasco stays around. We'll see. We need a youngster to fill in somewhere at some point if we're going to maintain a reasonable payroll.

I love how MLBTR is calling Volstad a valuable groundball pitcher who makes his starts. It's incredible how these guys all of a sudden become assets the moment they leave the Marlins, yet not a second before.

eh, you're reading the article that panders to the Cubs fans. in the article about the trade itself, they said:

 

Volstad, a 6'8" right-hander, posted a 4.89 ERA with 6.4 K/9, 2.7 BB/9 and a 52.3% ground ball rate in 165 2/3 innings for the Marlins in 2011. His career numbers (4.59 ERA, 5.8 K/9, 3.1 BB/9, 50.4% ground ball rate) show he's a steady if unspectacular back-of-the-rotation option. However, he's homer prone and struggles against left-handers, as MLBTR's Mike Axisa pointed out earlier in the offseason.

yeah & the other article ends with:

 

Still, at a mere $3 million and at the cost of a struggling young pitcher in Chris Volstad who may not yet be ready to contribute to a winning team, the logistics make sense for Florida. This is the kind of risk teams who are close to the playoffs need to make, and if it pays off we could very well see some October baseball in Jeffrey Loria’s fancy new digs.

 

 

:thumbup

yeah & the other article ends with:

 

Still, at a mere $3 million and at the cost of a struggling young pitcher in Chris Volstad who may not yet be ready to contribute to a winning team, the logistics make sense for Florida. This is the kind of risk teams who are close to the playoffs need to make, and if it pays off we could very well see some October baseball in Jeffrey Loria’s fancy new digs.

 

 

:thumbup

 

I think I just got an erection.

 

...this could be a huge under the radar move down the line.

  • Author

yeah & the other article ends with:

 

Still, at a mere $3 million and at the cost of a struggling young pitcher in Chris Volstad who may not yet be ready to contribute to a winning team, the logistics make sense for Florida. This is the kind of risk teams who are close to the playoffs need to make, and if it pays off we could very well see some October baseball in Jeffrey Loria’s fancy new digs.

 

 

:thumbup

 

I think I just got an erection.

 

...this could be a huge under the radar move down the line.

 

My erection hasn't gone down since we signed Reyes.

 

Seriously, it hurts. Please help.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.