April 2, 201214 yr I may get down there before the gates open since I hear the west plaza will be open all day, I wonder what all will be going on then.
April 2, 201214 yr Why not the green or the aquarium? It looks like a green screen, it's just distracting. Same for the aquarium, just distracting and seems unneccessary. There's nothing wrong with having attractions at the park to keep families with kids entertained. However when the actual field is so ostentatious that it distracts from the game it comes off as trying to compensate for a bad product - and I think the Marlins will be fun enough to not need that kind of thing to keep the butts in the seats. That seems really silly and nit picky to me, but whatever. I don't see how having green paint instead of blue or something is a distraction. Different strokes, I guess.
April 2, 201214 yr Why not the green or the aquarium? It looks like a green screen, it's just distracting. Same for the aquarium, just distracting and seems unneccessary. There's nothing wrong with having attractions at the park to keep families with kids entertained. However when the actual field is so ostentatious that it distracts from the game it comes off as trying to compensate for a bad product - and I think the Marlins will be fun enough to not need that kind of thing to keep the butts in the seats. That seems really silly and nit picky to me, but whatever. I don't see how having green paint instead of blue or something is a distraction. Different strokes, I guess. Like I said, looks like a great facility still.
April 2, 201214 yr the tinted windows out in centerfield make a 1pm game feel a game played entirely during dusk. if South Florida residents can't handle 85 degree weather they shouldn't leave their houses. the roof should be open during day games, unless it's raining. the entire staff doesn't know how to do their jobs. the stats on the scoreboards were not correct for a single second, and everyone at the concessions stands is slow and dumb, the credit card machines need to start working because not everyone carries around Benjamins with them and I wasted a lot of f***ing time waiting on line only to find out the machine "wasn't working" (at several stands). and the HR feature didn't go off when Gaby hit a homerun. the park's beautiful. there's not a bad seat in the house. the amount of food options are impressive, but extremely expensive. finding parking's not as difficult as I thought it would be. the traffic on the exit-ramp at 17th st (i think that was it) was ridiculous. kinda bulls*** that there's not a single place to smoke a cigarette in the entire park (I mean, there's balconies... what the hell are those for? I saw a cop yell at a bunch of people for having the nerve to think it was appropriate to smoke outside)
April 2, 201214 yr the tinted windows out in centerfield make a 1pm game feel a game played entirely during dusk. if South Florida residents can't handle 85 degree weather they shouldn't leave their houses. the roof should be open during day games, unless it's raining. the entire staff doesn't know how to do their jobs. the stats on the scoreboards were not correct for a single second, and everyone at the concessions stands is slow and dumb, the credit card machines need to start working because not everyone carries around Benjamins with them and I wasted a lot of f***ing time waiting on line only to find out the machine "wasn't working" (at several stands). and the HR feature didn't go off when Gaby hit a homerun. the park's beautiful. there's not a bad seat in the house. the amount of food options are impressive, but extremely expensive. finding parking's not as difficult as I thought it would be. the traffic on the exit-ramp at 17th st (i think that was it) was ridiculous. kinda bulls*** that there's not a single place to smoke a cigarette in the entire park (I mean, there's balconies... what the hell are those for? I saw a cop yell at a bunch of people for having the nerve to think it was appropriate to smoke outside) Everything sounds terrible. Let's just close it down and move back to Sun Life...
April 2, 201214 yr The park looked gorgeous. It was really nice. The AC was great! I was hoping the roof would be open, but I can understand why they had it closed since it was starting to get hot out. Didn't see where that nice food was being offered in those pics yesterday, we just went to the concessions in the main walk way. A friend got the nachos, prezel, burger and fries and I got the chicken fingers and it was all pretty good. Def a step up from that crap at Dolphins stadium. The wifi seemed a bit buggy. If I'd put the phone to sleep, you'd have to sign on again. That was annoying. Hope they fix that. Can't wait to see how the aquariums look on TV. I really couldn't tell from where I was sitting, but they did look nice. I agree with most of you wished the outfield wall was a more darker green. The scroeboards all looked great. Getting there was a breeze. It took us an hour and 2 minutes from Boynton Beach vs 45+ to the Dolphins stadium. Getting in was no problem, we left around 10:30. Getting out was a different story. They blocked off NW 7th ave going east and didn't really have any signs to get back onto the Dolphin expressway. I'd imagine most of the people are heading back to 95 to head home, so signs if they're going to block NW 7th off would be helpful. There were 2 accidents that held us up, which took an hour and 35 minutes so that sucked. But overall really liked it and I plan to go back for more games.
April 2, 201214 yr the tinted windows out in centerfield make a 1pm game feel a game played entirely during dusk. if South Florida residents can't handle 85 degree weather they shouldn't leave their houses. the roof should be open during day games, unless it's raining. the entire staff doesn't know how to do their jobs. the stats on the scoreboards were not correct for a single second, and everyone at the concessions stands is slow and dumb, the credit card machines need to start working because not everyone carries around Benjamins with them and I wasted a lot of f***ing time waiting on line only to find out the machine "wasn't working" (at several stands). and the HR feature didn't go off when Gaby hit a homerun. the park's beautiful. there's not a bad seat in the house. the amount of food options are impressive, but extremely expensive. finding parking's not as difficult as I thought it would be. the traffic on the exit-ramp at 17th st (i think that was it) was ridiculous. kinda bulls*** that there's not a single place to smoke a cigarette in the entire park (I mean, there's balconies... what the hell are those for? I saw a cop yell at a bunch of people for having the nerve to think it was appropriate to smoke outside) Boy, there's a lot going on here.
April 2, 201214 yr What was the beer situation? Any craft beer, like cigar city? Or just the usual Bud/Miller/Coors/Heineken?
April 2, 201214 yr First off, f*** the Yankees and their fans. The line at the kosher concession was a mile long. JK JEWS OF THE BOARD. This is my 5-6th time going to the ballpark. Still wows me. From the leg room to the way everything flows (not the parking). I'm going to make a list because I'm too lazy to really do it any other way. -leg room is awesome -a/c is great. blah blah blah poptard and 85 degree weather leave the roof open, no. Back in jrsdolphinproplayersunlife/burn hell you NEEDED to go home and shower to feel clean. Day OR night game. Today, I went to mass in the morning, went straight to the game, and from the game went shopping for a bit and then to my inlaws for dinner. NO NEED TO SHOWER IMMEDIATELY AFTER A GAME. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT TO ME. -This time getting into the parking garage was super easy, and leaving was kinda bad. I wish they wouldn't close off direct streets to major arteries just because they can. They forced everyone in the 1b garage south towards us1. NO. I need to get to 836west, so instead of going directly there, I had to loop around the park. Lame. -David Samson. Dude, stop walking around the ballpark. I've almost stepped on you TWICE and I think you do a good job so I would hate to end your life this way. -Concessions. Super inconsistent. I made a few trips to 3 different ones, because I'm married and thats how it goes. Took almost 30 min in a line that wasn't very long to get told they weren't selling anything I wanted. AWESOME. 1/2 of the real food items on the screen weren't available. The people working them are leaderless and run around like spazes. I had the register not want to process any cc in my line, and then offered to pay cash so I could get back to the game and was told no. Would have been fine, except I KNOW it is possible to do so considering it was part of my profession. 3rd times a charm, and went to the place selling cuban sandwiches. Took 3 min and they people were competent. -wifi worked great at first, and then it didn't at all, and then it did again for 5 min, and then it didn't work, and finally it worked again....before not working at all. -f*** yankee fans. -Everything is nice. -OH they stopped selling beer a little early. No big deal to me, but to some that is taking away their life force. -Its not going to be a real baseball atmosphere. You can just tell. Its going to be so miami in there. People trying their hardest not to care, but caring way too much. I saw people dressed way too nice. Kind of a letdown, but not a surprise. -Every employee except for the concession workers seemed to know what they were doing. -I really want to see that hr feature in action. -Its an amazing place. Everyone needs to stop being crappy fans and buy season tickets. Show up to all the games, and put down everyone else that doesn't. Its worth it. Man I would be all over season tickets if I still lived in Miami. I live in Georgia now (Braves Territory) so I get to see my Marlins a few times a year at Turner and another 5-6 times on my trips down to Miami to visit the family.
April 2, 201214 yr I loved it! What a great park, it didn't seem like there was a bad seat in the place, unlike Sun Life where some seats faced odd angles.The A/C was fine, food good, stadium workers helpful and friendly. I even ran into Samson out in the CF walkway (no I didn't hurt him). The only drawbacks I could see are it doesn't lool to be a park that will be great for autograph seekers, unless they buy higher priced tickets, also the Bobblehead Museum was kind of a let down, in just what I had imagined it to be, more of a kiosk.
April 2, 201214 yr if South Florida residents can't handle 85 degree weather they shouldn't leave their houses. the roof should be open during day games, unless it's raining. Samson has said more than once that it's more of a heat/humidity roof than a rain roof. There are only a handful of rain delays each year (plus a good bit of uncertainty,) but it's hot and humid almost every day and they're certainly not going to run the AC with the roof open. They expect the roof to be closed for about 90% of games. the credit card machines need to start working because not everyone carries around Benjamins with them and I wasted a lot of f***ing time waiting on line only to find out the machine "wasn't working" (at several stands). There was a nation-wide VISA processing-system outage that lasted about 40 minutes today, from about 2:40 to 3:20 -- 5th-6th-7th inning-ish -- so it's quite possible, even likely that the Marlins weren't at fault, just bad luck. the HR feature didn't go off when Gaby hit a homerun. Samson admitted that he made a mistake when he said it would be operating during the Yankee games. Not until the season opener.
April 2, 201214 yr Why not the green or the aquarium? It looks like a green screen, it's just distracting. Same for the aquarium, just distracting and seems unneccessary. There's nothing wrong with having attractions at the park to keep families with kids entertained. However when the actual field is so ostentatious that it distracts from the game it comes off as trying to compensate for a bad product - and I think the Marlins will be fun enough to not need that kind of thing to keep the butts in the seats. That seems really silly and nit picky to me, but whatever. I don't see how having green paint instead of blue or something is a distraction. Different strokes, I guess. Green looks like a green screen? Boston's field must look like a Michael Bay movie, amirite???
April 2, 201214 yr the tinted windows out in centerfield make a 1pm game feel a game played entirely during dusk. if South Florida residents can't handle 85 degree weather they shouldn't leave their houses. the roof should be open during day games, unless it's raining. the entire staff doesn't know how to do their jobs. the stats on the scoreboards were not correct for a single second, and everyone at the concessions stands is slow and dumb, the credit card machines need to start working because not everyone carries around Benjamins with them and I wasted a lot of f***ing time waiting on line only to find out the machine "wasn't working" (at several stands). and the HR feature didn't go off when Gaby hit a homerun. the park's beautiful. there's not a bad seat in the house. the amount of food options are impressive, but extremely expensive. finding parking's not as difficult as I thought it would be. the traffic on the exit-ramp at 17th st (i think that was it) was ridiculous. kinda bulls*** that there's not a single place to smoke a cigarette in the entire park (I mean, there's balconies... what the hell are those for? I saw a cop yell at a bunch of people for having the nerve to think it was appropriate to smoke outside) Seriously??? At fanfest everyone was smoking off the balconies, that's weird. I noticed that it looked really dark out there, but I thought they'd have the stadium more open than not.
April 2, 201214 yr Just got back home in Orlando in one piece (though a few drivers on 95 tried their darnedest to change that) and here are my thoughts. 1) Stadium is exactly as advertised and more. Quite beautiful and striking. The view of downtown in LF is much more artistic than the albatross in CF (which, despite everyone telling me I had to see it in person, is still crap). 2) I know this was a trial run and there are still kinks to iron out, but the concession team ABSOLUTELY needs to get it together. I spent way too much on these tickets and drove too long to see only 4 complete innings of the ballgame. I experienced all of the problems others did, and in addition twice received stone-cold food after waiting 10+ minutes after paying. As a former Chef, I would have been embarrassed to not only force my customers to wait as long as we did, but to put out sub-standard product. Levy runs a pretty good operation (they have both Tropicana Field and Amway Centre), so I fully expect this to be corrected sooner than later. I also would put the bathroom attendants in this group, as the restroom behind my section (15) did not have paper towels after the 4th inning and the garbage cans were overflowing). 3) Concourses are definitely smaller than I was expecting. It was pretty hard to navigate in there at times. As such (since space is at a premium) there's plenty to "see" there, but not much "to do." This I could see hurting attendance by families, as those of you with small children know it's a challenge to keep them engaged throughout an entire game. I appreciate the little family activities the Trop has (and even Dolphins Stadium had) for kids for those times when they need to get up and moving. 4) I have to agree w/ squall about the atmosphere, it didn't have the feel of a ballgame. I can't place my finger on it, but when you ask an employee in a giftshop where the programs and scorecards are and she replies "What's a scorecard?", you know you're in trouble. You definitely know you're in for trouble when they don't have any programs or scorecards to sell, on the end. At a baseball game. All-in-all, it was a mixed bag for me. My hope is given time, some of the negatives will turn around. But, our permanent home has been established, and that's something we all can celebrate and agree upon. Go Fish!
April 2, 201214 yr Guys, don't forget you can leave your comments on the Marlins site. I wouldn't hurt. Things I noticed from the tv. - There certainly did appear to be dark areas, namely underneath the overhangings and the upper level directly behind home plate. - I really think they need to include some more plants. The trees really added to it and made it appear to connect more with an outdoor park: tv is a lot different in person but I just get the feeling the place will end up feeling toomuch like a dome and too closed up. I would really like to see the windows or roof open every so often. The padding behind home plate should definately be blue. I dont mind the green in outfield where it matches and down the baselines where it's not seen as much. I think the the blue would tie in with the section and be less bright on the eyes over time. Those are the things I noticed and none of them get close to overcoming the positive feelings. I could stop smiling like a little boy during the game. As far as all the yankees fans beig there, that was expected really. To many transplants and bandwagon Yankees fans. Opening day will be a better indication hopefully. Programs were mentioned above. I'm sure the marlins will have programs. The website a-z guide mentions them and they will be available: Smoking is not allowed in the ballpark. Only outside in the plazas. Hopefully they can straighten out the concession issues. That seems to be the biggest complaint. Everybody read the a to z guide. Very imformative.
April 2, 201214 yr The padding behind home plate should definately be blue. I dont mind the green in outfield where it matches and down the baselines where it's not seen as much. I think the the blue would tie in with the section and be less bright on the eyes over time. I disagree with this. I think the TV batter sightline looks awesome as it is right now with the green.
April 2, 201214 yr The padding behind home plate should definately be blue. I dont mind the green in outfield where it matches and down the baselines where it's not seen as much. I think the the blue would tie in with the section and be less bright on the eyes over time. I disagree with this. I think the TV batter sightline looks awesome as it is right now with the green. Thats suprising, I figured the green would be too bright for your liking. I know your not a big fan of the celebration. Not a bash, just an observation. The aquariums do look extra nice on tv though. The greens just going to take some gettin used to there.
April 2, 201214 yr re: a couple of you guys. I wasn't looking for an argument, these were just my "first thoughts on the new park." and I must say the neon green wall really isn't an eyesore at all like it kind of appears to be in the pictures. there's so much going on that it just kinda blends in with the green of the grass
April 2, 201214 yr I'm not a fan of the neon green. The silly HR thing looks better than the neon green walls to me and that says a lot because I don't like the HR thing. I'm a fan of the orange jerseys.
April 2, 201214 yr oh, forgot to mention the orange jerseys, hats, etc look RED on the giant scoreboard screen in right-center. all the other colors look fine. I thought it was weird.
April 2, 201214 yr Did anyone sit in row A of the 300 sections? I would like to know if the view was blocked from the railings.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.