July 2, 201214 yr Welcome to the site, you may want to ask for a name change so people don't troll your e-mail. Anyways, sad to hear about this happening, but not exactly surprised. Will never forget 03 and 05 with him, as well as the grand slam and the 2 homer game against the Mets in 06.
July 2, 201214 yr Sad to hear the news. He lived just a few houses away from me when he was on the Marlins. Very nice guy always nice to his fans.
July 2, 201214 yr No matter how things ended, D-Train is still one of the top five most beloved Marlins of all time.
July 3, 201214 yr Its a shame that he wasn't able to stay in the game, he was just an exuberant and fresh face on that 2003 team. As much as I enjoyed watching his high leg kick while pitching, I loved to watch him hit! His 3-3 game against the Giants in the playoffs where he ran himself out of the game still brings a smile to my face. I saw him after the trade to the Tigers and it seemed all the joy he had with Marlins was just gone, hopefully he finds that joy again.
July 3, 201214 yr I for one would love to see Willis in a Miami jersey for atleast a day. He had his best days with us and was a fan favorite.
July 3, 201214 yr I still don't understand what the Orioles were trying to do with him. Apparently, he didn't, either. The guy was a "fan favorite," but supposedly disruptive and a little out-of-control in the clubhouse. He won exactly 4 MLB games after we got rid of him, so that has to be counted as a total Bienfest trade success. Detroit paid him 30 million for absolutely nothing. That could have been us. He's set for life, thanks to his 3-year flash-in-the-pan. He was useless after 2005. And I say that as someone who watched the first MLB game he pitched and was impressed. What I don't understand is how his head got so screwed-up, but then, I'm not a psychologist. Maybe he'll write a book. Sorta sad that he fizzled out, but, so it goes.
July 3, 201214 yr I read that after 2005, Detroit offered us a couple of guys who had a little Major League experience for Dontrelle. Those two guys? Justin Verlander and Curtis Granderson Could you imagine?
July 3, 201214 yr I'm glad he's supposedly out of baseball, because that will hopefully prevent people on this board from starting threads about picking him up whenever he gets cut from another team.
July 3, 201214 yr I'm glad he's supposedly out of baseball, because that will hopefully prevent people on this board from starting threads about picking him up whenever he gets cut from another team. I heard McDonald's put Dontrelle on probational leave yesterday. We should totally pick him up!!
July 4, 201214 yr No matter how things ended, D-Train is still one of the top five most beloved Marlins of all time. This is basically the case with me. Though I'd say top ten. His MLB debut was the first baseball game I ever attended, and I'll miss that big old crooked grin and constant nose-picking in the dugout
January 13, 201313 yr Appears the D-Train is unretired as he has signed with the Cubs http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/01/minor-league-transactions-jan-1-7/
January 14, 201313 yr Damn. Would've put seats in the house. The Marlins don't need more empty seats in their ballpark.
April 6, 201313 yr The D-Train keeps rolling as he joins Vlad Guerrero on the independent league Long Island Ducks http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9137051/vladimir-guerrero-dontrelle-willis-sign-long-islands-ducks-atlantic-league At least he'll have someone familiar to throw to, as the Ducks also added Ramon Castro
April 12, 201313 yr I love the D-Train. I still call his mom on the phone here and there. Sweet lady.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.