Johnson, Buehrle, Reyes, Buck, Bonifacio to Toronto

Jokersgoon

Jays fan here (living near Toronto). I post on a Blue Jays forum regularly and we were totally caught off guard by this trade. We knew that Alex Anthopoulos, our GM, would try and upgrade through trade over free agency. It's been our mantra for many years now under the ownership of Rogers (cable company). In fact, our biggest FA signing under AA was done this off-season (9 mill/3 yrs). From our perspective, most of the forum is flipping out too but because they like the deal for us (sorry). The dust is starting to settle a bit and as the hype dies down it's easier to break apart the pieces and look at the deal more closely. From your perspective I can completely understand how you feel cheated and lied to. Canadian baseball fans are all too familiar with Mr.Jeffrey Loria and I completely agree that he is bad for Miami and baseball in general. The deal itself may not be as lopsided as it seems on the surface. Toronto gets more proven (and star) talent with some question marks (injury, salary, etc) and Miami gets to play hit-or-miss with some prospects. I feel for you fans though, I truly do. Hang in there and hopefully the Miami baseball scene will brighten up when Loria leaves (or is ousted).

Even Allison Williams is sick.

Allison Williams @AllisonW_Sports

Oh #Marlins....this is so not awesome. I think im gonna be sick

Allison Williams @AllisonW_Sports

#Marlins i feel sad and confused and mad. I just wanted to know why? What happened?...Wait did I just get dumped?

I'll comfort her.

Jays fan here (living near Toronto). I post on a Blue Jays forum regularly and we were totally caught off guard by this trade. We knew that Alex Anthopoulos, our GM, would try and upgrade through trade over free agency. It's been our mantra for many years now under the ownership of Rogers (cable company). In fact, our biggest FA signing under AA was done this off-season (9 mill/3 yrs). From our perspective, most of the forum is flipping out too but because they like the deal for us (sorry). The dust is starting to settle a bit and as the hype dies down it's easier to break apart the pieces and look at the deal more closely. From your perspective I can completely understand how you feel cheated and lied to. Canadian baseball fans are all too familiar with Mr.Jeffrey Loria and I completely agree that he is bad for Miami and baseball in general. The deal itself may not be as lopsided as it seems on the surface. Toronto gets more proven (and star) talent with some question marks (injury, salary, etc) and Miami gets to play hit-or-miss with some prospects. I feel for you fans though, I truly do. Hang in there and hopefully the Miami baseball scene will brighten up when Loria leaves (or is ousted).

Looking forward to seeing your team compete next season.

I don't think I've posted in about 4 years, but I've remained a fan over that time, and have been a fan since about 1995, when baseball returned from the strike. I can no longer be a fan of this team or spend another dime in support of this team as long as the current ownership remains in place. Miami is my home, and I will leave the door open to return when these guys get run out of town. But I'm not sure where I go next from here.

This move is DISGUSTING. This goes way past the previous firesales. Way, way past. Those firesales may have felt like a slap in the face back then, but, frankly, the term "market correction" was not entirely inappropriate. Attendance was pretty low. Sure, the franchise made a butt load of money through profit sharing, but that was just the Marlins fleecing Major League Baseball. Now they've managed to fleece the city of Miami. During the worst economic slump in most of our lifetimes, they took $360 million from Miami taxpayers to build their stadium. We went along with this, in part, because they made us a lot of promises. They promised to field a competitive team. And then, in less than a year, they tore the team to shreds.

If you are a citizen of Miami, if you have any municipal pride, I have no idea how you can continue to root for this team under this ownership. I mean, no offense, but they just played us all for a bunch of idiots. Look...they've already won. They played us for idiots, and they won. That money is gone, and we're not getting it back. This franchise is now worth three times what Loria payed for it, and much of that is because of this new stadium, which he tricked us into paying for. If you're OK with that, fine...continue to support this team. I will not go to another game and will not watch another game until this disgusting ownership is gone.

And, as for Loria...how much money is enough? This man was ridiculously wealthy before he ever got into baseball, and now he's wealthier still. But at what cost? How much money is it worth to destroy your integrity and become a villain? I will never understand the motivation of such a man. Have another yacht, you doughy prick.

I'm with ya too many fire sales this was the last straw.

The prospects we got back are really good. Granted we've all heard that before with Maybin, Miller etc.

No they aren't lol

Nicolino seems solid, but yeah nothing earth shattering.

Hey, I'll gladly take prospects from the 3rd ranked farm system in MLB. Whether it works out or not is a completely different thing.

That 3rd ranked farm system managed to protect their top 4-5 prospects, depending on who you ask.