Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Donovon Solano

Featured Replies

Looking real good in ST (8-15, 4 RBI, 1 SB, 2 K, 1 BB) and had a good year last year as a backup (285 AB, .295/.342/.375). What is everyone expecting out of this guy as a starter? Is something around a .750 OPS with 20 steals and 10 homers unrealistic?

He is doing well but I always saw him as more of a utility guy. I was hoping to see Derek Dietrich get a chance at the second base job.

 

He is the #8 second base prospect.

He is doing well but I always saw him as more of a utility guy. I was hoping to see Derek Dietrich get a chance at the second base job.

 

He is the #8 second base prospect.

 

i understand but second base prospects are few and far between especially good ones so to act like the #8 best second base prospecti n a given year is saying very little

Looking real good in ST (8-15, 4 RBI, 1 SB, 2 K, 1 BB) and had a good year last year as a backup (285 AB, .295/.342/.375). What is everyone expecting out of this guy as a starter? Is something around a .750 OPS with 20 steals and 10 homers unrealistic?

 

Probably not. He only has 10 home runs in almost 3000 minor league at bats.

 

I wouldnt expect too much with the bat. He probably isnt going to get on base much, an OBP in the .290 to .305 range would probably be about his upper limit against major league pitching. He is not going to hit for any power, I would expect his SLG % to be about the same as his OBP. He is probably going to be one of the worse everyday regulars, offensively, if he is indeed given the job.

 

In other words, I wouldnt put too much stock in spring training #s or what he did last year when no one had ever seen him. He is at best an AAAA player or a utility guy on a very bad team, so its kind of depressing that he is in line to be the guy at 2nd base. Shows how poor this lineup is going to be.

 

And before anyone says I am being a debbie downer, his career minor league OPS, in close to 3000 at bats, is .633.

Solano's solid defensively at least and has shown in limited at-bats that he can make pretty decent contact. Just doesn't walk much and doesn't slug so his ceiling is pretty much whatever high average he can manage. If he has a .700 OPS I'd be ecstatic. Dietrich is getting a bit of a look in ST but he'll probably start in Jax. I wonder if they might play him some at both 2B and 3B in Jax actually, I know Cox is in the mix at 3B too but nice to have some options. He came up as a shortstop so you would imagine he could make either 2B or 3B transition.

At the least, Solano is a major league player and can find a role somewhere for a good number of years. He's just not a realistic option as an everyday starter on a team without bigger stars/offensive pieces to cover his shortcomings. That said, I personally like the guy and wish him success. Its just not the most realistic scenario.

I'm not saying that Solano is the be all end all, but the kid puts the ball in play and isn't shabby with the glove, true he's not going to hit 30 HR's but for now he's getting the job done and unless they have someone to replace you've got to let him play.

I keep saying Solano is going to regress dramatically and should not be on a mlb roster, but he has yet to do so, and continues to rake in spring, so i guess you kinda have to give him the job...

Plus, outside of Coghlan shifting back to second [lol], who else is gonna play there that's MLB ready? I don't think Dietrich is ready just yet, and Austin Barnes won't be ready until at least June 2014 [Deitrich would be up before him, 100%].

But Coghlan has not shown any ability to play 2B at the major league level.

 

Solano won't be the worst player to start for the Marlins this year.

Plus, outside of Coghlan shifting back to second [lol], who else is gonna play there that's MLB ready? I don't think Dietrich is ready just yet, and Austin Barnes won't be ready until at least June 2014 [Deitrich would be up before him, 100%].

 

What about Jake Smolinski? He was originally a shortstop, converted to third base... Any chance he can play second or would get an opportunity?

 

How come he hasn't been mentioned as a third base candidate for that matter?

Yeah I've wondered that. Smolinski is still with the organization, how has he not gotten a better shot by now?

 

He had a pretty good year in Jax last year, too, got on base at a .388 clip and OPSd .770 (!). If he could move to second base that would be a huge opportunity...

I dunno, saw him play in Jax quite a bit and wondered that myself, but you have to imagine the org has thought of that too considering how thin they are up the middle. They just must not think he can handle infield defense in the majors.

I dunno, saw him play in Jax quite a bit and wondered that myself, but you have to imagine the org has thought of that too considering how thin they are up the middle. They just must not think he can handle infield defense in the majors.

 

You've seen him play a bit, what do you think? Has he out grown the middle infield, so they move him to the hot corner, or...? Also, any reason he has completely fallen off the radar?

  • 2 weeks later...

He is hitting over .400, not walking a lot though, but still this is 2 good springs in a row. I think he will continue to be what he was last year. 600 AB's over .300 OBP not gonna walk much.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.