now that april's gone ..

i'm surprised this hasn't really been discussed much on this board ...

looking back at 8 wins in april 2012 and 8 wins this april, i've got to say that loria's not looking like such a prick anymore.

with one month in the books, gutting the team doesn't look like it was such a bad idea after all considering we didnt have to spend what, 70million(?) for the same results?

i was just as angry as everyone else at the time, but now? not so much. to top it off, the toronto blue fish are practically neck-to-neck with us.

granted, the sample size is one month's worth of ball, but its worthy of discussion.

looking back at 8 wins in april 2012 and 8 wins this april, i've got to say that loria's not looking like such a prick anymore.

with one month in the books, gutting the team doesn't look like it was such a bad idea after all considering we didnt have to spend what, 70million(?) for the same results?

i was just as angry as everyone else at the time, but now? not so much. to top it off, the toronto blue fish are practically neck-to-neck with us.

granted, the sample size is one month's worth of ball, but its worthy of discussion.

The point of whether Loria is a p...k or not has nothing to do with the fact that we only had 8 wins in both years. Using that logic, unless we go 21-5 in May, like last year, and say we only win 8-10 games this month, does that mean he can be classified as a pr...k again? Otherwise, discussing this further does nothing but open up the same discussions that has been beaten to death. (see-"Loria is a dictator" etc etc).

A lot of people actually did not care that the front office wanted to "push the reset button" and trade those guys away.

I think the main problem that people had was that Loria decided to re-invest none of the money he traded away. Cue ... coming in here to tell us why, but that's the problem people had.

If the Marlins would've done something similar to what the Red Sox did, I don't think any fans would be disliking/hating Loria.

A lot of people actually did not care that the front office wanted to "push the reset button" and trade those guys away.

I think the main problem that people had was that Loria decided to re-invest none of the money he traded away. Cue ... coming in here to tell us why, but that's the problem people had.

If the Marlins would've done something similar to what the Red Sox did, I don't think any fans would be disliking/hating Loria.

yeah I mean we've made this point a thousand times now.

You realize good teams still slump, right? Last year was a slow start. It was a bad year all together...guess what, those happen too. That doesn't mean it was a bad investment, like Loria thinks. He gave up on it too quickly. He is looking for a get rich quick scheme, when he should have invested, then sat on it. You can't dismantle so quickly whe the talent on the roster is proven.

Let's be honest. As disappointing as the Marlins were last year, they would have won more than 69 games if they didn't make the trades they did at the deadline. There's no way this year's team is comparable talent wise. And as Erick points out, the main frustration is that our front office used last year's performance as a basis for this offseason's mega trade, but in reality they did nothing to improve the team. And they want the fans to trust them to build slowly using a foundation of young players, even though they have repeatedly failed to develop almost all of their young players.

Let's be honest. As disappointing as the Marlins were last year, they would have won more than 69 games if they didn't make the trades they did at the deadline. There's no way this year's team is comparable talent wise. And as Erick points out, the main frustration is that our front office used last year's performance as a basis for this offseason's mega trade, but in reality they did nothing to improve the team. And they want the fans to trust them to build slowly using a foundation of young players, even though they have repeatedly failed to develop almost all of their young players.

No kidding, I mean when we started the year we had Hanley and Reyes manning the left side of the infield. By September it was Gil Velazquez and Donnie Murphy. Kind of a big gap in talent there.

As far as the Blue Jays, it's a month in. Granted, it's not a good sign that Reyes is hurt already, but you can't really judge until the season is over.

The Blue Jays are likely going to miss the playoffs this year. There was an article on fangraphs the other day already detailing why they're in trouble.

It's a tough division, and they're going to have to surpass all four teams. Even though there are about four months left, it's a tougher task than it seems.

I think the main problem that people had was that Loria decided to re-invest none of the money he traded away.

What money?

Payroll was 102 mill, the loss was 47, payroll had to drop to 55 assuming the same attendance and a rough break-even.

They're not stupid, obviously attendance this year was going to suck even worse than it did last year. There goes another estimated 20 mill, give or take, so make payroll about 35 mill.

Which is about where they are for players who are actually here. Plus another 14.5 for guys who aren't here. They obviously planned on eating the 14.5 as a loss this year, otherwise payroll would have had to drop to the 20 mill area. Dump Nolasco and don't bother signing Pierre and Polanco and you're about there.

But, they didn't dump Nolasco and they did sign Pierre and Polanco, so there's the "reinvestment," such as it is, and every dime they pay those three will wind up in the loss column for this year. If "people" think that Loria "reinvested" nothing, they're mistaken.

There was absolutely zero money to "reinvest." What Loria did was spend 14 mill he knew he would lose this year in the interest of having a few veterans around as they rebuild.

Next year is a different story, they'll have 25 mill more from the new national TV deal plus 8 mill they won't be paying for guys who aren't here plus 11.5 mill from no Nolasco. That's 44 mill of flexibility.

As for Loria-hatred, he could have wasted another 30 mill on this year and it wouldn't have made a dime's worth of difference to most. Blind, unreasoning hatred is what it is.

On the Nolasco thing my guess is either A) MLB would have once again given the marlins shit for having such a low payroll or B) no one was willing to trade for a $10m #5 pitcher at best. It was probably a combination of both. The real shortsightedness and stupidity of the FO is signing Ricky over Anibal to begin with. Doofuses.

lol @ the marlins reinvesting comment. They literally have no one who can play third base. There was no choice but to sign the old dude with the .612 OPS this year.