Miami Marlins to close upper bowl for some games

Even if you break-even overall money wise, you gain fans. At least try, in a new stadium. If you don't see any progress then shut 'er down in July.

They only shut it for some of the upcoming homestand due to it being close without many tickets bought. It'd be tough to make a late push on those sales. For now, the rest of the season will be decided series to series.

Doesn't Levy restaurants run the concessions? Couldn't it be possible this third party doesn't find it worthwhile to sell a bag of popcorn and a souveniour soda and Employ three workers at 8.00 an hour to sell it to you?

I mean- to run one stand for a game it may be around 800 in expenses and payroll being thrown out the window daily.

Never mind the setup and prep.

How many stands are we talking about in the upper level?

Even if it cost them $200,000 a year to keep it open, its better than the embarrassment they have caused themselves. The $200,000 also assumes that no one in the upper level makes any purchases at all. To put it into perspective, the league minimum for a player is $490,000, meaning $200,000 is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

They'd be better of only operating certain concession stands in the upper level and not saying anything.I was saying, did the marlins shut down the stands- or did Levy say they were shutting it down and the marlins figured well close the upper deck before Levy gives them the black eye.

I think you are reaching here. Plenty of teams have had upper decks that are ghost towns and yet it's really been the Marlins who have made an effort to close them. These food vendors are typically used by multiple teams as well.

Before somebody asks me for my scientific poll evidence again, I did not take a poll. The following is an assumption of mine.

I assume that the majority of people who buy upper deck tickets do so because they are cheaper. Yes, some may buy them for the extra space around them with less fans. Most though, it's expense so the Marlins would be giving them more for their money with the upgrade to lower bowl.

I think it's definitely true that people sit in the upper deck because it's cheaper. I don't think you need to support that with scientific evidence.

However, I think there are also many people (like myself) who hate sitting far away from the infield and would rather sit in the upper deck behind home plate than sit in the lower bowl way out in RF. Obviously we don't know where these fans are being moved yet, but if I were a fan being relocated to the outfield seats, I'd be pretty pissed and consider it a downgrade.

I haven't ready any relocation details, but I'm one who would buy upper deck behind the plate than many outfield seats in the lower level ..... I like a good view of the infield & plate and absolutely love the view looking down at the plate from the upper level, seeing the pitches come in, watching the trajectory of the balls in play, seeing the alignment of the fielders, setup of the catcher ....... it's one of my favorite seats in most stadiums I've been in - i can typically find lower level between the dugouts for a fair price so I don't sit up there often, but i'd sit there before I'd sit halfway between one of the corner bags and the fence - let alone the outfield

The more I think about this the worse it gets. I won't blame Loria, I'll blame the people who are actually receiving a check each week being employed as the top public relations/marketing people of the franchise. Didn't someone think that it would be better to at least try for awhile to attract folks to the upper deck. Give it to the All-Star Break at least and school is out and summer heat sets in. Money-wise it seems to make sense. Even if you give em' a hot dog and soda for $10 you still make money and they are going to buy beer and other stuff. I'm thinking at least enough money to pay the extra workers and all the concession workers. Even if you break-even overall money wise, you gain fans. At least try, in a new stadium. If you don't see any progress then shut 'er down in July.

This is not necessarily true. If you offer a promo like that, some fans who would have bought more expensive seats would substitute the promo seats instead, which could net the team less overall money. Further, while there is some psychological effect from closing the upper deck, there is a psychological effect from selling really cheap seats, sending signals that may imply they are less valuable, which can bother some people.

I'm talking about the "psychological effect" you mention. I'd say that closing the upper deck weighs more heavily than discounted seats. That's simply because more teams actually do the latter.

And while these promotions might encourage people to buy cheaper seats as opposed to those more expensive, that's not really a concern as long as the promotion brings in more fans to the park overall. In other words, as long as there's a net gain, it doesn't matter if people decided to buy promotional seats instead.

Personally I think that it's advantageous for the team to bring as many people to the park as possible, even if they pay little in ticket prices.

I'm talking about the "psychological effect" you mention. I'd say that closing the upper deck weighs more heavily than discounted seats. That's simply because more teams actually do the latter.

And while these promotions might encourage people to buy cheaper seats as opposed to those more expensive, that's not really a concern as long as the promotion brings in more fans to the park overall. In other words, as long as there's a net gain, it doesn't matter if people decided to buy promotional seats instead.

Personally I think that it's advantageous for the team to bring as many people to the park as possible, even if they pay little in ticket prices.

Remember! As '...' says, it's concessions that matter!

They would be giving you a better seat. It's like complaining that you're upgraded from coach to first class on a plane

Some people have different definitions of "better"

Using your airline analogy, some people like the window seat because you can see out the window and some people like the aisle seat to not be pressed up against a wall.

If I prefer the aisle I would definitely be pissed if the airline tried to "upgrade" me to the "better" seat.

You may have never noticed that in first class, the space issue is less of a concern. I never sat there but I noticed.

While everyone has an opinion, I'm going to guess turning down an upgrade from coach to first class on an airplane would be a pretty unique one. I can understand people considering upper deck better for the space I guess but I really didn't expect anyone to say they'd turn down the first class upgrade. You're entitled to that opinion though.

Something tells me they aren't putting these people in "first class" so I believe my analogy is a lot more relevant than yours. You're entitled to create strawmen arguments all you want though.

I would move down but I know people who prefer the upper level. Especially when you can have a section to yourself and/or pick out your exact viewing angle.

Regardless of pissing people off who might not want to move, as others have brought up there are other issues with this.

:lol Somebody gets testy easily.

I already said multiple times that I understand some people may think that way but it's ridiculous to keep an entire deck of the stadium open for those few people, Mr. Strawman.

My first class analogy was an exaggerated one, that's why I was surprised to see you create an issue with that upgrade even.

It kinda depends on what exactly the upgraded lower level seats are. If you are taking someone who bought seats behind home plate and putting them in the right field corner, thats a bad deal.

If you are basically just moving them straight down, good deal.

More information needed.

Something tells me they aren't putting these people in "first class" so I believe my analogy is a lot more relevant than yours. You're entitled to create strawmen arguments all you want though.

I would move down but I know people who prefer the upper level. Especially when you can have a section to yourself and/or pick out your exact viewing angle.

Regardless of pissing people off who might not want to move, as others have brought up there are other issues with this.

People want a section to their own? If people want space, they should stay home.

No one is turning down a free upgrade, no one. Space isn't a premium in the lower level either, so I'm sure they'll be given good seats.

At the end of the day, where these fans get moved (or whether they want to or not) is not an important issue. Closing the upper deck is the issue.

Once again folks, the Marlins only closed it for select games on the upcoming homestand. With those games not being far off, they already know roughly how many people will have tickets there. Apparently that number was low enough where it made no sense to keep that deck open. They probably also didn't anticipate a backlash from giving those people lower bowl tickets in place of their cheaper upper deck ones. It's possible they will run promotions to try and fill up the upper deck a little more for future games.

People want a section to their own? If people want space, they should stay home.

No one is turning down a free upgrade, no one. Space isn't a premium in the lower level either, so I'm sure they'll be given good seats.

At the end of the day, where these fans get moved (or whether they want to or not) is not an important issue. Closing the upper deck is the issue.

I will play devil's advocate. You are sitting upper deck behind home plate. You are told your upgrade is lower level down the right field line.

What if the whole point of you getting the seats you did because thats the view of the field you like? In that case, not much of an upgrade no?

Once again folks, the Marlins only closed it for select games on the upcoming homestand. With those games not being far off, they already know roughly how many people will have tickets there. Apparently that number was low enough where it made no sense to keep that deck open. They probably also didn't anticipate a backlash from giving those people lower bowl tickets in place of their cheaper upper deck ones. It's possible they will run promotions to try and fill up the upper deck a little more for future games.

The backlash isn't at giving people lower bowl seats (they are the winners in this). The backlash is that they just got a new stadium that was supposed to attract crowds and they are already closing the upper level. Its an embarrassment attendance is so poor in year two of the stadium. More importantly, its horrific that the Marlins have a brand new stadium and a $30 million payroll, which causes the small crowds.

I will play devil's advocate. You are sitting upper deck behind home plate. You are told your upgrade is lower level down the right field line.

What if the whole point of you getting the seats you did because thats the view of the field you like? In that case, not much of an upgrade no?

http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/mia/ballpark/seat_selection_guide_32.jsp

The season ticket price for section 314 is $20. in order to be "upgraded", the seats would have to have a higher value. The lowest upgrade they could offer would be $22 seats in section 6 & 23. Offering seats in these sections (especially between rows 11-20) would be better seats.

However, I suppose if they offered section 28 row 2 ($25) those seats might not be the best. At the end of the day its really not a big deal since there are plenty of seats. We'd have to hear where fans are being relocated before making a final judgement.

Do people really prefer to sit in the upper deck? U n****s cray cray?

I'd rather sit in the upper deck than section 39.

As would I if that upper deck seat is behind home plate but just do what squall said. A lot of people will do that I bet.

I suppose you can move to empty seats, but that's not really the point here. We cannot categorically say that the Marlins will be "upgrading" everyone's seats unless they announce that everyone will be located to the infield area. Somehow I doubt that will be the case.

It could be comparable though for all we know. Like if you have home plate upper, you get home plate lower (if available). None of us know how it will work yet.

Well, of course we don't know the details yet. I've been emphasizing that all along. But if the Marlins ultimately do indeed move fans from the infield upper deck area to the outfield lower deck area, wouldn't you agree that most people are right in considering that to be a downgrade? Even if you would personally prefer the outfield seats, wouldn't you at least agree that some people are legitimately getting shafted by being relocated to arguably lesser seats? I'd say those people have a right to complain under that scenario.

The person this stiffs is someone that wants to take their kids and sit in the upper deck because it's cheaper. I have no issues with giving the people that bought tickets in advance an upgrade. But, it isn't right to gouge someone who doesn't buy their tickets in advance. This was another assnine money making move for Loria and his cohorts, period. He should just be glad that anyone wants to pay money to see his team. If he were smart, he would keep the upper deck open and sell those tickets for $5 bucks.