Rob Brantly

Erick

I just don't even know what the Marlins are planning to do with him. They don't play him and his MLB career numbers don't add up to much of anything. He has a 8% BB rate, 19% K rate (both inflated by his 2012 numbers - 11.5% BB and 14% K) , he can't hit lefties, his power isn't there (1 HR this season). So, why would they play him? He isn't very good.

Hopefully they have something else in mind like McCann if he'd even come here. I guess $ speaks.

What I mean to say is let's look at the less expensive options at the catcher position and see what that may land us...

For the sake of conversation, what are the other free agent catcher options for 2014 and 2015?

Ideally, you'd get someone for 2014 so they're comfortable with the pitchers for 2015, but if not... Mathis can probably do good enough for 2014.

My issue with McCann is that he's 30, playing a very physically demanding position, and the team isn't ready to compete right now. It'll be a year or two before the Marlins are legitimate contenders and by that time, he'll be 32 or 33 and he might not be as good as he is today - or he might need to be moved to first or the AL.

Or he could just Pierzynski the shit out of us and be around what he is now until he's 50 (except Pierzynski isn't elite - but you get what I mean..)

I think we are contenders next year with a good signing or two.

I would agree, the pitching depth gives us options even if regression or injury happens. The lineup has to improve though, however they choose to do it.

Someone tweeted Olney earlier to ask who had more of a chance at a championship in the next few years, Marlins or Astros? The answer kinda made me grr even though it is ESPN and, well, f*** those ignorant bastards. MLB network for the win.

Buster Olney �@Buster_ESPN

@ChismSean Next two years? Neither. In the next three or four years, I'd say Houston; all that drafted talent will manifest itself.

There's going to be a LOT of competition for the starting rotation in spring training. I would have to say the pitching depth has surpassed our expectations so far. Even the ones in the minors are moving at a fast pace, competition is important and we'll have it.

Not only that, but we also have diversity in our pitching options moving through 2014 - Heaney, Flynn, Conley and Nicolino being lefties.