Rob Brantly

Erick

I think this criticism of Brantly is a bit unfair. The kid just turned 24 years old in July. Before this year he only had 100 ML at bats, in which he hit fairly well. This season he has gotten very sporadic playing time because the front office wants Mathis to handle the young pitching staff. I will admit that he did get more frequent playing time while Mathis was injured but unfortunately he got off to a slow start. I don't know if he will ever be a regular starter in this league but I think that if given the chance he will eventually be a decent catcher and a decent hitter. I could be wrong but I think it's very premature to say that he sucks. He should be given every opportunity to succeed especially given the fact that we don't have anyone better in our system. With that said I wouldn't be against going out and signing McCann next year, but I'm against discarding Brantly just because.

2014 free agent catchers

Rod Barajas

Henry Blanco

John Buck

Jesus Flores

Ramon Hernandez

Gerald Laird

Brian McCann

Jose Molina

Dioner Navarro

Wil Nieves

Miguel Olivo

Ronny Paulino

Brayan Pena

A.J. Pierzynski

Humberto Quintero

Carlos Ruiz

Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Kelly Shoppach

Chris Snyder

Geovany Soto

Kurt Suzuki

Yorvit Torrealba

I think this criticism of Brantly is a bit unfair. The kid just turned 24 years old in July. Before this year he only had 100 ML at bats, in which he hit fairly well. This season he has gotten very sporadic playing time because the front office wants Mathis to handle the young pitching staff. I will admit that he did get more frequent playing time while Mathis was injured but unfortunately he got off to a slow start. I don't know if he will ever be a regular starter in this league but I think that if given the chance he will eventually be a decent catcher and a decent hitter. I could be wrong but I think it's very premature to say that he sucks. He should be given every opportunity to succeed especially given the fact that we don't have anyone better in our system. With that said I wouldn't be against going out and signing McCann next year, but I'm against discarding Brantly just because.

The point is he sucks RIGHT NOW and should be in the minors working on these things. His defense is awful, and that's the main reason he doesn't handle the pitchers often, not just his inexperience. And his inability to hit has made Mathis that much more valuable.

One common theme amongst most of the guys that have been called up and are on the roster. Theyre good at at least 1 aspect of the game. Stanton and Morrison are more offensive minded. Marisnick, Hech, (Ozuna) and Mathis are defensive minded. Yelich is kind of a balance. Everyone else is a utility guy...and provides at least league average offense.

The point is he sucks RIGHT NOW and should be in the minors working on these things. His defense is awful, and that's the main reason he doesn't handle the pitchers often, not just his inexperience. And his inability to hit has made Mathis that much more valuable.

One common theme amongst most of the guys that have been called up and are on the roster. Theyre good at at least 1 aspect of the game. Stanton and Morrison are more offensive minded. Marisnick, Hech, (Ozuna) and Mathis are defensive minded. Yelich is kind of a balance. Everyone else is a utility guy...and provides at least league average offense.Yep that's the thing, Brantly seem to, by far, hurt this team more than help it. Everyone else we can accept their faults because of the positives they contribute. Brantly doesn't contribute anything at this point.

I think that both the Tigers and the Marlins rushed him through the minors but I'm not prepared to say that's the main reason why he sucks.

He should start the 2014 season in AAA and the Marlins should acquire another catcher.

I would love to see the team approach some FA's in the off season at catcher, 2B, 3B, but I am also not going to be surprised if only one, or none, of those positions are shopped.

Keep Brantly in the majors, send him to triple-A, either one I'm fine with. If you can sign a FA like Pierzynski, great, we can let Brantly work out his shit in the minors. If no move there makes sense, I'm fine with him and Mathis heading into next year.

Second and Third get a bit tricky. I think Dietrich has tons of potential, and I think if we're ever going to find out if he can make things happen '14 is the year. Solano has also shown he can play, and he's worth holding on to as a utility infielder. At the very least, those two can probably make a formidable platoon next year.

I think Third is going to have to be where we make our biggest offensive improvement. What FA are at the hotcorner next year that will be available as a stopgap on a one-year deal that can provide some pop? Moran could be ready sometime next season, but will there be an Eric Chavez-type guy on the market? Internally, the only person that makes sense as a stopgap is Cox, who could make a nice #2 hitter getting on base and making contact, but he lacks any power. If Dietrich can provide 20 HR power next year then it's not an issue, but it really hinders on his development.

Basically, I'm not wild about signing any FA because I like what we have. However, I'm also not 100% confident in what we have. The tricky part is, I think we're close to contending, just one or two impact bats away. If the internal options come through, it could happen next year, but it's very possible that doesn't happen. Man I need a drink...

I would love to see the team approach some FA's in the off season at catcher, 2B, 3B, but I am also not going to be surprised if only one, or none, of those positions are shopped.

Keep Brantly in the majors, send him to triple-A, either one I'm fine with. If you can sign a FA like Pierzynski, great, we can let Brantly work out his s*** in the minors. If no move there makes sense, I'm fine with him and Mathis heading into next year.

Second and Third get a bit tricky. I think Dietrich has tons of potential, and I think if we're ever going to find out if he can make things happen '14 is the year. Solano has also shown he can play, and he's worth holding on to as a utility infielder. At the very least, those two can probably make a formidable platoon next year.

I think Third is going to have to be where we make our biggest offensive improvement. What FA are at the hotcorner next year that will be available as a stopgap on a one-year deal that can provide some pop? Moran could be ready sometime next season, but will there be an Eric Chavez-type guy on the market? Internally, the only person that makes sense as a stopgap is Cox, who could make a nice #2 hitter getting on base and making contact, but he lacks any power. If Dietrich can provide 20 HR power next year then it's not an issue, but it really hinders on his development.

Basically, I'm not wild about signing any FA because I like what we have. However, I'm also not 100% confident in what we have. The tricky part is, I think we're close to contending, just one or two impact bats away. If the internal options come through, it could happen next year, but it's very possible that doesn't happen. Man I need a drink...

Our offense sucks as it is... with nobody hitting over .300, a lot more than third needs to be worked out here....

Honestly, there are a few free agents that could make decent stopgaps at the main positions of need.

Utley is declining but still better than anything currently available at 2B, and could probably be had for -fairly- cheap.

There is the obvious McCann or Pierzynski at C (amongst other options that may not be quite as large of upgrades but are still upgrades.)

3B is a bit tougher to find. If healthy chaves is cheap and okay...but for the most part you're looking at guys that are well into their careers and are giant question marks (like a youkilis, young or uribe)...unless the Marlins would be willing to pay someone like Jhonny Peralta...which I'm not a fan of.