Still trying to understand the Marlins trading away Matt Dominguez....

jsprt05

According to WAR, he would have been the second best position player on the Marlins last season. At the time, the trade was a desperation type thing, trying to get a veteran bat that could "drive in runs" in Carlos Lee. It was a bad trade, but it won't cripple the organization and it isn't nearly as bad as most people make it out to be. With Dominguez last season, we win maybe one more game.

ehh.. Dominguez didn't develop quick enough to be reliable. Combine that with the Marlins flirting with the last spot of the wild card (I think) + Offense struggling at the time.. I could see why it was made; could care less about it now anyway

To any sane person at the time of the trade, it was clear that the Marlins had zero chance of making the playoffs. Even if it wasn't mathematically zero, it was pretty clear that the roster wasn't nearly good as people had anticipated. It needed far much more than Carlos Lee, who actually sucked and was arguably a downgrade from Gaby Sanchez when you take defensive ability into consideration.

Anyone who thought that Carlos Lee was remotely close to being the missing piece of the puzzle had to have been smoking crack.

Even worse, while Dominguez didn't pan out to be the player the Marlins thought he would be when they drafted him, he was still basically all they had in terms of 3B depth in their system.

There is really no way to justify what the Marlins did here. It was clearly idiotic even at the time--several of us said so.

It's pretty simple guys. Stupid, but simple.

Jose at SS, Hanley at 3B. They, at the time, totally didn't think they were going to trade either of them away anytime soon. As such, there was nowhere to put Doming.

Now, of course, our FO was incredibly short-sighted and traded both of those dudes away, so this ended up being incredibly stupid. But if they had kept them (they'd still be under contract), nobody would be talking about this.

I think we all understand what the thought process was--it's not very flattering to think about.

They are pretty stupid and short-sighted if they did not even consider at the time of the Dominguez trade the possibility that they might be trading Hanley Ramirez away three weeks later. It's almost like on July 4th they didn't even consider that the team had no shot and thought that Lee was the only fix they needed. There's no excusing how they handled this. You don't trade Dominguez away unless you are certain that Ramirez will hang around. Sure, they tried to remedy this by bringing in Cox but he was projected to be more of a bust than even Dominguez was.

Furthermore, the addition of Carlos Lee would still be hailed as stupid regardless. Trading away Dominguez is only one side of the equation.

Hey Rabb nice to hear from you Dude!

That is pretty accurate but the FO has made a habit of leaving the cubbards bare...My pet peeve is how poorly they have been drafting in most recent except for 1 or 2 players, they have only brought in pitching. That in itself is not a bad thing but when the entire organization is lacking position players of impact regarding prospect status, they need to do some rethinking of their talent evaluation strategy, A very small amount of prospects are really homegrown

I think we all understand what the thought process was--it's not very flattering to think about.

They are pretty stupid and short-sighted if they did not even consider at the time of the Dominguez trade the possibility that they might be trading Hanley Ramirez away three weeks later. It's almost like on July 4th they didn't even consider that the team had no shot and thought that Lee was the only fix they needed. There's no excusing how they handled this. You don't trade Dominguez away unless you are certain that Ramirez will hang around. Sure, they tried to remedy this by bringing in Cox but he was projected to be more of a bust than even Dominguez was.

Furthermore, the addition of Carlos Lee would still be hailed as stupid regardless. Trading away Dominguez is only one side of the equation.

It's not flattering but it's what it is. It was one of those things that on it's own basically means nothing (I still don't care about this trade and it involved both my teams) but in the bigger picture of what's wrong. It's not about trading away Doming, it's about the stupidity of having zero foresight.

Hey Rabb nice to hear from you Dude!

That is pretty accurate but the FO has made a habit of leaving the cubbards bare...My pet peeve is how poorly they have been drafting in most recent except for 1 or 2 players, they have only brought in pitching. That in itself is not a bad thing but when the entire organization is lacking position players of impact regarding prospect status, they need to do some rethinking of their talent evaluation strategy, A very small amount of prospects are really homegrown

Good to be back. I was seeing so much red last season that I couldn't see the keyboard to post about my anger.

We suck at drafting and/or developing players, so who is our new GM? The former VP of player development. I don't even know.

It's not flattering but it's what it is. It was one of those things that on it's own basically means nothing (I still don't care about this trade and it involved both my teams) but in the bigger picture of what's wrong. It's not about trading away Doming, it's about the stupidity of having zero foresight.

Well, again, it only appears to mean nothing because Dominguez is sort of expendable, but it exposes the idiotic thought processes of the people in charge. How can you trust a front office that thinks this scenario consisted of sound baseball moves? I wouldn't even trust the mastermind behind that trade to set the line-up for my fantasy baseball team.

Well, again, it only appears to mean nothing because Dominguez is sort of expendable, but it exposes the idiotic thought processes of the people in charge. How can you trust a front office that thinks this scenario consisted of sound baseball moves? I wouldn't even trust the mastermind behind that trade to set the line-up for my fantasy baseball team.

Dominguez was a above average to plus glove with decent skills with the bat...at a position that was a vast wasteland in the organization...Carlos Lee was a has-been at the time with a bad attitude definitely not a clubhouse presence, he also was a DH playing in the NL ...at the time I hated the trade at the moment I loathe it

I understand the reasoning of the trade, the Marlins thought their slim chances of making the playoffs hinged on Carlos Lee, where I fault the team, like others, was the dismantling of the team shortly thereafter with no other option for 3b. Dominguez's biggest drawback was his power or lack thereof, thus he became expendable. That said I wish he was still with the team I would take his numbers at third over McGhee or whoever they run out there this season.

This is why Loria's fingers are all over what happened here. Experienced smart baseball people would not do this. You have to believe Admin Beinfest was grumbling under his breath & secretly cursing Loria, but didn't have the cajones to confront Loria about how stupid it was.

Well, you might be right, but then again neither you nor me nor anyone else commenting here knows exactly what happened or exactly why it happened. But, hey, there's nothing like pure speculation when you hate the owner.

I, too didn't think much of the trade, not being able to figure out why they would throw away what little depth they had at 3B, but obviously owner-hate explains everything, grumbling and all.

The stakes are pretty low (Dominguez will never be an all-star), but the Dominguez/Lee trade is probably one of the the most idiotic moves in franchise history.

Yeah, it was dumb especially since they blew up that team like 3 weeks later. However, he wouldn't start for most teams other than the Astros and probably won't be around for long.

Yeah, it was dumb especially since they blew up that team like 3 weeks later. However, he wouldn't start for most teams other than the Astros and probably won't be around for long.

I disagree, I see him improving his plate discipline over time and sticking around with the glove. He'll have a long career IMO.