April 19, 201412 yr I was thinking about what new way we would find to lose this one. The errors need to stop; I do not recall Dietrich being this shaky at second. I think he has lost some confidence and is thinking about it too much. Dunn gave up the hit to Almonte but was better overall considering the Dietrich error. Ramos made a good pitch but Hart managed to go down and get it on the barrel. Still much to improve. I do wonder if it's in his mind about when he got his nose broken on the grounder in Spring (I was at that game, too).
April 19, 201412 yr Author I do wonder if it's in his mind about when he got his nose broken on the grounder in Spring (I was at that game, too). Good point, I didn't even think about that. Dietrich won't win any gold gloves, but he wasn't supposed to be this much of a liability either. He has to get out of his own head, unfortunately the more errors and not-scored-as-errors-mistakes he makes, the harder that will be for him.
April 19, 201412 yr lol you even had Tommy Hutton the old-timer questioning what the hell Redmond was doing that inning. I'm gonna go watch the replay of that slam about 400 times.
April 19, 201412 yr No, no no no no no. Like I said, we have Stanton under contract until 2016. It would be incredibly infuriating to let him go with 2 or 2 and a half seasons left that we could've kept the best power hitter in baseball. At some point I am going to say f*ck prospects, f*ck potential, f*ck all these projection players that are still unprovens, I want to keep the proven great hitter. You can't keep trading great players away for this promise of "building for the future". At some point you build for now. Last year was a build for the future. We're still in build for somewhat future, but we've got enough talent on this roster to compete each and every game. Get Stanton under contract long term, get him the money he deserves once he puts up a monster season (the team f*cked up its chances of getting him for a discount a long ass time ago) and build a damn contender around him. For once do what you have promised your fans countless times that you were going to do. Build a winning team. That includes Stanton. The moment you trade Stanton for whatever the f*ck you trade him for is the day you gave a big F U to winning and a big Loria sized grin to beating god awful cheapskates. I think the big F U to winning has already happened.
April 19, 201412 yr Now, if we could just replace Dunn and Marmel, because those two F**kers will destroy this team full of talent if they dont do something fast
April 19, 201412 yr Shrek is love, Shrek is life. http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/30963.png&w=350&h=254
April 19, 201412 yr Redmond only challenged that play because he saw my posts on the game thread about the transfer rule. You're welcome.
April 19, 201412 yr Redmond only challenged that play because he saw my posts on the game thread about the transfer rule. You're welcome. Brett Butler helped too. ;-) Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
April 19, 201412 yr Now, if we could just replace Dunn and Marmel, because those two F**kers will destroy this team full of talent if they dont do something fast Yes, but our defense has got to get better too. Leading the league in errors is not helping either, which is a little odd considering how many errors have been committed from the infield with Perry Hill as the coach. Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
April 19, 201412 yr I;ve been saying ever since he got here that Dunn blows. He is not a guy that should be pitching in any close game. Relievers are incredibly easy to find we shouldn't be wasting useful innings on guys who can't consistently throw strikes. Even last year when everyone praised him for having a good year he wasn't all that great to me. High WHIP relief pitchers are the worst thing you can have and he has consistently been one his entire career. Same with Webb when we got rid of him. He may have put up a good ERA too but relievers need to be counted on to throw strikes and make quick work of innings so guys aren't all over the base. Also, Brian Flynn should replace Slowey next time through the rotation and Furcal should be a utility guy and a guy off the bench and Solano should be sent down when Furcal is healthy.
April 19, 201412 yr Regarding Redmond's decision to bunt, can someone explain it to me? I didn't see the game so I don't know the game was flowing, but if even Tommy was confused there must be some sort of reason Redmond wanted to make the play. Why did he want 1st base open? And if that's what he wanted, why bunt towards third? Maybe he wanted to surprise the defense? Someone please enlighten me. Edit: From Marlins.com: "I was trying to get a couple of guys in scoring position," Redmond said. "The way we've been going, if he swings, he might ground into a double play. I wanted to get guys in scoring position. "I still take my chances with the bases loaded and one out, and our four-hole hitter at the plate, if they walk [stanton]."
April 19, 201412 yr why bunt towards third? I'm just going to focus on this part. If there are runners on first and second, you want the bunt to go towards third base. Why? Because you're forcing the third baseman to come in and field it, thus vacating any fielders at the third base bag, and allowing the runner to safely reach his intended target of third base. If you bunt towards first in that situation, the first baseman is already crashing in hard, so he'll have an easy throw to third and get the lead runner, thus thwarting the efforts of what one was trying to achieve. Outside of that, it was a dumb decision either way. He could have grounded into a double play, yes, but he had been 9 for his previous 26 going into that at bat. *shrug* Don't know what to tell ya, really. :lol
April 19, 201412 yr I can't believe he said that. I've never heard a manager say "the way we've been going, if he swings, he might ground into a double play." Managers usually portray this unwavering faith in their players. I'm glad he was honest. However, it was still a dumb move. Ozuna is hot and has speed. I would've just let him swing. If he DP's, then we've got Stanton with 2 outs and a guy on third. Not the worst thing in the world.
April 19, 201412 yr I can't believe he said that. I've never heard a manager say "the way we've been going, if he swings, he might ground into a double play." Managers usually portray this unwavering faith in their players. I'm glad he was honest. However, it was still a dumb move. Ozuna is hot and has speed. I would've just let him swing. If he DP's, then we've got Stanton with 2 outs and a guy on third. Not the worst thing in the world. No, we'd have Jones up with first and third with two outs. 150% guaranteed they wouldn't have pitched to Stanton.
April 19, 201412 yr No, we'd have Jones up with first and third with two outs. 150% guaranteed they wouldn't have pitched to Stanton. Based on what McClendon did and said, you are correct. They are completely afraid of him right now.
April 19, 201412 yr No, we'd have Jones up with first and third with two outs. 150% guaranteed they wouldn't have pitched to Stanton. You're right. Either way, I'd prefer that. We'd have 2 shots to get a hit, worst case (if you ignore the triple play possibility)
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.