4/18 Post Game

SongInTheAir

I would be ranting so hard about Redmond if we lost this game. The bunt by Yelich was a stupid decision in its own right. We only forget about it because Yelich is so good that he pulled off a perfect bunt. Redmond wanted to take the bat away from Ozuna and Stanton and give it to Jones at the biggest moment in the game. It is absolutely moronic that anybody would want to do that.

As for Stanton, I and everybody here hope he stays in Miami forever. He's going to get cold again at some point this year, as he's a naturally streaky hitter and always will be, but he's such a great player. There's no value right now I would want in return in a trade to give up Stanton. That's obviously hyperbole, but Stanton and Jose need to be the centerpieces of this franchise for the next decade guaranteed. To have the best pure power hitter in the game and the best young pitcher in the game is a great way to build a competitive team. At the very least we have these guys until 2016, so lets enjoy this to the fullest. But I hope this lives on into the 2020s.

Also Dunn NEEDS to be taken out of late inning duty. He's costing us games. I hate the conventional mindset of managers that certain guys need to have preconceived roles in the 'pen. We should be using the guys who will help us win games, and Dunn in the 8th inning given his current pitching isn't doing that. Try out some guys other than Marmol/Dunn and see what works. You laugh at that idea, but that is how we ended up originally with Cishek as our closer.

I would be ranting so hard about Redmond if we lost this game. The bunt by Yelich was a stupid decision in its own right. We only forget about it because Yelich is so good that he pulled off a perfect bunt. Redmond wanted to take the bat away from Ozuna and Stanton and give it to Jones at the biggest moment in the game. It is absolutely moronic that anybody would want to do that.

As for Stanton, I and everybody here hope he stays in Miami forever. He's going to get cold again at some point this year, as he's a naturally streaky hitter and always will be, but he's such a great player. There's no value right now I would want in return in a trade to give up Stanton. That's obviously hyperbole, but Stanton and Jose need to be the centerpieces of this franchise for the next decade guaranteed. To have the best pure power hitter in the game and the best young pitcher in the game is a great way to build a competitive team. At the very least we have these guys until 2016, so lets enjoy this to the fullest. But I hope this lives on into the 2020s.

While I agree with you wholeheartedly on all points, I hope that if we are planning on trading Stanton we trade him soon. His value will never be higher than it is now, given the combination of his healthy (so far) and productive season along with the years of control he has left. Like you said, nothing would make me particularly happy, but if we can get top SS and 1B prospects who are MLB ready along with some other shitbirds who have upside but aren't sure things, it might not take me as long to forgive the front office.

A's want Stanton? Give us Adisson Russell and Max Muncy as a starting point, then let's talk.

Indians interested? Lindor, Frazier, Bauer...let's start talking.

Dodgers? Pederson and Seager just to answer the phone.

Can we also give credit to Christian Yelich for how great he's started off this year. 12 game hitting streak, has hit like the guy we saw back in the minors (although that in the gaps power still isn't there yet) and is doing a great job in the lead off spot. He's a guy who is an important player moving into the future. We still have a lot of gaps in the lineup, but the signing of Salty was great, Yelich and Ozuna look like guys who have improved, and Stanton is the best he's ever been. Still really early this year, and we're three games under .500, but I still maintain that this is a different team than we saw last season. I'm really excited about this year. We'll eventually see Heaney in the rotation, the rotation and the 'pen should get better, and the lineup, no matter what the eventual decline will be this year, looks 1000 times better than the lineup we trotted out last year. Most importantly, it's fun to watch Marlins games again. It has been a long damn time since I've been able to say that.

While I agree with you wholeheartedly on all points, I hope that if we are planning on trading Stanton we trade him soon. His value will never be higher than it is now, given the combination of his healthy (so far) and productive season along with the years of control he has left. Like you said, nothing would make me particularly happy, but if we can get top SS and 1B prospects who are MLB ready along with some other s***birds who have upside but aren't sure things, it might not take me as long to forgive the front office.

A's want Stanton? Give us Adisson Russell and Max Muncy as a starting point, then let's talk.

Indians interested? Lindor, Frazier, Bauer...let's start talking.

Dodgers? Pederson and Seager just to answer the phone.

No, no no no no no.

Like I said, we have Stanton under contract until 2016. It would be incredibly infuriating to let him go with 2 or 2 and a half seasons left that we could've kept the best power hitter in baseball. At some point I am going to say f*ck prospects, f*ck potential, f*ck all these projection players that are still unprovens, I want to keep the proven great hitter. You can't keep trading great players away for this promise of "building for the future". At some point you build for now. Last year was a build for the future. We're still in build for somewhat future, but we've got enough talent on this roster to compete each and every game. Get Stanton under contract long term, get him the money he deserves once he puts up a monster season (the team f*cked up its chances of getting him for a discount a long ass time ago) and build a damn contender around him.

For once do what you have promised your fans countless times that you were going to do. Build a winning team. That includes Stanton. The moment you trade Stanton for whatever the f*ck you trade him for is the day you gave a big F U to winning and a big Loria sized grin to beating god awful cheapskates.

Alove Stanton. Totally non gay. Seriously.

No, no no no no no.

Like I said, we have Stanton under contract until 2016. It would be incredibly infuriating to let him go with 2 or 2 and a half seasons left that we could've kept the best power hitter in baseball. At some point I am going to say f*ck prospects, f*ck potential, f*ck all these projection players that are still unprovens, I want to keep the proven great hitter. You can't keep trading great players away for this promise of "building for the future". At some point you build for now. Last year was a build for the future. We're still in build for somewhat future, but we've got enough talent on this roster to compete each and every game. Get Stanton under contract long term, get him the money he deserves once he puts up a monster season (the team f*cked up its chances of getting him for a discount a long ass time ago) and build a damn contender around him.

For once do what you have promised your fans countless times that you were going to do. Build a winning team. That includes Stanton. The moment you trade Stanton for whatever the f*ck you trade him for is the day you gave a big F U to winning and a big Loria sized grin to beating god awful cheapskates.

Would love to "like" this more than once.

No, no no no no no.

I agree with you, but if we don't sign him, he walks after 2016 and we get nothing. Even if we trade him before he walks, his value is greatly lessened by the fact that whatever team he goes to wouldn't control his rights for as long. I am by no means saying we should trade him. No way. But, the front office knows if they're going to make a legitimate attempt to sign him. If they're planning on giving it a real shot, then great: hang on to him and hope he agrees to sign here. If they're going to low ball him and shrug their shoulders come 2016, then at least we can get something out of him now.

If Stanton says flat out to the front office "I have no intention of re-signing here", then yeah you obviously have to consider looking into trade options. But everything Stanton has said publicly indicates he is waiting to see how the team improves, and that if he sees that the team is moving in the right direction, he will sit down and discuss a contract extension. If we're for some reason contending in July, you bet your ass I'm sending every person in the front office and chirping into Stanton's agents ear about getting an extension done real soon. A lot of us wanted to pull a "Rays" and get him signed for a few free agency years back in 2011, but it was mildly understandable the front office waited given his injury history.

Waiting until after 2014 to do anything has been beyond irresponsible. The team can't play the whole "We can't afford him" card if he puts up a monster season this year, because they had their chance to get him signed for a reasonable amount back in 2011 and 2012. It's time to swallow your pride and overpay for what should be the co-face of your franchise for the next 10-15 years.

I was thinking about what new way we would find to lose this one. The errors need to stop; I do not recall Dietrich being this shaky at second. I think he has lost some confidence and is thinking about it too much.

Dunn gave up the hit to Almonte but was better overall considering the Dietrich error. Ramos made a good pitch but Hart managed to go down and get it on the barrel.

Still much to improve.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.