Kurkjian: Marlins aren't ready for playoffs

"I like the Marlins but without Fernandez with them from day one, they're not ready to be a playoff team."

"The Nationals are the only team in this league guaranteed to win a division; everything else is up for grabs."

What is this guy smoking, other than the ESPN pipe? Way to completely ignore everything we added and just hang the season on one month without Jose.

To say the Nationals are guaranteed the division is ridiculous at this point.

​Salty vs Ramos EDGE: WSH (huge)

Morse vs Zimmerman EDGE: WSH (slight)

Gordon vs Escobar EDGE: MIA (slight)

Hech vs Desmond EDGE: WSH (astronomical)

Prado vs Rendon EDGE: WSH (astronomical)

Yelich vs Werth EDGE: MIA (decent)

Ozuna vs Span EDGE: MIA (decent)

Harper vs Stanton EDGE: MIA (decent)

Alvarez, Cosart, Latos, Haren, Koehler vs Strasburg, Scherzer, Zimmermann, Fister, Gonzalez EDGE: WSH (the difference here is like the difference in speed between Dee Gordon and Jarrod Saltalamacchia)

The Nationals are a significantly better team than the Marlins. The Marlins should be a good team. The Nationals are a great team and will probably lead the league in wins with well over 100.

He could be right but I'm sick of the Nationals, as good as they are, being handed the division. Hate to say it but it takes one torn ligament to tear them down. There's a million ways their season can disappoint. Yes, they're good, but March predictions have been proven wrong every year.

​One ligament and they're down to their sixth starter, Tanner Roark.

Tanner Roark's 2014 (3.2 fWAR) would make him the undisputed ace of our 2015 pitching staff.

The Nationals have the best pitching we might ever see, lets realize now that they can spank anybody in this league.

I hope it doesn't bite us in the arse that we didn't go pay for Big Game James. With him I'd say we are comfortable favorites for the wild card. Now we NEED a solid #3 level year from Cosart, #4 level year from Haren, solid 2 months from Koehler. Thats also assuming Latos doesn't get rocked early on

The Nationals have the best pitching we might ever see, lets realize now that they can spank anybody in this league.

I hope it doesn't bite us in the arse that we didn't go pay for Big Game James. With him I'd say we are comfortable favorites for the wild card. Now we NEED a solid #3 level year from Cosart, #4 level year from Haren, solid 2 months from Koehler. Thats also assuming Latos doesn't get rocked early on

​Why would you expect Mat to get rocked early on? Because he had a bad outing after starting spring late? Come on. He will be fine. Mat Latos is a more than solid 2-4 starter in this league. Don't believe me just check out his three sub 4 ERA years in Cincy,

Washington is a safer bet for the playoffs than we are. Period.

As improved as we are, a lot still has to go right for us to be a playoff team this year. That includes Morse and Prado playing to their career numbers, Gordon playing more like 1st half of last year, Hech continuing to improve (even slightly) and Salty improving over last year's numbers.

That's not even including what Jose will be like when he returns.

​Why would you expect Mat to get rocked early on? Because he had a bad outing after starting spring late? Come on. He will be fine. Mat Latos is a more than solid 2-4 starter in this league. Don't believe me just check out his three sub 4 ERA years in Cincy,

​His velocity dropped 2 mph last season. That's a HUGE drop and a huge issue if his velocity doesn't come back. It was hopefully due to injury and will be fine now that he has healed, but a 90.7 mph Latos is NOT the guy who put up those years in Cincy.

Also, I think a lot of you expect Jose to come back and pitch shutouts. You have to realize that when he comes back he is going to be on the strictest of pitch counts and will rarely make it into the 6th inning. Aside from that, it takes most pitchers a while to regain their form after Tommy John. Jose will be Jose in 2016. We still don't know what he'll be this year.

Guest Vince0926

But an injury here and an injury there...and that could make a difference. Everybody is 0-0. We think someone like harper will play 162 but what if he gets injured and plays 100? Or if zimmerman gets injured, which happens every other week anyway? Then what? I still say nationals will win 90-94 but I think the marlins can as well.

Guest Vince0926
i have the marlis winning the division guys! :)

hi Vince

Hey polly. :-)  i actually do too. I will write my predictions the morning of april 5th for all to see, but i feel like its marlins/mariners.

All I'm going to say is a couple of years ago the "stacked" Angels were on everyone's list to win the division especially after the TV deal and signings of Hamilton, Pujols, and the like. Then this team in Oakland not only made the playoffs but also won the division that was handed to the Angels. Championships aren't won on paper, they're won on the field. They may have a good team on paper but they still have to produce. Let's revisit this come all star break.

Vince! What's up!

It's two months without Jose. Not sure why you guys are saying "one month". He's scheduled to return June 15 at the earliest, and I don't want him back any sooner than that unless he's 150% ready.

We need to be a couple games over .500 when Jose returns to have a legit shot, IMO. But a wild card is doable.

But a wild card is doable.

;)

But seriously. Nats rotation is disgusting. I think our infield is so significantly improved that we could have the best lineup in the East when it's all said and done, but it all starts with the rotation. We have a ton of potential in that dept, they have serious resumes.

But a wild card is doable.

;)

But seriously. Nats rotation is disgusting. I think our infield is so significantly improved that we could have the best lineup in the East when it's all said and done, but it all starts with the rotation. We have a ton of potential in that dept, they have serious resumes.

​Not gonna lie, you are a sexy bastard.