April 28, 201511 yr I was really just making a point. I'm not going to say I told you so about Dee after just a month, but Penguin wants to after 30 AB's? I think it's pretty evident Salty got DFA'd because he is a horrendous game calling/pitch framing/defending more so than his offense.
April 28, 201511 yr I think it's pretty evident Salty got DFA'd because he is a horrendous game calling/pitch framing/defending more so than his offense. I disagree because if he was posting up his 2013 numbers on offense the Marlins would have stuck with him for at least all of 2015 and then depending on Realmuto's progress then decide on Salty for 2016.
April 28, 201511 yr Side note... does Salty being DFA'd mean we make an attempt to keep Mathis here next year? I thought the plan would be to have 2016 be Realmuto starting with Salty finishing out his contract as the backup. With that out the window I wouldn't doubt Mathis gets a decent 2-3 year deal to stick around because if JT is legit offensively at least we know what we're getting from Mathis as the backup catcher. If nothing else, he's pretty consistent, for better or for worse. I know this is early to ask but just throwing it out there.
April 28, 201511 yr I think it's pretty evident Salty got DFA'd because he is a horrendous game calling/pitch framing/defending more so than his offense. absolutely. confirmed by redmond's comments. aka the front office didnt give a flying fuck about that aspect of his game when they actually signed him.
April 28, 201511 yr Author Side note... does Salty being DFA'd mean we make an attempt to keep Mathis here next year? I thought the plan would be to have 2016 be Realmuto starting with Salty finishing out his contract as the backup. With that out the window I wouldn't doubt Mathis gets a decent 2-3 year deal to stick around because if JT is legit offensively at least we know what we're getting from Mathis as the backup catcher. If nothing else, he's pretty consistent, for better or for worse. I know this is early to ask but just throwing it out there. I think so. I mean, Mathis is historically bad offensively, but with a backup catcher getting maybe six at bats per week, it really doesn't make much of a difference unless the starter gets injured. If the Marlins think Mathis is a good mentor to Realmuto and that he can help in his development, go ahead and keep him around for another year or two. However, they need to make sure someone else is ready to step in if Realmuto gets hurt, because Mathis as a starter is absolutely unacceptable. (I just looked at our Minor League catchers and laughed...if Realmuto gets injured, we are boned.)
April 28, 201511 yr I was really just making a point. I'm not going to say I told you so about Dee after just a month, but Penguin wants to after 30 AB's? Did you even read my last post? I doesn't seem like it. In short, he was terrible last season and the Marlins were trying to dump him even before his 30 ABs this season, but no team would bite.
April 28, 201511 yr Position scarcity is not a reason to fall into the trap of overpaying someone for a career year. The Marlins could have gone for a less expensive option and reserved that amount of money that went to Salty for adding value at a different position. Having said that, I of course did not expect him to be this bad. However, it was pretty clear that Salty's 2013 season was an aberration and partially fueled by Fenway. He wasn't even close to being the "must have" commodity that Wild Card thought he was. It's telling that he's practically the only person here who felt that way. Not to mention he was .162/.309.302 in his "career year" away from Fenway. And he still sucked behind the plate. Only a 21% CS. I hated his signing from the start. Still do. The only time I wanted this guy around was when he still had a chance to succeed and Texas had a surplus of catchers of which they looked like would get rid of at a low cost. But to sign him to that contract was retarded. And we will be paying for it now.
April 28, 201511 yr Wild CardMarlin Members 455 18,994 posts Posted 10 May 2014 · Report post I'll bet you $50 to Admin Salty's OPS is over .800 this season 4 Quote pollyvonwogMarlin Members 1204 11,304 posts Posted 10 May 2014 · Report post Take the bet Spike! Money where mouth is and all that! Props to WC for proposing it. 3 Quote Edit Options SpikeMarlin Members 271 8,952 posts Posted 10 May 2014 · Report post I'll bet you $50 to Admin Salty's OPS is over .800 this seasonI will take that. You base your entire opinion of him from the 3 years he spent in a hitters paradise in Boston. His power #s so far are unsustainable at Marlins park and the one thing he has shown more than anything else in his career is that he struggles to get on base. Pay the fucking man. Dont be that fucking asshole who talks the shit and then when its time to be a man, you run like a fucking little scared girl.
April 29, 201511 yr @wild blue can't believe you sleep with this guy There's no proof of that. Wait, is there?
April 29, 201511 yr Take it easy on old Wild Card. And pay Admin. I am sure that creep has some kind of legal fees for who knows what and that $50 could come in handy.
April 29, 201511 yr Take it easy on old Wild Card. And pay Admin. I am sure that creep has some kind of legal fees for who knows what and that $50 could come in handy. [ATTACH]151._xfImport[/ATTACH]
April 29, 201511 yr It is still unreal he was replaced by Realmuto. It only took 11 months of praying daily...
April 29, 201511 yr TB AZ and KC are 3 of 6 teams talking about salty. Surprisingly, no Boston. #salty #fish — Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) 2015년 4월 29일There is some buzz in there. I hope Fish make a deal with any team before releasing.
April 29, 201511 yr Pay the fucking man. Dont be that fucking asshole who talks the shit and then when its time to be a man, you run like a fucking little scared girl. I love how you left out the part where Spike said he didn't want to make a bet that didn't pay money to HIM. Unless that was a different time he and I made a bet. Anyway, I remembered the bet and did not recall the exact terms, I don't think anyone else did either considering we're talking about it six months too late. Nobody's running or scared, I don't know where all that hostility came from considering I never said or even suggested I wouldn't pay. Anyway, I'm happy to pay Admin, that's why I suggested he receive the funds when I made the bet to begin with. I've only been here for 12 years, I'm happy to do my part. I challenge the rest of the board to make bets going to Admin and actually pay up.
April 29, 201511 yr Pretty surprised there's this much interest in salty. Getting anything for him at this point would be a blessing.
April 29, 201511 yr I love how you left out the part where Spike said he didn't want to make a bet that didn't pay money to HIM. Unless that was a different time he and I made a bet. Anyway, I remembered the bet and did not recall the exact terms, I don't think anyone else did either considering we're talking about it six months too late. Nobody's running or scared, I don't know where all that hostility came from considering I never said or even suggested I wouldn't pay. Anyway, I'm happy to pay Admin, that's why I suggested he receive the funds when I made the bet to begin with. I've only been here for 12 years, I'm happy to do my part. I challenge the rest of the board to make bets going to Admin and actually pay up. WC check the thread I posted/linked to. Spike clearl agreed the $ goes to Admin, but you're right I think there was confusion and later he contended it was supposed to go to him. But yes the proof is in the pudding that Spike did in fact agree for it to go to Admin. I concur with your challenge, one which I've been more than happy to oblige to in the past!
April 29, 201511 yr Mike Bauman has an article up commending the Marlins for cutting their losses with Salty and moving forward with Realmuto quicker than anyone expected.
April 30, 201511 yr I was expecting salty to start until the end of may. Props to the fo for recognizing shit and flushing it. No, Donovan Solano is still on the team. As is his brother!
April 30, 201511 yr Admin, can you send me a link or something? Idk how to send you money. Just know I want some miles out of this.
May 4, 201511 yr Author Salty will be released tomorrow at 2:00pm, meaning the Marlins will be responsible for his entire salary minus the Major League minimum once another team picks him up. Looks like our front office may have overestimated the interest in Salty before the DFA. Either way, Salty is gone and that's addition by subtraction, but it still would have been nice to have gotten something back, even non-prospects like the guys in the McGehee deal.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.