Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Saltalamacchia Designated for Assignment.

Featured Replies

​Yeah, I mean I really got out of hand there when I was called "fucking retarded" by someone I've never talked to in my life.

 

​I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about Vince's example. If someone were to be a Marlins fan, come on these boards and say they didn't like Stanton, we'd call him retarded. I have no idea what you said or didn't say.

 

 

​I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about Vince's example. If someone were to be a Marlins fan, come on these boards and say they didn't like Stanton, we'd call him retarded. I have no idea what you said or didn't say.

 

​I don't dislike Stanton. can you guess how many Stanton baseball cards I have of him? no? try 20. you know how many autographs? ONE. so yeah, he is alright in my book. still, nobody is worth $325 million, let alone even $10 million.

 

 

​Nah, he'll probably go to the NHL or NBA playoffs wearing his Marlins gear...during our game.

 

​he is a dingbat and a liability to my television screen.

 

 

​You don't just criticize his swing, Vince. You say the marlins shouldnt have signed him and he'll never live up to his contract among other things of that nature. You ignore statistics and focus on his last at bat whenever he strike out or also ignore when he does something good. I still don't think you know what OPS is. Despite my opinion of Arpenschplat, he's not nearly as daft as you are when it comes to Stanton

 

​you know something? you are absolutely right. I will kindly analyze.

 

1. marlins should have signed him but I cant fathom $325 million. if they were going all out $20 mil/10 years would be ideal.

 

2. ignore advanced statistics? yes I do. I look at k's, homers, rbis, the normal stuff pre-2012 I assume, or whenever this silly WAR stat started, etc.

 

3. ignore when he does something good and leave the topic of strikeouts? yes you are correct. just last night on a line drive to right, I praised him for an excellent swing. let it be known. STRIKEOUTS INFURIATE ME, regardless of any player on our team.

 

4. ops? yes I know what it is. not important to me.

 

5. I don't even know what daft is, but again, when it comes to Stanton, it really does seem 2 out of every 10 at bats, he will crush it, and the other 8 he will strike out or pop up. that's a .200 avg and clearly he is above that. that's why he can go on hot streaks that can last a good week, and seem lost on another week.

 

6. this trolling business: hey man, Ive been watching since 1993. so i like to think i know what im talking about with players on this team. Stanton is a major talent and very gifted. but when he seems lost, what can i say other than i hope he figures it out soon.

 

7. nothing i say is really supposed to be insulting. again i hate losing. and we are all counting on Stanton helping this team. and i say the same about morse, yelich, prado, etc.

 

8 the only legit players who i may not for whatever reason is dunn, hand, and ramos.

 

 

​you know something? you are absolutely right. I will kindly analyze.

 

1. marlins should have signed him but I cant fathom $325 million. if they were going all out $20 mil/10 years would be ideal.

 

2. ignore advanced statistics? yes I do. I look at k's, homers, rbis, the normal stuff pre-2012 I assume, or whenever this silly WAR stat started, etc.

 

3. ignore when he does something good and leave the topic of strikeouts? yes you are correct. just last night on a line drive to right, I praised him for an excellent swing. let it be known. STRIKEOUTS INFURIATE ME, regardless of any player on our team.

 

4. ops? yes I know what it is. not important to me.

 

5. I don't even know what daft is, but again, when it comes to Stanton, it really does seem 2 out of every 10 at bats, he will crush it, and the other 8 he will strike out or pop up. that's a .200 avg and clearly he is above that. that's why he can go on hot streaks that can last a good week, and seem lost on another week.

 

6. this trolling business: hey man, Ive been watching since 1993. so i like to think i know what im talking about with players on this team. Stanton is a major talent and very gifted. but when he seems lost, what can i say other than i hope he figures it out soon.

 

7. nothing i say is really supposed to be insulting. again i hate losing. and we are all counting on Stanton helping this team. and i say the same about morse, yelich, prado, etc.

 

8 the only legit players who i may not like a person for whatever reason is dunn, hand, and ramos.

 

​1 - I'm not sure if you mean $20 million for 10 years or $20 million a year for 10 years. Either way, he was going to make more than that regardless. We got him for the same average annual value as a 10/250 deal [literally - it's $25 million a year for 13 years, averaged out].

 

2 - You can't just flat out ignore them. I'm not an advocate of [all] advanced stats, but they're here, and they have some useful information at times [iE - swinging percentage on pitches out of the zone, which would help your Stanton point].

 

3 - Agreed

 

4 - OPS is a pretty important stat, though. Very telling of the player's ability, I would say. Granted, I think for some players, it shouldn't be pushed too hard against them [iE Bonifacio in 2011 - not a power guy, so why be mad his OPS is under .800?], but for guys like Stanton ... .900+ OPS is great.

 

5 - Daft: silly, foolish. I agree with your points, though, on this spot.

 

6 - You basically repeated 5.

 

No need to touch 7 and 8.

 

 

​1 - I'm not sure if you mean $20 million for 10 years or $20 million a year for 10 years. Either way, he was going to make more than that regardless. We got him for the same average annual value as a 10/250 deal [literally - it's $25 million a year for 13 years, averaged out].

 

2 - You can't just flat out ignore them. I'm not an advocate of [all] advanced stats, but they're here, and they have some useful information at times [iE - swinging percentage on pitches out of the zone, which would help your Stanton point].

 

3 - Agreed

 

4 - OPS is a pretty important stat, though. Very telling of the player's ability, I would say. Granted, I think for some players, it shouldn't be pushed too hard against them [iE Bonifacio in 2011 - not a power guy, so why be mad his OPS is under .800?], but for guys like Stanton ... .900+ OPS is great.

 

5 - Daft: silly, foolish. I agree with your points, though, on this spot.

 

6 - You basically repeated 5.

 

No need to touch 7 and 8.

 

Thanks Michael. $20 mil per year by the way

 

 

I've always just assumed if a baseball player struggles it's because he'se a terrible person and should be treated accordingly.

 

Makes it easier.

 

How?

 

 

​Satire, Vince. :)

 

Oh haha. Sorry a bit tired from work today.

 

 

​I don't dislike Stanton. can you guess how many Stanton baseball cards I have of him? no? try 20. you know how many autographs? ONE. so yeah, he is alright in my book. still, nobody is worth $325 million, let alone even $10 million.

 

Is anyone else seeing this? Was I unclear in my post?

 

 

​Refresh my memory on that conversation.  I doubt you held off from being yourself long enough to have any kind of a reasonable discussion.  I've had many reasonable discussions with almost every other member of this board.

 

​http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/topic/72166-428-post-game/?page=4#comment-1523003

 

I learned long ago not to bother discussing things with people like you on here. 95% of people are reasonable here, but then you have the BroncoBobs of the world and you fit that mold. I couldn't help but laugh and call you out though at you calling yourself reasonable, though.

 

 

​I don't dislike Stanton. can you guess how many Stanton baseball cards I have of him? no? try 20. you know how many autographs? ONE. so yeah, he is alright in my book. still, nobody is worth $325 million, let alone even $10 million.

 

​Do you either

 

1) protest watching or going to baseball games (or support MLB by any other means) do to the mass revenue they pull in or 2) think all revenue made by MLB teams should go into the owner's pocket and players shouldn't get a cut?

 

I doubt 1 considering you're posting on here. Considering you're a Marlins fan, you could possibly fit #2 and think Loria is amazing. But I'd guess, more likely, you're a masochist like every other Marlins fan.

 

If you don't fit either of those two things though, you can't complain about a player making money. MLB makes a ton of money. Part of that money goes to the players. Hence players making millions of dollars. You can't complain about how much players make (I assume because you think it should go to something like teachers and firefighters) but then turn around and feed them your money. I mean, you can, but it's hypocritical. Put your wallet when you're beliefs are.

 

 

I'm starting to wonder if he's got some kind of reputation for being a shitty game caller or something, because the catching situation in AZ is pretty lousy.

 

​I think the fact Boston wouldn't take him back is pretty telling of his reputation

 

 

  • Author
I'm starting to wonder if he's got some kind of reputation for being a shitty game caller or something, because the catching situation in AZ is pretty lousy.

 

​I don't think it's as much a reputation as it is a fact. He is known as a shitty game caller, advanced metrics dealing with pitch framing have him listed as atrocious as well. He doesn't help his team when he's batting and he doesn't help his pitchers when he is catching.

 

 

​I don't think it's as much a reputation as it is a fact. He is known as a shitty game caller, advanced metrics dealing with pitch framing have him listed as atrocious as well. He doesn't help his team when he's batting and he doesn't help his pitchers when he is catching.

 

​That basically sums it up right there. Even then I don't think even his biggest haters here would have thought he'd be this bad. The most basic thought was "At least he'll be better than a whole year of Mathis" and to an extent not even that was true. Sucks that he fell so hard but oh well.

 

 

Btw, I cannot find Salty's name on Dbacks transaction page, even its record doesn't exist in AAA transaction.

 

Is there anyone knows where Salty is?

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.