Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Loria agrees to sell Miami Marlins to Sherman and Jeter.

Featured Replies

I thought I would be excited for this day when it came but right now I'm indifferent if not alittle bummed. It's not that I don't want Loria to sell but Mas seemed like the better fit for this team based on what we had seen. Really seemed that Mas never stood a chance as long as Jeter hung on. Don't call me optimistic for spending on payroll when they struggled and struggled to come up with enough to purchase the team.

 

 

That's not really fair. I think people here would unilaterally agree that Mas would have been the better choice on paper. It's not like this is a lose-lose situation and people would have complained even if Mas got the team. I think the reactions here are reasonable because there are real red flags about Jeter's ownership and it seems doubtful that any of the problems that have been plaguing the franchise will actually be resolved.

 

How reassuring is it that Loria just sold it to a group of 16 (!) investors and it took Jeter months and months to even get that much money grouped together. Does anyone actually think that the Loria penny-pinching will cease now?

 

Again, I'm inclined to give them a shot and prove everyone wrong, but this looks disappointing on paper.

 

I was being a smart ass because the general idea that we aren't doing back flips today is amusing to me. But yes I actually agree with you as I preferred Mas too.

 

In a way us being skeptical and not blindly excited today makes us true Marlins fans as opposed to those today who are gonna be like "Ohhhh yesss Jeets got the Mahlins greatest owner ever I hope he puts dem fish in navy pinstripes and renames the stadium into Yankee Stadium South tonight!" And you know damn well those fans are out there. 

 

 

I do definitely agree that fans who go to 1-2 games a year and only casually follow the team are going to be thrilled about this.

 

Because they don't know any better. If they knew the details and what a mess Jeter is taking on they'd be shocked. I would never truly wish any worse on this franchise but I think I'd pay to see and hear the reactions of casual fans if Jeter can't fix this team in the very near future. "BUT I THOUGHT JEETS WAS THE BEST OWNER EVER????" 

 

 

Isn't it already tomorrow there?

 

Ohhh yea I think so lol. I was being a smart ass, no time to check my time zone accuracy. Truthfully though he might be asleep at this time. 

 

 

 

 

4:40pm: Current president David Samson and president of baseball ops Michael Hill are expected to retain their roles once the deal goes through, Jon Heyman of Fan Rag reports. Whether that’s intended mostly to be transitional or instead to be permanent isn’t immediately clear.

 

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/heyman-jeter-group-closing-marlins-purchase/

 

 

 

Expected to retain their roles? What the fuck.

 

 

On one hand it is rather darkly humorous that so many of us feel this too will end poorly with so many people having their hands in the ownership pot when we've (mostly) been clamoring for Loria to go bye-bye for years now.  I too have concerns with the team being owned by so many people, but ultimately, in the very least I don't see the end result being much worse than it is now and there's a chance for it to be better which would never happen under Loria.  I'm baffled as to why they'd keep Hill around though unless this new group is really that clueless and just thinks having Jeter attached in some fashion will magically transform the team.  It'll be an interesting offseason for sure though - hopefully the new group will seize upon the positive vibes that will give them a slight bump in the press and acquire some legit FA's to further enhance their image to the casual fan.

 

 

I bet he thinks we just acquired Jeter as a player. 

 

:hill  - "Jeter is my second favorite All-Time Yankee... after Tommy John..."

 

 

 

Expected to retain their roles? What the fuck.

 

Sounds transitional to me. As in they haven't chosen their replacements yet. Jeter is gonna want his own people in place especially when this team isn't exactly riding a string of successful seasons right now. 

 

 

Mas was the better choice. 16 investors, led by someone who only put in 25 million, is ridiculous. Hopefully this Sherman guy is actually a real Marlins fan who will give us a reason to be proud of the team, not a Scott Stapp kind of Marlins fan.

 

 

Is Mike Hill fired yet?

 

 

 

At least Loria is gone.

 

 

 

Jeter and MJ are buddies.

 

Are all your posts today gonna be five words long? 

 

 

I like how the Marlins have decided to wear a patch on their jerseys to signify how many investors are buying the team. Nice touch there.  

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.