Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Loria agrees to sell Miami Marlins to Sherman and Jeter.

Featured Replies

Because I hold him partly responsible for the team's financial problems, he has far more sway over baseball operations than someone with his title should, and his overall persona/conduct is one of the reasons why this franchise has been perceived as circus act.

 

That's the most concise and accurate description of David Samson ever. It's also not exaggerated illogical hate like so many do. Good post. 

 

 

That's the most concise and accurate description of David Samson ever. It's also not exaggerated illogical hate like so many do. Good post. 

 

Well hate or not, what would be the reason for new ownership to keep either one of these two after the ownership change?

 

 

I am not as convinced of this as you are. The various news articles since yesterday seems to suggest that Jeter is willing to give Samson a position. Much of what is written is admittedly ambiguous, but I interpret this as indicating that Samson's role might be more than transitional. 

 

Heyman basically said "Jeter has made it known that he's willing to keep Samson on in a role." That sounds more than transitional to me.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a priority on the bargaining table however low. You give my step son a position and I'll allow you more time to get a deal done.

 

 

From mlb.com

 

Samson expects the deal to be completely finished within the first few days in October.

 

"We've been talking about this for a long time. It's been a process that has had a lot of twists and turns and a lot of misinformation out there," Samson said. "There will be more to say when it's done. The only thing I'll add right now is we feel really good. I think it was very important from Jeffery's standpoint that there was an ownership group who had not just connections to Miami, but an understanding of what it means to be here in Miami and to run a team like the Miami Marlins."

 

So running it into the ground like a cheapskate coupled with inept decision makers :hill  

 

because that formula has gotten us into the playoffs!!!!

 

 

Reading between the lines, I'm inclined to believe that Mike Hill is going to stay on with more than a transitional role as well.

 

fuck why?

 

 

If the home run sculpture and a change of uniforms is a priority for this new group then we're all fucked. 

 

You know what would make that home run sculpture look nice? A new world series championship banner hanging off the top of it. My point is, focus on the on field stuff first and foremost. No one will talk about the sculpture during game 1 of the world series at marlins park.

 

Anyone who is more worried about the sculpture is an idiot. 

 

 

Part of a new ownership group coming in should be to come in and evaluate the organization top to bottom to see what should stay and what should go.

 

If Sherman and Jeter really think Mike Hill should stay as GM then we're screwed. If it's some kind of deal to keep Hill in the organization then it's only fine as long as he's not GM or any high ranking position that involves making baseball decisions. Maybe he can stay as one of those B.S. titles like "Assistant to the President" like McKeon has where he does nothing but show up every so often. 

 

 

There's a rumor that the new group might want to tear out the hideous home run sculpture.

 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/report-jeter-group-buying-marlins-could-remove-home-run-sculpture-from-ballpark/

 

Fuck yes!

 

That sculpture was paid for by an art grant if I remember correctly.  There may be some verbage in the grant whether/when it can be removed/changed.  So it may have to remain for a while or stay.  It's certainly ugly, but it represents a lot of South Florida--quirky, flamingos, dolphins, palm trees, ocean waves.  What would you put in its place?

 

 

If I remember correctly there was a lot of discussion about how much debt is on the books, and how much there can be.  I thought the number was no more than $400M of debt, and already there was close to that amount.  So has anyone heard of any talk whether Loria will pay off that debt with sale proceeds?  Or does the debt carries forward and if extra $ are needed, it will have to come from the partners in the form of capital contribution?

 

 

Part of the price includes them taking over the debt, Loria isn't getting 1.2 billion in cash.

 

So if I understand you, the debt will remain on the books but it may be reduced by some of the sale $??

 

 

Essentially the new owners will be inheriting the debt as part of the sale.

 

Yeah, they haven't made that clear, but I can't imagine the new owners inhereting that kind of debt.  That essentially means it's a $1.6 - $1.7 billion transaction.  Not a chance in hell anybody agrees to that for the Marlins.  Most "professionals" weren't estimating their value at $1.2 billion w/ clean books.

 

 

Because I hold him partly responsible for the team's financial problems, he has far more sway over baseball operations than someone with his title should, and his overall persona/conduct is one of the reasons why this franchise has been perceived as circus act.

 

The majority of the people on here just a few weeks back seemed to all approve that Samson was one of the few, if only, front office people they actually liked - myself included. Color me surprised over the sudden vitriol.

 

 

A return to the old logo and colors (With an M instead of F) would be glorious. 

 

Also, paint over all the lime green in the ballpark. 

 

 

I have no problem changing the logo and changing the colors.  If you look at hats like at Lids they have all different color arrangements in the M.  And I know it happens with other teams, but most are long standing teams with at most a few colors.  Not like ours that have many, and we're not a branded franchise like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, etc.  In fact I don't remember ever seeing a variation of the colors in Cubs logo.

 

Now on the lime green.  Too many parks/stadiums have the dark green already.  To me it isn't lime green, but closely matches the sod.  So I would leave it alone.  We need to be a little different; we are South Florida, baby.

 

But making a division between old and new I agree.  Too many bad feelings a lot of us diehard  Marlin fans and bandwagon Marlin fans.

 

 

Mas was the better choice. 16 investors, led by someone who only put in 25 million, is ridiculous. Hopefully this Sherman guy is actually a real Marlins fan who will give us a reason to be proud of the team, not a Scott Stapp kind of Marlins fan.

 

I don't know- 1.2 billion is a lot of money. If this was a 500m sale I'd understand. The team is already losing money. I'm sure there's agreements in place that allows someone else first crack at taking someone's stake if they want out. 

 

Its not like the expos of the 90's where loria made cash calls and everyone hung up. 

 

Im not concerned about the number of investors, and considering Mas kept trying to lower the bid from what I read I think this is the best case scenario. 

 

The whole baseball world will know we're under new ownership, and even casual fans and the "Today show" crowd. 

 

I think that's what MLB wanted most:

 

didnt someone in here say Mas isn't respected in the Cuban community too? 

 

 

Now on the lime green.  Too many parks/stadiums have the dark green already.  To me it isn't lime green, but closely matches the sod.  So I would leave it alone.  We need to be a little different; we are South Florida, baby.

 

They should use the blue they used during the WBC.

 

 

When the Agels were sold to Disney they tweaked the team logo and unis transitioning into the disaster pinstripes and erected A logo.

 

Once new owners took over in the early 2000's they changed the Disney colors n design. So I'm hoping the new owners would do something to move on from the Loria era.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.