Stanton traded to Yankees for Castro, Guzman and Devers

Admin

Yanks and Dodgers have been very open about wanting to reduce their luxury tax number.

But does the possibility of adding Stanton make them reconsider?  I mentioned this earlier, but I heard on MLB radio that the Dodgers have $60 mill coming off the books next year, so maybe they take the hit for one year or somehow convey to Stanton to just say no and wait for next year.  Plenty of intrigue.

Fans want Stanton to be a Dodger. Stanton wants to be a Dodger, but he made that nearly impossible by signing a 10-year contract. In addition to the $295 million Stanton is owed, if he came to the Dodgers, that number would almost double because of luxury tax. It's hard to imagine a team that finished one win shy of winning a World Series, with the stated intent of developing from within, committing more than half a billion dollars for one player, especially with Kershaw being able to opt out within a year. More likely is acquiring a right-handed-hitting left fielder to compete with Enrique Hernandez as a platoon-mate for Joc Pederson, Andrew Toles or Alex Verdugo.

Dodgers.com

I know its one writer's opinion, but what he mentioned is a fact.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/david-lennon/yankees-hall-steinbrenner-luxury-tax-1.14994774

"Hal Steinbrenner eager to get Yankees under luxury-tax threshold"

Why do you do this to me you know I have my  even better source LOL

This was taken from The NY Daily News article written by Nicholas Parco

"Hal Steinbrenner and the Yankees have been preaching the importance for multiple seasons now of getting under the luxury tax for next offseason's prized free agent class that includes Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, among others."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/giancarlo-stanton-inclined-to-accept-trade-to-yankees-dodgers/ar-BBGnWfe?li=BBnba9I&ocid=iehp

im saying that i never said it WOULD happen, i said that if the other team did offer to take on the entire contract we would still get a top prospect.  I never guaranteed a team would 100% take on the entire contract.  In fact if you want to go back i said that if i was the marlins id prefer us paying off a small amount each year to get a better haul.

Dude, you sound like Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Always obfuscating. 

There has to be, even in theory, a point where the Marlins are able to support a contract like this right? I understand how and why it's a problem for us now but when won't it be? 

When they become a trusted franchise. Yes they have 2 WS titles but in 25 seasons of MLB play they only have 6 winning seasons. That is horrendous, and doesn't exactly make you a beloved or trusted franchise. People, especially those that live outside of South Fla, want to blame the fans here for the franchises problems, and always state the "well they have 2 WS titles", not looking at the reality...which is there has been WAAAAAY more bad & losing baseball with the Marlins than just about every other franchise. Yet lets blame the fans for ownership (meaning in particular the last 2) that has been particularly stinky when it comes to building a winning atmosphere, and one in which the fans can respond to. 

For most of the 25 years of this franchise it's been a Shit-Show on the field, but lets blame the fans (that live in one of the poorest per capita cities in the US) for not spending money on a team that is not likely to contend that year. Stanton alone is not enough to put fannies in the seats consistently, especially when the owner is dead set against his players, and including Stanton, do local TV and radio appearances. It was ludicrous to allow your own ego to get in the way of your franchise players ability to generate some excitement among the fans. 

It never gets talked about but is one of the 800lb gorillas that sit on this franchise, and that is the income inequality & the lack of disposable income much of the local population lives with. It's a huge reason the attendance suffers in Miami....and no putting the franchise in Broward would not make it a difference. Just look at the Florida Panthers for evidence of that, and also the Hurricanes games. People want to say it's a "big event" town, well yes it is, because the local population, due to stagnant wages, extremely high cost of living (average household in Miami-Dade County spends around 62% of their monthly income on putting a roof over their head) has made them more picky about what they spend the little amount of discretionary income they have. 

When you put a franchise that is losing on the field, has ownership with an ego problem, and lower disposable income....you get the Marlins attendance problems. Don't blame the fans, none of those is their fault. 

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to become the villain"... I mentioned this last week but if Stanton takes that route there's a point where he can become the bad guy here. He has every right to refuse a trade but if the trade to the Dodgers never comes he is also preventing Jeter from rebuilding the team the way he wants to. 

That's why I think it was a mistake for Jeter/Sherman to not talk to Stanton before the team was sold. Had they known he was (for sure) going to hold out for the Dodgers, they would have had leverage over Loria and force him to lower the asking price to cover for Stanton. And if Loria refused to allow them to, then walk away. And if they did talk to him, they should have known coming in then they would have sounded out the Dodgers & not wasted time on this and gone on with the rest of what they will do with other players. Wasting time now with Stanton, and Winter Meeting time will be wasted with that if no deal comes before, means it could be that other deals don't get done or are hastily done because of Stanton.

I guess I am wrong but I could swear he said we'd get a great haul, and they'd eat the contract. But I don't have time to go looking up old posts. 

i said we would get a nice haul for him regardless of how much money we eat or if the other team eats all of it.  i never guaranteed we would not have to eat any money while also getting a good deal, i said that obviously the deal will be lessened if we dont have to eat a single dollar, but that we will still get a good group of prospects. that's all ive ever said and the reported offers confirm that to this point.