Brinson

1. There is no CF who showed impression and dominance both NOLA and JAX. Zero replacement.

2. We have lots of time to wait for him.

1) Not important, could put anyone out there instead

2) Doesn't help his development to have him struggle in the big leagues

While I don't totally agree with it... didn't Brinson kill Triple A already for an extended time? He might be in that middle ground where he's too good for Triple A and not ready for the majors. In that case maybe staying up here isn't crazy for a while. There comes a point where it's still being "too patient" yes but I can see why they might be thinking patience is the key at this point. 

While I don't totally agree with it... didn't Brinson kill Triple A already for an extended time? He might be in that middle ground where he's too good for Triple A and not ready for the majors. In that case maybe staying up here isn't crazy for a while. There comes a point where it's still being "too patient" yes but I can see why they might be thinking patience is the key at this point. 

He did do well in AAA but it was in Colorado Springs so the numbers are hard to trust.

Sure but if this is the logic, why hit him 8th? I don’t believe in lineup construction having a great impact, but hitting 8th in the National League has to be the worst possible spot for a player you’re trying to develop. 

Sure but if this is the logic, why hit him 8th? I don’t believe in lineup construction having a great impact, but hitting 8th in the National League has to be the worst possible spot for a player you’re trying to develop. 

That's true. I have no explanation for the 8th spot thing. 

But at some point, you can’t just be patient for the sake of being patient and watch a guy that clearly has no business being up here.  He has shown no progress and is clearly overmatched day in and day out.  It sends a terrible message to the rest of the team as well that he gets this special treatment and gets to keep his job and not perform while others are set to a higher standard.  If he can’t crack a  200 average by early June, he must be sent down.

This is a good point.  I know we’re all supposed to be about “process” and being patient with the whole project playing out over several years.  But hitting Brinson 8th makes no sense from a developmental standpoint.  But if you’re trying to win games from one day to the next then he has earned the 8th spot.  I wonder if this was Mattingly’s call or if he’s getting word from the front office that they need to win more.  It is minor, but lots of little things can add up.  If he is indeed one of those so called AAAA players then given that he is 24 it probably does make more sense for him to work these things out up here.  This isn’t a first place NY team.  It’s a last place Miami team so most of his growing can still be done in a relatively private manner.  It is just that pesky notion of having a pitcher hit behind him and facing elite arms.  The service time ship has sailed.  The only feasible option would have been to run Braxton Lee out to left field every night and play Maybin in center.  Another odd thing is that he only has 1 SB.  To compound this he has two attempts.  Now the Marlins are last in the NL is stolen base attempts (16).  So this is likely a function of philosophy.  Or perhaps they know that base runners are a scarce resource and they don’t want to jeopardize them.  Regardless, Brinson is a guy you’d normally think of as an aggressive baserunner (quick/young CFer) and he isn’t. 

Is he already past the date where sending him down would grant us an additional year of service?

I’ll defer to someone else but given the month he played last year coupled with the two months he’s nearly played this year I can’t imagine it’s an option

How much of this is driven by organizational depth?  Sierra is playing CF in New Orleans. Brinson is clearly ahead of him so maybe service time be damned they’ve decided they want both of those guys playingCF every day and therefore Brinson gets the ML gig at the expense of service time.  Incidentally Jacksonville has also been playing Harrrison at CF but this could also just be a case of putting the best guy in center and there isn’t much to read into it 

He needs to be sent down. He had a good game in Milwaukee and the second game of the season when he picked up 4 hits. Other than that he is pretty much not doing much except with the glove. The Marlins have given him ample time, he does need to go back down and get going again. Heck, right now JB Shuck could do just as good as job lol

Honestly though, put Maybin in CF and keep Anderson in RF. Just waiting for the Marlins to finally get rid of Dietrich in LF. 

Hermida 2.0?

actually, I think we'd all be overjoyed if he was playing at Hermida's level

Actually way too soon to do what you’re doing. 

Elite defense and 5 HR’s. 

He needs to walk WAY MORE and strike out  less.  If he can do that he becomes a big asset.  

Whoever the dolt is that’s batting their young struggling prospect 8th in the lineup isn’t helping either. 

Way to early to say he’s a bust or a Hermida.  We’ll have to wait and see. We have time because the Marlins won’t be sniffing the playoffs for a long time.