Brinson

Erick

Riddle and Telis aren’t major leaguers.  But, yeah, bat Brinson anywhere but in front of the pitcher or send him down to work on pitch recognition

I think Riddle can play in the majors.  His defense is good enough to earn him a utility role on a roster.  

Riddle and Telis aren’t major leaguers.  But, yeah, bat Brinson anywhere but in front of the pitcher or send him down to work on pitch recognition

I don’t see how batting him somewhere other than 8th will help him. He can’t hit major league pitching no matter where he is at this point in his career.  He has already been at leadoff earlier and we saw the results.  He needs more minor league seasoning at AA.  I can’t recall ever seeing this team sticking with any hitter this long without a demotion batting sun 200

Riddle is hitting over .350 and Telis over .370 at AAA. With OBP over .390 and .400, respectively. Send Brinson down and one of these guys up. 

Tellis is hot refuse.  i dont know why he hasnt been DFA'd tbh.  A street free agent probably offers more potential.

At one point I had thought there was zero point in sending Brinson down this year.

you give him til Memorial Day (this weekend) I guess, see if he shows signs of getting shit together, if not, send him down for a reset, bring him back after the break.

The only real problem....

They dont really have anyone to bring up...

At one point I had thought there was zero point in sending Brinson down this year.

you give him til Memorial Day (this weekend) I guess, see if he shows signs of getting shit together, if not, send him down for a reset, bring him back after the break.

The only real problem....

They dont really have anyone to bring up...

Anybody they bring up will provide AT LEAST equal results, but put Brinson's service clock on hold.

I have no doubt he's going to be good, he just isn't ready yet...

Tellis is hot refuse.  i dont know why he hasnt been DFA'd tbh. 

Telis was DFA’d already this year.  He cleared waivers and accepted his minor league assignment from the Marlins.

As for Brinson, there are a multitude of factors to consider.  I’m just as guilty as everyone else for having tunnel vision with my opinion.  In March we had two schools of thought: 1) Hold him back for service time reasons and 2) Start him because he was 24, tearing up the Grapefruit League, and people wanted something exciting to watch.  I was firmly in favor of holding him back and I still think that was a giant mistake.  On other threads we’ve discussed his AAA numbers.  They’re great, but aided by Colorado Springs.  Holly discussed this during the broadcast last night (Twitter Tuesday questions or whatever they call it).  I viewer asked point blank about whether Brinson should be demoted.  Holly responded with a definitive “no”.  His reason being that he has to “learn to be a major leaguer” and you don’t do that by playing in AAA.  He elaborated a little bit more and they moved on.  Is this a good answer?  I have no idea.  But that could make sense.  In my unprofessional opinion I think Brinson’s plate appearances look better now than they did during April.  I’m not sure a statistical analysis would prove this out, nor am I convinced that it is the right way to look at Brinson at this stage of his development.  He’s not exploded onto the scene clearly.  This isn’t 2006 Hanley Ramirez.  That doesn’t mean that he’s Cameron Maybin 2.0 either.  There’s a middle ground.  If sending him to New Orleans means he’s going to feast on pitchers that will never see the big leagues then that is a waste of time.  He very well could be at a point in his development where it makes more sense for him to see major league pitching and work through that.  I’m no expert but “what to do with Brinson” isn’t a battle worth having on the internet.  He’s here, they don’t seem interested in ever sending him down.  End of story apparently.

As for Riddle, I think it is just a matter of making sure he plays everyday.  If he was with the Marlins he wouldn’t be playing ahead of any of the starters in the infield (which could also be something to consider regarding Brinson.  Sierra is playing CF everyday in NO.  You send Brinson down there and that bumps Sierra to a corner OF spot which maybe they don’t want). 

Anybody they bring up will provide AT LEAST equal results, but put Brinson's service clock on hold.

I have no doubt he's going to be good, he just isn't ready yet...

He should've been sent down to begin with for service time reasons alone, and now it's evident with the results.

I can understand the points made by Holly in Thrillho's post, but I think you send him down now for service time and to rebuild some confidence.  If he goes down and rakes, bring him back up the day he passes that extra year of service time threshold.  

service time reason should be reason alone to send him back down with as frugal as they are trying to be - so that combined with the fact he's essentially an automatic out in the lineup means there is no earthly reason to be up in the bigs right now. 

Riddle should be up and Prado needs to take a seat at this point.  Dude ain't right.

Riddle should be up and Prado needs to take a seat at this point.  Dude ain't right.

I was honestly hoping Prado would be on the bench and Anderson get the reps at third base, but I guess he's been alright in the outfield. Certainly has the arm for right field.

They wanted to keep Yelich, he wasn't traded for financial reasons. They felt the return package was fair and he wanted out anyway so with a fair offer (in their minds) they did it. Writing off the return is moronic so I hope you aren't. It was for the future, not for 2018. Anyone with any common sense knew the Brewers would see more production in 2018.

What other reason? Yelich is hitting .282 with 5 hr ,.350 obp and excellent defense. They got Brinson (nuff said), Harrison (.240 in AA) and Diaz (.182 In AA) and a pitcher that I can even care about looking up. Was it to get better? HA HA! Before the nonsense starts about future potential, Yelich hit .311 across ALL minor league seasons.  That is how you hit when you are going to be an all star.

Avg... now that’s how you measure a baseball player 

They wanted to keep Yelich, he wasn't traded for financial reasons. They felt the return package was fair and he wanted out anyway so with a fair offer (in their minds) they did it. Writing off the return is moronic so I hope you aren't. It was for the future, not for 2018. Anyone with any common sense knew the Brewers would see more production in 2018.

I'm happy with the package they received for Yelich.  Brinson, Harrison, and Diaz all have talent.  It's up to the Marlins to develop them. 

If only one pans out we are even.  If two of them pan out we are in great shape.  My feeling is that all three of them will contribute somehow. 

By the way, J T Realmuto only hit .269 in the minors.

I'm happy with the package they received for Yelich.  Brinson, Harrison, and Diaz all have talent.  It's up to the Marlins to develop them. 

If only one pans out we are even.  If two of them pan out we are in great shape.  My feeling is that all three of them will contribute somehow. 

By the way, J T Realmuto only hit .269 in the minors.

I also liked the package they got.

So you're saying he was traded purely because they were gaga over the prospects they got in return?  Hell, Brinson and Yelich are almost the same age (26 vs. 24).  Yep those 2 years were sure worth a roll of the dice that Brinson would somehow explode and become a player that's better than Yelich.  Or are we going down the whole "well, he wanted out" route which doesn't make sense since JT also wanted out and they certainly haven't parted with him.  Maybe they're holding out for another "quality" centerpiece prospect we got back like Brinson.....

So you're saying he was traded purely because they were gaga over the prospects they got in return?  Hell, Brinson and Yelich are almost the same age (26 vs. 24).  Yep those 2 years were sure worth a roll of the dice that Brinson would somehow explode and become a player that's better than Yelich.  Or are we going down the whole "well, he wanted out" route which doesn't make sense since JT also wanted out and they certainly haven't parted with him.  Maybe they're holding out for another "quality" centerpiece prospect we got back like Brinson.....

And Starlin wanted out also and is now saying and DOING all the right things and playing damn good, as is JT. Funny, the most disgruntled players are excelling.   How's that for wanting to get rid of clubhouse cancers.  That whole thing was just a convenient use of his, or his agent's, comments to do what they wanted to do.  Don't know why they needed it, but if they kept Yelich, I am feeling pretty sure he would have been just fine.  All we can do now is hope for significant improvement.

Brinson seems like a good kid with some skills and assets but its a third through the season and his avg and obp (.202) are the worst in the NL, among qualified batters. He needs a break. Either AAA or platoon or steroids ,bj, or something.

Also, to put it in technical terms, the Yelich trade was crap, given skills and contract, etc. No justification other than saving money. Any other reasoning is delusional.

no, no it wasnt.  you not understanding it doesnt mean it doesnt have a justification.