Nick Anderson acquired, Dietrich DFA'd

Ema2R

Bour is actually a good comp for what I’m trying to convey.  Yes he got traded for a player so you’re correct about that. But he landed on  team that was sub .500 and was used in pinch hitting situations with an occasional start. Dietrich has a place on a roster. But he’s not starting unless circumstances dictate it (like it’s a poor team or the real starter is out for an extended period of time).  

Philadelphia was genuinely trying to get to the playoffs and had a realistic shot till later in the season. So yes, he was valuable to a team in the hunt.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Check every contending team and see if there's a spot for Dietrich over other options. Maybe a couple but I doubt it is plenty.

But like I said it's not about it just being limited to the teams that actually made it into playoffs. Fringe teams like the phillies, A's, Mariners, rockies, etc could use a player like him (as the phillies proved by trading for someone as one-dimensional as Bour). I don't have the time to go into the rosters and check players one by one but I can tell you he's a pretty good comp for Kike Hernandez. Low average/decent power. The only thing that separates them is Kike has a slightly better glove, but outside of the career year that Hernandez had last year, they're pretty much the same player. 

This thread is curious as it seems people are either really overvaluing him or really underrating him.  Dietrich is a very nice bench piece to have.  He's not a starter on a playoff contender but he would definitely be one of their valuable bench/utility guys.  I know the Bour comparison is easy to make (the fact they got something back for him) but Bour didn't really have much value to most teams and was unique in the fact that he was FAR more valuable to the Marlins than any other team would ever have given up. Dietrich was/is just as valuable to another team (as long as he stays on the bench and plays the IF in spot starts).  He's a legit "all-star" bench/utility guy on just about any team out there - but again, not a starter on the bulk of MLB teams.  There's nothing wrong with any of that - I do still find it odd they couldn't find a partner to trade with since they managed to find one for Bour.  Whatever though, he clearly wasn't in the long term plans.  I will miss Dietrich though, that dude gave 110% every day and always ran up the line.  Much like Bour, I was hoping he'd really seize the chance last season and cement a starting gig but some things weren't meant to be.  I expect Dietrich to pop up on a contending team somewhere and have a great season being used to his abilities and have an utter blast - much like Yelich did this past year.  Who knows, maybe that's where he'll land even.

They’re still selling the new Deitrich jersey online. Marlins fans know you never buy an Authentic jersey with a players name on the back. 

Totally.  Someone should tell marketing to sell Jerseys with velcro and then they can sell the names separately for 12.99.