Marlins (Projected 42-48 Win Season)

Tuesday, April 30th Attendance (Night): 7,247

Wednesday, May 1st Attendance (Night): 7,262

Rays (Projected 98-104 Win Season)

Monday, May 6th Attendance (Night): 8,124

Tuesday, May 7th Attendance (Night): 8,059

The Numbers Tell The Story

Please stop making threads. 

Also, Rays will leave Florida because their lease expires in 4 or 5 years. 

Marlins will stay because they signed a lease for 30 more years. 

what the fuck is the point of this topic really?

The point of the topic is pointing out how foolish the National Baseball Media is for bashing the Marlins fanbase which is upset about the current product on the field while Tampa can’t even turn out 10,000 on a weeknight for a team that is going to win 95+ games.

The point of the topic is pointing out how foolish the National Baseball Media is for bashing the Marlins fanbase which is upset about the current product on the field while Tampa can’t even turn out 10,000 on a weeknight for a team that is going to win 95+ games.

Because its that simple right?

Because its that simple right?

It’s not that simple but it speaks to the fact that some of the excuses used by Tampa fans are not valid. Us Marlins fans are willing to put up with all of the same traffic and other hurdles in order to support our team, even if we are frustrated with the product on the field.

I also believe that when the Rays move out in the next decade, it will open up many opportunities that the Marlins haven’t had since 1994-1998. I find it to be no coincidence that our most successful years were when there was only one team in the state of Florida. Our TV ratings, merchandise sales, and sponsorship revenue would be much higher if we were the only team in Florida. For Example, markets such as Atlanta (Braves), Boston (Red Sox), and St. Louis (Cardinals) are all able to thrive because they don’t have competition within a 5 hour driving distance. I didn’t mean to saddle the forum with a ton of Rays talk, I just think that the Marlins would be in a much stronger financial position for payroll and therefore success as the only team in the State of Florida.

It’s not that simple but it speaks to the fact that some of the excuses used by Tampa fans are not valid. Us Marlins fans are willing to put up with all of the same traffic and other hurdles in order to support our team, even if we are frustrated with the product on the field.

I also believe that when the Rays move out in the next decade, it will open up many opportunities that the Marlins haven’t had since 1994-1998. I find it to be no coincidence that our most successful years were when there was only one team in the state of Florida. Our TV ratings, merchandise sales, and sponsorship revenue would be much higher if we were the only team in Florida. For Example, markets such as Atlanta (Braves), Boston (Red Sox), and St. Louis (Cardinals) are all able to thrive because they don’t have competition within a 5 hour driving distance. I didn’t mean to saddle the forum with a ton of Rays talk, I just think that the Marlins would be in a much stronger financial position for payroll and therefore success as the only team in the State of Florida.

No we aren’t. Tampa fans have it worse. A lot worse. With that said, if those in WPB and Browaed would stop crying that they aren’t in Miami Gardens anymore and show up a little more we wouldn’t be as pathetic. 

Oh, and merchandise was up because teal was a very “in color” in the 90’s (remember the orange hat was one of the best selling hats in MLB for 5 years or so too).

We weren’t successful in 1994-1998 either, we just won a World Series in 1997 and tore it down because we didn’t draw enough fans that year. 

Our TV ratings are down, our mechanise sales went down the last two years and those markets you mentioned (ATL, BOS, STL) have had teams for as little as 60 years and as long as over 100 years. 

Educate yourself a little more on the history and marketing of the game, then you’ll see we aren’t just a “empty” state away from thriving. 

Jeters right, this team needs to build a winner to have any chance of long term success. I just think he killed any goodwill he had gutting this team in this market and ultimately made his job 10x harder in the end winning over the casual fan. 

This team will only draw in August September and October, maybe April’s with a sustained winner and a decent playoff run. 

It will never be NY, Bos, STL or even the Jays or NYM. 

Kansas City is 4 hours away from St. Louis.

Kansas City is 4 hours away from St. Louis.

Kansas City is close by but St. Louis has vast TV territory that stretches into Iowa, Illinois, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi.

Other franchises that have good attendance numbers because of distance are Arizona and Seattle. If a franchise is placed in Portland it will negatively affect Seattle’s ability to compete.

Kansas City is close by but St. Louis has vast TV territory that stretches into Iowa, Illinois, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi.

Other franchises that have good attendance numbers because of distance are Arizona and Seattle. If a franchise is placed in Portland it will negatively affect Seattle’s ability to compete.

What helps St. Louis more than anything else is that they were able to build that fanbase over generations.  They also were the only team (them and the Browns, but they were the red headed step child really), and their radio network went FAR. KMOX was one of those stations that  you could pick up some 500 miles away, which helped build that base.  They were the only team there for decades (other than the Browns).    

The thing that helps Seattle is that hey have been there for 40 years.  They have built up that fan base.  Any team in Portland will take away some of their fanbase but I really dont think that alone would change much for their fan base except as to fans in Portland.  

A team in Vancouver would hurt them 100x more.   A team in Portland might actually help them due to a real natural rival at that point.  

You oversimply so much when it comes to fan base, geography and attendance its not funny.  You fail to take into account the many other variables that go into things that arent easily quantifiable via attendance at the ball park numbers.