8/8 Post Game Thread

This feels more like what we should expect, the team has fire and battles and can score some runs but the pitching staff outside of a few guys is shaky and will have a tough time holding opposing offenses down. And yeah geez Villar really blew it a few times tonight. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

They are still testing positive. They'll need to be negative twice 24 hours apart to return

Alfaro be the first one to test positive ? it's about two weeks since then. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Marlino said:

Exactly, I was about to say this. Swung at balls and helped the pitchers get out of inning and changed the game. That and the third year of the Brinson experiment is still not working.

That 3-0 curveball in the sixth with two on was one of the most frustrating things I’ve seen in a long time. The dude had been having trouble locating pitches. Make him throw you a strike (which he didn’t) unacceptable. I wonder if he takes it upon himself or if he’s getting it from the dugout. 

and yeah, Brinson has to go dude. Enough is enough...

Brinson has struck out once so far. Just once. He absolutely smoked a ball last night, just right at the center fielder. They're not giving him a shot against righties, either. If they truly want him to succeed, he has to face everyone.

But, eh. People gonna just give up on someone cause of 9 plate appearances with a much improved approach, all things considered.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm ok with Brinson staying up this entire season (or at least the majority of it) but this sure as hell feels like his last last chance. No more excuses after this year. 

I'm with ya on this.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm ok with Brinson staying up this entire season (or at least the majority of it) but this sure as hell feels like his last last chance. No more excuses after this year. 

Man, folks sure are harsh on a fella who has never given excuses and has also frequently owned up to under-performing. I'm just glad I ain't got no one like that watching me at my job. Jeez louise.

43 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Man, folks sure are harsh on a fella who has never given excuses and has also frequently owned up to under-performing. I'm just glad I ain't got no one like that watching me at my job. Jeez louise.

I love how Brinson has handled his struggles but this is the major leagues and when someone can't perform they get replaced and its been multiple seasons of Brinson falling short so his time is running out. I want him to succeed but repeated failure means someone takes your spot. 

I'm pretty sure your job isn't like that but MLB sure is.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Michael said:

Brinson has struck out once so far. Just once. He absolutely smoked a ball last night, just right at the center fielder. They're not giving him a shot against righties, either. If they truly want him to succeed, he has to face everyone.

But, eh. People gonna just give up on someone cause of 9 plate appearances with a much improved approach, all things considered.

It’s not the 9 plate appearances though. It’s the same long, exploitable swing we’ve been seeing for 2.5 years. The same clueless approach. Strikeouts don’t tell the story when you’re getting jammed on every inside fastball. and then You over-compensate by opening up early to get to that pitch just to tap a slider low and away to the shortstop.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt going into the season due to his comments on changing his approach and the results we saw in spring. But I’m seeing nothing but the same dude. Guzman guy lit up for an inning and they sent him to Jupiter. Do the same to Brinson 

15 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

It’s not the 9 plate appearances though. It’s the same long, exploitable swing we’ve been seeing for 2.5 years. The same clueless approach. Strikeouts don’t tell the story when you’re getting jammed on every inside fastball. and then You over-compensate by opening up early to get to that pitch just to tap a slider low and away to the shortstop.

Yeah, but that's not the case. Especially the clueless approach. You're seeing what you want to see. I'm seeing an 0-fer so far that has included much better plate appearances. He's not chasing like he was before. Granted I think if we saw him more against right handed pitchers, we'd know for sure, but as it is, I like what I've seen from him in a short sample.

Could be nothing. Could be something. We'll find out. But his approach is definitely improved.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Michael said:

Yeah, but that's not the case. Especially the clueless approach. You're seeing what you want to see. I'm seeing an 0-fer so far that has included much better plate appearances. He's not chasing like he was before. Granted I think if we saw him more against right handed pitchers, we'd know for sure, but as it is, I like what I've seen from him in a short sample.

Could be nothing. Could be something. We'll find out. But his approach is definitely improved.

Believe me, I hope that he puts it together and at this point becomes even half of what was expected of him. But I don't know dude...

Honestly, considering the lack of production from Joyce, might as well put Brinson in against the righties too and let him get some reps in so we can all know for sure if there's been any real progression.