Cord Cutting

CoastieMike

Has anybody "cut the cord"?

My ATT bill jumped 80$ due to a promotion that ended, and ATT isnt budging. 2 years ago I paid 120$ for internet/cable, and now they want $200 for the same exact service!

Im not that tech savvy to understand how much data my wife and i would use per month, but I do know ATT (only option available in my neighborhood) caps their internet only plans to 1 TB a month. It's a 2 person household, can we really hit 1 TB a month?

11 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Been using YouTube TV for around a year, had DirecTV Now and PS Vue before that. Don't regret switching.

I have unlimited internet so don't know how much we use but I wouldn't be surprised if a TB could be hit streaming. Videos use a lot of data.

Yeah in a previous state i lived, had the same deal, PSVue and no cap. Not the same in SoFla i guess.

Its infuriating that new customers get insane deals, but the ones who've had the service for years get the shit end of the deal. I guess the initial customer deal is to grab to keep you in and charge whatever they want in the later years.

• Banana 1

19 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Been using YouTube TV for around a year, had DirecTV Now and PS Vue before that. Don't regret switching.

I have unlimited internet so don't know how much we use but I wouldn't be surprised if a TB could be hit streaming. Videos use a lot of data.

does your bill show you how much data you use a month?

I cut ATT a year and a half ago for the same reason, my initial promotional deal was up and the price jump wasn't worth keeping considering how little actual TV my household watches. 

So I switched to YouTube TV and have been super satisfied even with their recent price increase it's still a way better deal for me for what I get and for how much I use it. I definitely recommend it. 

And yes it's weird that long time customers get shafted but I think they probably have more people than we think who just continue paying without realizing their promo is up and so those people help drive their business. You arrive with the intro deal and then it expires and it wouldn't shock me if people take months or even years to realize how much more they suddenly were paying.

32 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I cut ATT a year and a half ago for the same reason, my initial promotional deal was up and the price jump wasn't worth keeping considering how little actual TV my household watches. 

So I switched to YouTube TV and have been super satisfied even with their recent price increase it's still a way better deal for me for what I get and for how much I use it. I definitely recommend it. 

And yes it's weird that long time customers get shafted but I think they probably have more people than we think who just continue paying without realizing their promo is up and so those people help drive their business. You arrive with the intro deal and then it expires and it wouldn't shock me if people take months or even years to realize how much more they suddenly were paying.

do you by chance know how much data you use a month in the household?

7 hours ago, CoastieMike said:

do you by chance know how much data you use a month in the household?

I live in Las Vegas, so we have Cox over here. I have a 1TB plan, and I can say that with 4 people in our house we have used an average of 908GB for the past 3 months. I watch A LOT of YouTube videos, and my mother and grandmother watch a lot of Netflix.

I think you should be good for 2 people with 1TB.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had Att now for several years. When it started I was paying something like 15 dollars a month for the basic plan that had access to local sports because I also was a. Unlimited data phone customer and got a steep discount. Over time I’m now paying 50 bucks for the same service. Not really a fan of it but I would still be paying more elsewhere.

we have a 1TB plan as well  with just my wife and myself in the house and have never come close to hitting the 1TB cap.  We considered cutting the cord but with the things we do watch, it would not have been cost effective so we just pared back and dropped the premium movie channels and pay $140 a month for 1gbps speeds and most cable channels outside of the premium movie ones. 

Word of advice for people looking at cutting the cord - take a gander at your bill and see if you're being hit with modem lease fees and DVR fees - we save a shit ton a month because we own that equipment so we don't have to lease it. Literally around $50 a month saved. 

11 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

ATT Now could be the worst. 

I went in to an ATT Store recently just to get a charger and they tried to quickly sell me on ATT Now and I shot them down in one of those ways where it was clear that I wasn't interested and I wasn't gonna even listen to their pitch but then the lady just goes "May I ask what service your using now?" and I said YouTubeTV and she kinda shrugged and nodded and gave me a look that I read as "Yeah well you're better off with that." Obviously she didn't say that but it was like she knew she wasn't gonna win this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I went in to an ATT Store recently just to get a charger and they tried to quickly sell me on ATT Now and I shot them down in one of those ways where it was clear that I wasn't interested and I wasn't gonna even listen to their pitch but then the lady just goes "May I ask what service your using now?" and I said YouTubeTV and she kinda shrugged and nodded and gave me a look that I read as "Yeah well you're better off with that." Obviously she didn't say that but it was like she knew she wasn't gonna win this one.

As someone who has worked in sales before. I know she was crossing her fingers waiting for you to say Xfinity or any other major company, she had her list of rebuttals ready to go and was about to give you the most compelling reasoning of why switching to her service would be the best decision you ever made. Then you were like YouTubeTV. She was thinking “Ugh, third time this week, fml”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

As someone who has worked in sales before. I know she was crossing her fingers waiting for you to say Xfinity or any other major company, she had her list of rebuttals ready to go and was about to give you the most compelling reasoning of why switching to her service would be the best decision you ever made. Then you were like YouTubeTV. She was thinking “Ugh, third time this week, fml”

I swear you just summed up her exact reaction right here.