Cord Cutting

CoastieMike

On 9/3/2020 at 3:12 PM, Das Texan said:

ironically both owned by the same moronic company

I dropped DirecTV immediately after they literally lied about being given MLB Extra Innings for free as part of re-upping my contract another two years.  I took the reference number down, noted the person I spoke with, date, time, etc. I even called back later that date to confirm it was in their system and it was.  Fast forward to year #2 and they charge me for it. I call, they say "sorry, that exceeds the allowable number of credits we can offer" and wouldn't honor it.  I provided the reference number, etc. they literally read the comments and confirmed that yes, I was promised both seasons free but they still couldn't do it because it violated their credit policy.  Speaking with a manager didn't get me anywhere either.  I posted it on social media and got a call immediately from someone from their "social media outreach team" and they too confirmed that even though I was promised to get it for free they still couldn't honor it.  When I asked if i could then end my contract since they violated the terms I was given they said no to that too unless I paid some fee around $400. 

Yeah, just went with TiVO equipment and Cox after that fiasco.  Never ever go back to them again.

Edited by hovertical

I had Brighthouse for phone/cable/internet, after company changes so I'm still left with the shitty Spectrum for internet but got Hulu live with it I get Fox Sports Florida and Fox Sports Sun so I get Marlins, Rays, Lightning and Magic, every now and then a Heat game, pretty sure this is because I live in central FL, but also includes multiple ESPN feeds FS1 and NBC sports along with the major networks so there are few sporting events I miss, my bill went down drastically 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, CoastieMike said:

Does Sinclair already have contracts with bigger guys like ATT Comcast etc

Doesn't seem like it.

I know their Stadium channel seems to only be online.  They do own some TV stations locally (like the CW in west palm), but not consistently enough to provide coverage for everyone.

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

until hulu’s contract is up with Sinclair anyway.  Nobody has negotiated a deal with Sinclair as far as I know. Not sure what their business plan is. 

This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Just now, Das Texan said:

Sinclair is the fucking devil.

So fucking excited the devil owns the majority of RSNs. 

Their business model is to burn and lay the competitors in their wake while they cut costs and make billions of dollars pushing forth their insane agenda. 

They probably have some sinister plan.

This is me doing a lot of reading between the lines here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the political leanings of Sinclair (far right) are a big turn off for the Marlins leadership group. I don't think Jeter is a fundraiser for the Democrats or anything, but he did have a cameo in a movie that was very anti-corporate America (The Other Guys) and the team was one of (if not THE) first team to drop Papa Johns back when they had that whole n-word problem. They've been very active in the Black Lives Matter movement, and in general, I just get a vibe they aren't eye-to-eye with Sinclair.

I'm still hoping for something really creative, like YouTube or Amazon Prime. 

10 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

DirecTVNow was awesome when they first started all of the sudden they increased their pricing became ATTTVNow less channels. I haven't sub to any TV provider since . bought an antenna and  I get mlbtv for free 

You have an indoor or outdoor antenna? I’ve been thinking of buying one of the amplified indoor ones. Some have good reviews but I am still skeptical they’d work well. 

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

You have an indoor or outdoor antenna? I’ve been thinking of buying one of the amplified indoor ones. Some have good reviews but I am still skeptical they’d work well. 

Indoor I could get both VHF n UHF bands.

Check how far you're from the TV Stations here: antennaweb.org

This antenna on the video is similar to mine .Mine only has one loop

• Like 1

I recently dropped YouTube TV after about 3 years when they raised their price to 65. I originally paid 29.99 or 34.99 (I forget).

Since then, I've cut cable completely and have gotten used to going without the stuff I watched. Most of my shows are ending soon, or have recently ended, so this was the perfect opportunity.

With that said, watching baseball is a pain and I've been living off free trials of other OTA providers for the last few months. I can say unequivocally, without a shadow of a doubt, that Sling TV and Hulu don't hold a candle to YTTV. I'm currently on a FuboTV trial and it seems to be of higher quality, but still not as good as YTTV, which pretty much never had an issue. Each of these trials (3 days to a week each), I've had multiple connectivity and channel availability issues.

Just stop watching TV.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 8:32 PM, el_gmac said:

DirecTVNow was awesome when they first started all of the sudden they increased their pricing became ATTTVNow less channels. I haven't sub to any TV provider since . bought an antenna and  I get mlbtv for free 

How do you get MLBTV for free?

I've bounced between YouTube TV, Sling, and Hulu. It all depends on your situation. Hulu is probably the best bang for your buck. You have access to the Hulu library and a strong sports package with the option to add more. However, there's lots of ads ($5 or $6 w/out ads) and an additional cost for an unlimited amount of screens.

Sling is the cheapest option out there. Unfortunately, no local channels. Still a solid option, especially if you're on a budget.

I personally prefer YouTube TV, but I wasn't happy with the price hikes and the loss of the local Fox Sports channels. It's also great if you have a large family. You can have up to 6 users for the price of $65. However, unlimited devices/screens at a given time was what sealed it for me.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:49 PM, hovertical said:

I still don't understand how in the hell it's cheaper to cut the cord overall as long as you're still subscribing to one of those services, Hulu, Youtube, etc. 

Well ATT was about to charge me $210 per month with fees (RSN fees, local fees, this fee, that fee, etc) for cable/internet.  Add standalone such as netflix, hulu, disney plus (my wife "HAS" to have it) and im looking at around 240ish.

Called ATT, got unlimited internet data 1000 mbps for 59.99 straight, no extra fees. Did the YTTV for a while for the 70 whatever it was with fees. Ended up with the Hulu bundle (live tv, hulu, disney, espn) for 70ish after taxes and netflix.

Saving almost 100 extra a month cutting the "cord"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoastieMike said:

Well ATT was about to charge me $210 per month with fees (RSN fees, local fees, this fee, that fee, etc) for cable/internet.  Add standalone such as netflix, hulu, disney plus (my wife "HAS" to have it) and im looking at around 240ish.

Called ATT, got unlimited internet data 1000 mbps for 59.99 straight, no extra fees. Did the YTTV for a while for the 70 whatever it was with fees. Ended up with the Hulu bundle (live tv, hulu, disney, espn) for 70ish after taxes and netflix.

I may end up going this route myself. Spectrum up in Northern Orlando, internet and cable bundle currently running $240 a month as well.

17 minutes ago, CoastieMike said:

Yea this is why I cut the cord too. There's enough to watch (too much really) with all those streaming services and combined they don't reach what I was paying in cable. Eventually it starts to add up and rise but I'm still paying less and can use the savings towards whatever else needs to be paid.