2020/21 off-season

I think it was either @SilverBullet or @Michael who I was talking with about Lewin needing to bring his hands up higher and it looks like he has during winter ball. And apparently he’s been doing pretty well!

compare the above setup before the pitch to this during the regular season:

E6210632-2376-4E22-9FD9-97CE5E151009.jpeg

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I think it was either @SilverBullet or @Michael who I was talking with about Lewin needing to bring his hands up higher and it looks like he has during winter ball. And apparently he’s been doing pretty well!

May have been to both of us and it looks like you were correct. I absolutely hope you continue to be correct! And I wonder if a similar change could help Monte.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Michael said:

May have been to both of us and it looks like you were correct. I absolutely hope you continue to be correct! And I wonder if a similar change could help Monte.

Yeah there’s been a movement among hitting coaches the past few years to keep the hitters trunk Straight (that’s their torso not their ass lol) in order to Increase the angle of approach which did theoretically work in a time when “pitch low and on the corners” was the mantra. But there’s been a huge movement toward pitching up in the zone to change eye levels so basically swinging “up” at a high pitch is either gonna result in a swing and miss or a mile high pop up in the infield: which happened a lot with Lewin. 

Monte worries me though cause I don’t see a glaring issue in the swing/stance like I do/did with guys like Lewin and Brinson. He just has a really bad approach at the plate and struggles with pitch recognition (like Brinson, he swings at curves two feet in front of home but let’s the 3rd strike fastball go right down the middle). That could either be easy to fix with some good coaching and repetition, or borderline impossible. Let’s hope it’s the former! 🤞🏻

1 hour ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Monte worries me though cause I don’t see a glaring issue in the swing/stance like I do/did with guys like Lewin and Brinson. He just has a really bad approach at the plate and struggles with pitch recognition (like Brinson, he swings at curves two feet in front of home but let’s the 3rd strike fastball go right down the middle).

I could have sworn Monte looked fairly disciplined in a lot of his at bats, just couldn't catch up to fastballs or was thinking too much at the plate.

Either way hopefully a good number of AAA at-bats in '21 will help him fix that.

30 minutes ago, Michael said:

I could have sworn Monte looked fairly disciplined in a lot of his at bats, just couldn't catch up to fastballs or was thinking too much at the plate.

Either way hopefully a good number of AAA at-bats in '21 will help him fix that.

Yeah that "thinking" he's doing is the problem lol he isn't capable of just recognising the pitch out of the pitcher's hand so he needs to think/guess at what is coming. There was also that obvious teamwide decision to try to take everything to right field which may be contributing to him being late on the inside fastballs.

Either way I'd put my money on that he'll be fine long term. He was up too early last season, didn't really have the typical preparation and repetition, and if I'm not mistaken missed a good chuck of the end of 2019 with the wrist inury so he's been out of whack. Good news is the mechanics and bat speed are there so I have faith in him.

14 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Yeah that "thinking" he's doing is the problem lol he isn't capable of just recognising the pitch out of the pitcher's hand so he needs to think/guess at what is coming. There was also that obvious teamwide decision to try to take everything to right field which may be contributing to him being late on the inside fastballs.

Either way I'd put my money on that he'll be fine long term. He was up too early last season, didn't really have the typical preparation and repetition, and if I'm not mistaken missed a good chuck of the end of 2019 with the wrist inury so he's been out of whack. Good news is the mechanics and bat speed are there so I have faith in him.

Yep - so hopefully that all gets straightened out.

Why would they want him to go oppo? He's got so much power, just let the man eat.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Yep - so hopefully that all gets straightened out.

Why would they want him to go oppo? He's got so much power, just let the man eat.

I agree, he’s the kind of dude you take a .300-.320 OBP from if he’s slugging .500+....I say go up there sitting on your pitch and hit it when it comes. If it doesn’t that’s fine, get’m next time.