Is it a no-brainer to retain Aguilar because he's still under control ?

Is it afforded to this team to develop many position players (Lewin, Isan, Jazz, Monte and Jesus) in the majors at the same time if we're in the win-now mode for the next season ?

Should this team goes all in to contend and to trade for one or two controllable big bat (the FA class is not good ) ?

Alfaro seems not a long term solution behind the plate, so is it not just a dream to sign back JT ?

This team is not two elite SP away from contend in the era of Stanton but maybe is two elite hitter away from contend in the era of Sixto. 

Edited by taiwanmarlin
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, AeroFishOne said:

Does anybody really think that JT would really be willing to come back barring a big over payment? I can’t remember how vocal. he was about all that went down.

He should like our pitching staff now. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Despite how it ended Realmuto is not a bad guy and he would probably be able to swallow his old words and return here but we would have to pay him huge and tbh I just dont see it happening at all.

It's up to our spending plan.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Despite how it ended Realmuto is not a bad guy and he would probably be able to swallow his old words and return here but we would have to pay him huge and tbh I just dont see it happening at all.

I honestly thought JT was the consummate professional through the whole rebuild. I think there's a good reason he was the last traded.

The bigger issue is that there's a reason he hasn't re-signed with the Phillies yet: He wants to break the bank. He's been very vocal in the past about setting new precedents for catchers in arbitration. I think he sees his FA contract as not just a chance to cash in (which he certainly will either way), but as a chance to help future catchers who are a historically underpaid position.

I think he'd be more than willing to sign with Miami, but I'm not sure how deep the coffers go for the FO. I think they're still paying like $19M in deferrals from the psychotic Chen contract in 2021.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I honestly thought JT was the consummate professional through the whole rebuild. I think there's a good reason he was the last traded.

The bigger issue is that there's a reason he hasn't re-signed with the Phillies yet: He wants to break the bank. He's been very vocal in the past about setting new precedents for catchers in arbitration. I think he sees his FA contract as not just a chance to cash in (which he certainly will either way), but as a chance to help future catchers who are a historically underpaid position.

I think he'd be more than willing to sign with Miami, but I'm not sure how deep the coffers go for the FO. I think they're still paying like $19M in deferrals from the psychotic Chen contract in 2021.

Chen deal ends this year.

• Like 2

We should go after a prominent closer to solidify the pen.

A catcher that can hit would really make a difference.  If we only had a Pudge type of player, a leader, someone who can rally the troops and clutch like he did. 

One or two of these LHB have to develop fast and flourish.  

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I agree with this, but with the caveat that we wouldn't have seen nearly this much struggle with them this year if we had a normal season with full minor leagues going.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Decline maybe, but his experience alone would be worth it. He is natural hitter so wouldn't really be an issue. Injuries is the only real potential problem.

The plan moving forward "should be" to be consistently contending. Not sure there's room for an injured and declining hitter who's mostly here for experience. That's what we had with Martin Prado the last few seasons. We need to get past that.

• Like 3
Just now, Michael said:

I agree with this, but with the caveat that we wouldn't have seen nearly this much struggle with them this year if we had a normal season with full minor leagues going.

Exactly, we as fans might have to wait another season or two before all of the pieces come together.  The shortened season really hurt extra development they would have had.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Exactly, we as fans might have to wait another season or two before all of the pieces come together.  The shortened season really hurt extra development they would have had.  

Yep - I think honestly with a month in AAA next year for each of em, they'll be fine. Work on the flaws that were found and bring em back up, if performance warrants.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The plan moving forward "should be" to be consistently contending. Not sure there's room for an injured and declining hitter who's mostly here for experience. That's what we had with Martin Prado the last few seasons. We need to get past that.

Pudge was on the delcine, he was a one year rental. Perez would be more than that. 

Perez on this team right now, the difference would be night and day. Prado is not a good example, the position in itself is not comparable and his production wouldn't even come close to Perez then or at anytime.  Experience with the group that we have now is extremely important and productive. 

Just now, jeffreysfishfry said:

Pudge was on the delcine, he was a one year rental. Perez would be more than that. 

Perez on this team right now, the difference would be night and day. Prado is not a good example, the position in itself is not comparable and his production wouldn't even come close to Perez then or at anytime.  Experience with the group that we have now is extremely important and productive. 

I'll admit I haven't looked at Perez's numbers to know for sure but if you're telling me he's more Pudge '03 than Prado '19 I'll take that. I'm just saying we need "productive" experience not "waste of a roster spot" experience. Then again, you're talking about for 2022, not 2020, which is why I worry about a more drastic decline by then.

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I'll admit I haven't looked at Perez's numbers to know for sure but if you're telling me he's more Pudge '03 than Prado '19 I'll take that. I'm just saying we need "productive" experience not "waste of a roster spot" experience. Then again, you're talking about for 2022, not 2020, which is why I worry about a more drastic decline by then.

He will be cheaper, lightning in a bottle is all in 2022

I’d like to see us bolster the bullpen with a guy like Liam Hendricks. The brand of this team right now is pitching and defense, and we should double down on that with strong 8th & 9th inning options. 

As far as Alfaro/C, I don’t see the need for paying a premium for a guy like JT. I’d rather go get a cheaper veteran who knows how to call a game and is reliable defensively. Cervelli was a perfect addition this off-season. 

I can live with Alfaro’s deficiencies defensively and managing a staff when he’s producing above avg offensively. The combination of poor defense and bad AB’s isn’t going to cut it. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I looked and his BA has dropped significantly. His HRs have gone up though, hitting 27 HRs in '19 & '20.

I still think he would be a great addition, but I see your point. 

1 hour ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

We should go after a prominent closer to solidify the pen.

A catcher that can hit would really make a difference.  If we only had a Pudge type of player, a leader, someone who can rally the troops and clutch like he did. 

I think every team would like a Pudge-type player.

12 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

I’d like to see us bolster the bullpen with a guy like Liam Hendricks. The brand of this team right now is pitching and defense, and we should double down on that with strong 8th & 9th inning options. 

As far as Alfaro/C, I don’t see the need for paying a premium for a guy like JT. I’d rather go get a cheaper veteran who knows how to call a game and is reliable defensively. Cervelli was a perfect addition this off-season. 

I can live with Alfaro’s deficiencies defensively and managing a staff when he’s producing above avg offensively. The combination of poor defense and bad AB’s isn’t going to cut it. 

I really like Alfaro, but damn, all the K's....

14 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

This is spot on. 

• Like 1

6 All-Star Games
Awards
2015 WS MVP
MVP (rank, share)
2013 AL (22, 0%)
0.00 Career Shares (1843rd)
5 Gold Gloves
2 Silver Sluggers
Defensive WAR
Active  13.2 (10th)