18 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Is it a no-brainer to retain Aguilar because he's still under control ?

Is it afforded to this team to develop many position players (Lewin, Isan, Jazz, Monte and Jesus) in the majors at the same time if we're in the win-now mode for the next season ?

Should this team goes all in to contend and to trade for one or two controllable big bat (the FA class is not good ) ?

Alfaro seems not a long term solution behind the plate, so is it not just a dream to sign back JT ?

This team is not two elite SP away from contend in the era of Stanton but maybe is two elite hitter away from contend in the era of Sixto. 

I think Marlins need to get a solid bullpen piece and get one more hitter to go along with Marte. Maybe trade Urena and some other minor pieces for a decent bat like possibly Miguel Andujar who is controllable through 2024 or Ketel Marte who I believe is a Free Agent around the same time. I know Andujar plays 3B, maybe he could DH or move Anderson to RF since I’m not too impressed with our OF prospects. Marte I think is a good choice cause he can play multiple positions. Someone suggested Liam Hendricks as a bullpen piece; I think that would be a great acquisition. But Marlins need to keep Sixto, Andy, Pablo, untouchables imo. I would definitely retain Aguilar though for sure I like him a lot. 

Edited by Italian Marlins Fan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

“... I know Andujar plays 3B, maybe he could DH or move Anderson to RF since I’m not too impressed with our OF prospects...”

Interesting thought. Do you think that we will still have the DH position next year? I’m actually enjoying in this year, I mean it feels so weird to see a DH in the NL lineups but still it’s a fun thing to watch. I wonder if they will decide to try another season with it or not.

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Interesting thought. Do you think that we will still have the DH position next year? I’m actually enjoying in this year, I mean it feels so weird to see a DH in the NL lineups but still it’s a fun thing to watch. I wonder if they will decide to try another season with it or not.

i think the addition of the NL DH for "this year" was more like a wink wink nudge nudge "this year" type of deal and that's how it'll be going forward.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

I’m all for the DH in the NL. It honestly feels “normal” at this point. 

As far as another bat, I think Joc Pederson makes a lot of sense 

Lefty power bat to split up the Marte, Aguilar, Cooper, Anderson core. Can play RF, and hit enough to DH if/when Monte/Jesus Sanchez is ready. 

• Like 2

First, I get that we want to talk about potential offseason moves, but I feel we should've held off on this thread since we're still in it - it's been nice watching actual meaningful games this season, and this thread makes me feel like we're throwing in the towl.....

Anyway, that said, here are my comments on these posts....

9 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

The plan moving forward "should be" to be consistently contending. Not sure there's room for an injured and declining hitter who's mostly here for experience. That's what we had with Martin Prado the last few seasons. We need to get past that.

Yeah, a signing like that at that stage in the career is more like a finishing piece, and not a building block that the poster was trying to make it be.

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

i think the addition of the NL DH for "this year" was more like a wink wink nudge nudge "this year" type of deal and that's how it'll be going forward.

I agree.  I think it's here to stay.

And if they do revert to traditional rules next year, I 100% guarantee the DH will be in the NL as part of the next CBA.  Very easy bone for the league to throw to the union, especially with how contentious those negotiations are sure to be.

Frankly, I've liked having the DH, and have thought it's time for it to happen anyway for a few reasons.  I do enjoy seeing a pitcher get the occasional big hit or seldom HR, but

1) the essentially automatic out is annoying

2) with pitcher contracts growing higher and higher (or honestly even for young controlled guys), we don't need them getting hurt batting/running the bases

3) having the DH allows a manager to rotate guys in and out while still having their bat in the lineup

4) having the DH allows NL teams to more evenly compete with the AL for signing guys as they can slot guys there as they age (this can go both ways, though, as an NL team sans DH may avoid offering an albatross contract in the first place)

5) I get the whole "strategy" argument, but it's nice not having to pull a pitcher that's cruising because you get a chance to score and need to pinch hit for him to do so.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Decline maybe, but his experience alone would be worth it. He is natural hitter so wouldn't really be an issue. Injuries is the only real potential problem.

not really sure sal has any intention of leaving Kansas City though tbh.

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, a signing like that at that stage in the career is more like a finishing piece, and not a building block that the poster was trying to make it be.

Never said Perez was a building block, that's why I mentioned Pudge who was a "finishing piece" in 2003. 

Pudge played 12 seasons before his 13th season as a Marlin. 

Perez will be a FA after full 10 seasons. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Never said Perez was a building block, that's why I mentioned Pudge who was a "finishing piece" in 2003. 

Pudge played 12 seasons before his 13th season as a Marlin. 

Perez will be a FA after full 10 seasons. 

Guess I interpreted "a catcher that can hit" as in the every day guy and then extrapolated that to multiple years.  Nevermind, carry on haha.

12 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

If somebody with the Twitters could ping Mish or Frisaro, I'd like to know the answer to this. Because I'm like $1000% sure there's multiple millions of deferred dollars due to Chen in 2021. I could be mistaken. But I'm not.

Per Cot's contracts, unfortunately you would appear to be correct.

• Chen to receive deferred payments of $3M on 11/30/16, $4.5M on 11/30/17, $2M on 11/30/18, $6M on 6/30/19, $4M on 11/30/19, $9M on 6/30/20, $5M on 11/30/20, $15M on 6/30/21, $1M on 11/30/21, $15M on 6/30/22

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-west/seattle-mariners/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If they permanently decide to roll with the DH in the NL getting a catcher who works very well with a pitching staff and plays outstanding defense but is a bit light with the bat isn't as bad as it once was as you'll at least be able to put another real bat in the lineup versus having a pitcher batting (although i'd prefer to have someone who isn't a K machine like Alfaro and can at least put the ball in play).  It would be amazing to get JT back in the fold as I think that would really solidify that lineup assuming they bring back Aguilar as well.  But yeah, I don't see them dumping that much $$$ into a FA just yet.  It's really a shame that the prospect bats they've brought up have been a dumpster fire.  Sure, there's the "more seasoning needed" argument but by and large they have looked utterly clueless out there. 

Bringing JT back would also be like kicking the Phillies in the nuts after getting Sixto while we were in full rebuild mode.  Almost like , "here, you can borrow him for a couple seasons but we'd like him back now. kthxbai"

they really do need a legit masher in the heart of the lineup too. for all the jokes we make about HRs being rally killers....having a guy who can hit 35 or so hr in a season would be a nice perk (just not Gallo please).  That will likely have to be hitting on one of these high ceiling prospects though versus through FA.  I like Berti a lot too.  Seems like he has some real solid baseball IQ and is just one of those types of dudes who you see on contending teams - kinda like what Miggy-Ro used to be before becoming and everyday guy. 

So yeah, dream offseason?  JT comes back, pick up a couple proven bp arms and maybe a good #4/5 starter just for some more depth. More likely is they just pick up a couple bp arms and some guys trying to make ccomebacks after poor/injured years to flip at the deadline (always a smart idea). 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, hovertical said:

Sure, there's the "more seasoning needed" argument but by and large they have looked utterly clueless out there. 

I'm only going to keep saying this:

Besides Luis Robert, find me a top prospect bat who has debuted this year and done well.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Michael said:

I'm only going to keep saying this:

Besides Luis Robert, find me a top prospect bat who has debuted this year and done well.

Great point. Even the premium level prospects like Lux & Adell have struggled in their debuts 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Alec Bohm?

That one's fair, yes. I'll credit that one.

The vast majority so far of debuting position player prospects this year have been pretty bad, though.

14 minutes ago, Michael said:

That one's fair, yes. I'll credit that one.

The vast majority so far of debuting position player prospects this year have been pretty bad, though.

Well, you did challenge me to name only one = )

4 hours ago, hovertical said:

So yeah, dream offseason?  JT comes back, pick up a couple proven bp arms and maybe a good #4/5 starter just for some more depth. More likely is they just pick up a couple bp arms and some guys trying to make ccomebacks after poor/injured years to flip at the deadline (always a smart idea). 

#CheapJeter is going to read this and reacquire JT Riddle now isn't he?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Michael said:

San Diego doesn't count, they're all roiding and breaking unwritten rules.

Who cares about roids? They are breaking unwritten rules! How can anyone play them when they might feel uncomfortable pitching to them with a 3-0 count?

9 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Who cares about roids? They are breaking unwritten rules! How can anyone play them when they might feel uncomfortable pitching to them with a 3-0 count?

Do you think like there would have been the same backlash from Texas if it had been Manny Machado who hit the 3-0 pitch grand slam. That was the first thing I thought when I saw the Ranger's manager get all pissy in the dugout after the HR. Maybe it's because Manny has a DGAF look on his face naturally it would have been a different reaction. I'm not sure.

Edited by SirFishFan