2020/21 off-season

This is JT here, not Mike Piazza.  Why does it sound like JT is the version of Mike Trout as a catcher?  Yeah, the position is one of importance, I get it, but it's not worth the risk.

Here is why you don't pay JT,  

Buster Posey, and Joe Mauer, who both had better stats than JT, ended up breaking down. Mauer in his 10th season, and Posey in his 9th. 

JT will be heading into his 8th year after season. It's a recipe for disaster. Maybe it works out but even if he stays relatively healthy, his numbers don't warrant want he is asking for.  

• Like 1

Just now, jeffreysfishfry said:

This is JT here, not Mike Piazza.  Why does it sound like JT is the version of Mike Trout as a catcher?  Yeah, the position is one of importance, I get it, but it's not worth the risk.

Here is why you don't pay JT,  

Buster Posey, and Joe Mauer, who both had better stats than JT, ended up breaking down. Mauer in his 10th season, and Posey in his 9th. 

JT will be heading into his 8th year after season. It's a recipe for disaster. Maybe it works out but even if he stays relatively healthy, his numbers don't warrant want he is asking for.  

Very correct.

I think it's also very interesting to hear that apparently the extension the Phillies offered came in below the Marlins offer. Folks were criticizing the Marlins for their offer, but clearly teams are risk averse when it comes to catchers.

But again, it's only going to take one team. They don't know if their offer is $1 or $100M more than the next closest. And some owner out there is going to be just sick enough of their current catcher to bite the bullet and make a bad deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Very correct.

I think it's also very interesting to hear that apparently the extension the Phillies offered came in below the Marlins offer. Folks were criticizing the Marlins for their offer, but clearly teams are risk averse when it comes to catchers.

But again, it's only going to take one team. They don't know if their offer is $1 or $100M more than the next closest. And some owner out there is going to be just sick enough of their current catcher to bite the bullet and make a bad deal.

And JT knows this, that's why his price tag is so high, he has all the leverage. JT is only worth what someone will pay and that is the mirage in all of it because he's not even in the same class, to me as Mauer or Posey. 

1 hour ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Very correct.

Arte Moreno likes throwing money around, he'd be at the top of my list to call if I were JT's agent.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

So what's the fair contract to JT ?

I guess, as others have said, the most fair contract for JT is the max any team is willing to pay him.

JT is in a very good position, just based on basic economics and supply/demand, he knows that there are very few(less than 5) catchers in all of the MLB who can perform at the same level as him, and out of all those catchers, how many will be available as a free agent next year?

So all it will take is just one or two owners who believe that JT is the “one missing piece” that their team needs to make it to the post season/World Series win, and JT will basically have the biggest size contract his agent can get.

And well, good for him. He probably knows in reality he has maybe 5-6 good years left in his career, might as well get paid and have a good retirement set up for himself.

Don’t get me wrong, I would definitely love JT to return, just as much as anyone else. I’m just not holding my breath for that one, if he signs with the Fish, great! if not, then I would like to see the Marlins spend some of the money they would save on JT on perhaps another catcher who is a bit of an upgrade on Alfaro, plus some high level relief pitchers.

But definitely will be an interesting offseason for JT for sure!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I also think teams are going to be very hesitant to dole out large contacts in the shadow of how this last year played out in terms of both real and potential lost revenue

I agree with this.

It's also why I see a strike as more possible - teams were already getting hesitant to hand out huge contracts (unless you're a guy like Trout), that's only going to increase now, IMO.

16 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

You guys keep saying that JT will get a larger contract but I don't see it. I'm pretty sure all contracts are printed on the same 8.5 x 11 papers. There's no need for teams to print them out any larger, that would be a waste of both paper and ink as well.

11 x 17 is better for contracts, really.

29 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

You guys keep saying that JT will get a larger contract but I don't see it. I'm pretty sure all contracts are printed on the same 8.5 x 11 papers. There's no need for teams to print them out any larger, that would be a waste of both paper and ink as well.

What if they use legal size?

8.5 x 14

---

Or what if JT wants a contract supersized like those giant checks?

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I agree with this.

It's also why I see a strike as more possible - teams were already getting hesitant to hand out huge contracts (unless you're a guy like Trout), that's only going to increase now, IMO.

It'll be fascinating to see what Boras is going to ask for his clients. As you said, the days of the enormous market breaking contracts seemed to have been largely on the wane BEFORE covid hit...and now? 

I too see a nasty, NASTY strike and lockout looming.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I say print it on an 8.5' x 11' sheet. Really try to impress the guy with the huge contract.

2 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

I say print it on an 8.5' x 11' sheet. Really try to impress the guy with the huge contract.

Good point.

Always make yours look bigger by putting it by something relatively small, like one of those mini bananas. 

Also, a tree looks taller when the grass is lower so make sure to mow the lawn. 

It's all about perspective. 

• Like 1