On 9/17/2020 at 9:28 AM, rmc523 said:

Hadn't really thought about it, to be honest.

BUT, I'll say that the relative success of this shorter season does give traction to those shorter season proposals we've heard about the last few years.

relative success as in?

*not trying to be rude, just curious as to what defines this short season as a success for MLB overall?

34 minutes ago, hovertical said:

relative success as in?

*not trying to be rude, just curious as to what defines this short season as a success for MLB overall?

Excitement "per game"... more teams in the playoff hunt... every game feels critical. It's gotten me watching almost every game start to finish whenever I can. I'd imagine that has led to an increase in viewership (though of course not being able to go to the ballparks also forces people to watch on TV). But there's no urgency to A LOT of baseball games between April and September and I'm sure there a tons of games fans just ignore during those months. Almost every game is a must watch with a shorter season.

38 minutes ago, hovertical said:

relative success as in?

In the sense that the sky isn't falling because there's less than 162 games - sure people want more, and I realize this is a special circumstance, but it shows that they could do fewer games without it being the end of the world.

Also games mean more so there's more reason to pay attention to each one - and that's not to say I want less baseball, but I understand the reality of a 6 month long season can cause a waning interest over the course of a season.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1
Just now, rmc523 said:

In the sense that the sky isn't falling because there's less than 162 games - sure people want more, and I realize this is a special circumstance, but it shows that they could do fewer games without it being the end of the world.

but what I was trying to say is that are there any actual measurable statistics that show this is a success outside of how we feel about watching the games?  There's going to be significantly more viewership but obviously that's due to other circumstances.  There's nothing that can really be measured in terms of positive financial impact in relation to once the world returns to normal?

21 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Only thing is, owners won't want to give up revenue from the additional 42 in season games, and they won't want to pay players for fewer games.

Well, that's where revenue sharing comes in. Hopefully shorter season = higher average ratings and ticket sales per game. And much more playoff-related revenue. And if it's shared around the league, perhaps it nets out positively. I mean, I have no idea how the numbers would/could actually look. But they didn't choose 162 games from some decision they made with the support of business consultants. It's just a relic from, what, 50 years ago or so?

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

but what I was trying to say is that are there any actual measurable statistics that show this is a success outside of how we feel about watching the games?  There's going to be significantly more viewership but obviously that's due to other circumstances.  There's nothing that can really be measured in terms of positive financial impact in relation to once the world returns to normal?

I think you're thinking about it way too much.

My thought was much more simple - that a slightly shorter season won't be the end of the world that it's been deemed in the past.

1 hour ago, mystikol87 said:

Well, that's where revenue sharing comes in. Hopefully shorter season = higher average ratings and ticket sales per game. And much more playoff-related revenue. And if it's shared around the league, perhaps it nets out positively. I mean, I have no idea how the numbers would/could actually look. But they didn't choose 162 games from some decision they made with the support of business consultants. It's just a relic from, what, 50 years ago or so?

Yup, those are certainly good points/counter points.

• Like 1
On 9/16/2020 at 9:45 AM, Italian Marlins Fan said:

well, expanded postseason is likely to stay. This is huge for teams like the Marlins who constantly struggle to make the postseason.

I for one am not excited for expanded playoffs to stay. In the past we got excited for the final playoff team who had to overcome odds and get hot in September to make the playoffs. I don't look forward to the inevitable sub .500 team who loses more games in September then they win and just sort of falls into the play offs. It's certainly not as compelling, but it may appeal to the non baseball fans who don't have the patience to actually follow the season from start to finish, so Manfred will probably go for it.

Edited by FishFan95
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

Why is everyone always trying to attract casual/non fans? If you're over 16 and you don't care about baseball you never will.

I remember I started to watch the professional baseball game at the age of 17, because my classmate was a baseball fan. 

2 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I remember I started to watch the professional baseball game at the age of 17, because my classmate was a baseball fan. 

And now you are one of the top Marlins fans in the world!

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

One of 16!

Until the Marlins make the playoffs, then  everyone and their grandma appears out of nowhere and then suddenly the Marlins have 75,891 new fans who you know haven’t watched a Marlins game since opening day of 2012.. But they be acting like they are the no. 1 fans. 😂

• Like 2
10 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Yeah I don't doubt that international fans are late bloomers, but in America if you didnt at least play little league baseball you'll probably never be a fan. It's just how it is.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

Yeah I don't doubt that international fans are late bloomers, but in America if you didnt at least play little league baseball you'll probably never be a fan. It's just how it is.

Maybe nowadays, sure.

My dad didn't start watching til his 50's. And only because I started showing interest (at age 12).

That was 17 years ago. Weeee.

• Like 1

I hope this team would keep this bullpen intact for at least next season and I believe they would try to do it. This pen contributes to the team very big with the consistent performance from Smith, Vincent, Bleier, Hoyt, Boxberger, Garcia and Kintzler. I know the relief pitcher would be the most unpredictable position in the baseball so I hope this team would keep this bullpen intact for at least one more season. 

• Like 1
On 9/19/2020 at 12:52 AM, EricOwens! said:

Why is everyone always trying to attract casual/non fans? If you're over 16 and you don't care about baseball you never will.

Because it's still a business and no smart business ever stops trying to increase their business. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Because it's still a business and no smart business ever stops trying to increase their business. 

and casual fans that have a great time and see a fantastic product will tell their shitty casual fan friends and make going to the park an 'event' - something that does VERY well in Miami if it's a place to 'be seen'

• Like 1

I like the expanded playoff idea but I wouldn’t mind if they tweak it a little. For example. 6 teams in per league, bye for top 2 seeds in each first round before division series, best of five game series first round before five game division series. Or top seven teams in each league, top team in each league gets bye, 3 other five game series in each league to determine who plays in division series. I just think most people right now don’t think there is enough incentive to win as format currently stands. But if it’s six or seven playoff teams per league, I think that is better.