2020/21 off-season

With the Mets involved, Hand's price could still be relatively high. He should continue to be good, but you also can't risk too many dollars on a closer if you're the fish. Think back to Heath Bell. 

Only time it may make sense to take a big chance like that is if a closer was the final missing piece.  And then even still, I don't think big multiyear deals with closers or relievers in general are good ideas normally. 

The fish also need more than a closer and do have a limited amount of dollars to spend. It isn't just Sherman who is likely tightening the purse strings this off-season. 

I said I wanted the fish to go after Realmuto and/or Ozuna before this off-season began and I still want that. It is not likely going to happen though unfortunately.

Big money on a closer though, I never was really looking for that.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

but just don't acting like I'm the only one here want this team to sign somebody to improve the team

Well considering I literally named players I want them to sign in my previous post, you sure do exaggerate sometimes.

3 hours ago, Michael said:

And if this team can't afford it we need new owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh, that may be true, but I think it's very important to note that player payroll is only one portion of where a successful team puts its money. Say what you will about Loria (such as: he was incompetent; he was overly optimistic; he was out of his depth; etc.), but he would run bigger payrolls from time-to-time. However, he did so at the expense of spending on international free agency, upgrading the Dominican facility, spending big on the draft, filling out a modern analytics department, and so on. Those are all things the Rays spend on big every year while spending lightly on actual player payroll. The result has been a very competitive team despite very un-competitive attendance figures.

7 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Frisaro mentions Hand many times before he retired, if this team can't afford Hand then they need a new owner. 

Don't you get tired of complaining all the time?

26 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Eh, that may be true, but I think it's very important to note that player payroll is only one portion of where a successful team puts its money. Say what you will about Loria (such as: he was incompetent; he was overly optimistic; he was out of his depth; etc.), but he would run bigger payrolls from time-to-time. However, he did so at the expense of spending on international free agency, upgrading the Dominican facility, spending big on the draft, filling out a modern analytics department, and so on. Those are all things the Rays spend on big every year while spending lightly on actual player payroll. The result has been a very competitive team despite very un-competitive attendance figures.

The 800 exclamation points didn't give away the heavy dose of sarcasm in that post?

3 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I believe in the mind of many peoples here I'm just a bad fan that always not agree to what this team doing. 

Not it at all.  A team will sign someone to a minor league deal, and you panic talking about the team being cheap and haven't signed anyone yet, etc. etc.

Just be patient.  If the offseason ends and we still haven't done much/anything, I'll be right there with you to complain.  But the constant complaints about every single move by other teams, rumors about us, the lack of news, etc. gets old.

With that, I won't talk about it any more for now, as to not derail the thread.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Loria basically did the only thing out of that list that doesn't translate to wins - he gave out silly contracts at times. 

• Like 1