2021 Marlins Draft Discussion

7 hours ago, pollythewog said:

Can someone remind me what happens when they can’t sign Watson? Another pick next year?

If they don't sign a 1st rounder they gat a pick next year at 1 after the pick this year (so #17). Still, this would be a big miss since we most certainly will not get a pick of this caliber at 17 next year. Unless I am wrong, unsigned picks out of the 1st round, will be as compensation in the compensatory rounds (the ones between rounds). I believe that all picks after the 10th round give no compensation for failing to sign.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Technically there is a penalty for going 1 cent over. But until they hit above 5%, the only penalty is a surcharge. Over 5 and they lose the top pick in next year's draft.

so makes sense to use the 5% for Watson and get it done. if it goes down that line

I feel like Mack being a HS grad with options is going to go over his slot value like I mentioned before.   

Getting a comp pick back for Watson is not the end of the world but the value of the pick really hurts in this case.   

Maybe it would have been better not having that extra first round pick just in the sense of signing Watson.  This also makes me question, does teams receive extra compensation (pool money) with the extra picks?  I know the answer is yes but the pool seems low to begin with.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

What a douchebag if he doesn't take it.

If he turns this down he'd be going to college and wouldn't be eligible for a few years again. Sure he could light college up and more than double that bonus money. Or he could fail to produce or get hurt and never see anything close to that number again.

If he was going to take 5 mil (was always just a guess) then it seems like he should take this as well. It is "close enough" really.

I'd take the deal personally, but his agent could try and convince him to bet on himself. We shall see.

9 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

If he was going to take 5 mil (was always just a guess) then it seems like he should take this as well. It is "close enough" really.

Yea this is how I see it. You've already won, don't get greedy when you could turn this down and a freak accident happens and you never see a baseball field again. 

• Like 2

So the Marlins have up to around $ 4.54 M. The only guys who took over slot deals that were enough to deduct from this total were McCants and Mack. Had neither of them signed, they would have just over $4.7 M to sign Watson. I seriously doubt that that difference would have made the difference. Watson either signs for what we have left or he would never have signed with us in the first place.

• Like 1