2021 Marlins Draft Discussion

Top 10 rounds you have a slotted amount of money you can spend.

You get a 10% overage before you get penalized.  I don't think any franchise has gotten penalized from this before.

College seniors are guys that will get a 10k slot amount, so you can bank the rest of that amount to use for other picks.

Marlins will be going WELL over slot for both picks tonight.  So its a matter of HOW much over slot they are going ot have to go is going to depend on how many college seniors you have to take.

This isnt exactly a new process, but I get it.  Fans dont really pay attention to the nuances.  

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

Top 10 rounds you have a slotted amount of money you can spend.

You get a 10% overage before you get penalized.  I don't think any franchise has gotten penalized from this before.

College seniors are guys that will get a 10k slot amount, so you can bank the rest of that amount to use for other picks.

Marlins will be going WELL over slot for both picks tonight.  So its a matter of HOW much over slot they are going ot have to go is going to depend on how many college seniors you have to take.

This isnt exactly a new process, but I get it.  Fans dont really pay attention to the nuances.  

I mean, it was more that you just throw "top 10" with no context - top 10 in the draft?  Marlins didn't have picks.  Top 10 Marlins picks?  Top 10 rounds?  

5 hours ago, el_gmac said:

Jonathan Mayo just praised the Marlins for both their pick and Mack is the best catcher in the draft according to him , so good job Ng

I'm confused. Wouldn't Harry Ford be considered the best one since he was the first chosen? 12th overall.. Not sure how that works.

12 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Nats pick Brady House

Well, the Brady house has enough space for at least 9 people if you include Alice, and as far as I know it’s in Southern California, so I guess it’s for when the Nats are playing on the road vs the Dodgers or LAA. The starting lineup can stay there.

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Haha 2
  • Banana 1

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I mean, it was more that you just throw "top 10" with no context - top 10 in the draft?  Marlins didn't have picks.  Top 10 Marlins picks?  Top 10 rounds?  

Anyone who is aware and has even slightly paid attention to the draft process of the last however many years is fully aware what Top 10 mean.

No need to get your panties in a wad here. 

3 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

Well, the Brady house has enough space for at least 9 people if you include Alice, and as far as I know it’s in Southern California, so I guess it’s for when the Nats are playing on the road vs the Dodgers or LAA. The starting lineup can stay there.

But one bathroom for all those kids? And what happened to that dog Tiger?

2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Anyone who is aware and has even slightly paid attention to the draft process of the last however many years is fully aware what Top 10 mean.

No need to get your panties in a wad here. 

Whatever man.  There's no "panties in a wad".

Top 10 nearly always means literally the Top 10 in the entire draft.  "so and so went in the top 10 in the 20XX draft!"*  That never means *top 10 of his team.  If you want to use it in a different context, just say it, that's all.

32 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It'll be interesting to see who's picked next - I'm assuming it'll be some guys closer to ready both because of cost and need.

As others have said, though BPA over drafting just at positions of need seems like the best path though.

Drafting at positions of need in baseball is a little pointless though because they aren't immediately filling that role. A lot different if they were, of course.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

is this a Star Wars reference ?

No haha, at least it wasn't intended to be.

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

29 minutes ago, Michael said:

Drafting at positions of need in baseball is a little pointless though because they aren't immediately filling that role. A lot different if they were, of course.

Oh sure.  You never know though with different groups - the last FO had a hard on for hard throwing HS pitchers, often passing on other guys.