Everything posted by marlinsfan75
-
How has Nolasco looked this spring?
I always thought Nolasco's problem last year was he didn't know how to properly waste pitches. He'd either be throwing too many strikes (yes folks, that's possible) or burying his curveball. 9 times out of 10 he hit his spots, and he best pitch is his curve so that's always a plus, but he just didn't "pitch" as well as his stuff would allow...at least that's how I saw it. And with that as the problem, it's a little tough to get a good look at a guy in the spring. I agree with you 100% here. Nolasco started off as being a great pickup and I think people started to just discount him last year (maybe from predicting his potential compared to Olsen/Sanchez). I think he can be like a right-handed Barry Zito as long as he locates and spots his pitches, especially when you can't throw 95+. He may not have the great win-loss record but he should at least keep the team in most games.
-
Cody Ross
He's a 4th or 5th at best. We need a good CF not another 4th or 5th.
-
Marlins Pictures
Awesome pictures, love the Hanley one...and Miguel Olivo lost a lot of weight. Can't wait for the season to start. I was about to say the same thing about Olivo until I read your post. I think even Dontrelle looks slimmer this year.
-
Reggie Sent down
I'll take Borchard as my starting center fielder, please. With what we have now I agree with you here. Reggie needs to learn plate discipline and that every pitcher he ever faces is going to change speeds to fool him. He seems to not ever have an idea what may be coming.
-
I was at the game in Ft Myers today
Something I forgot to add, at one point in the game Beinfest just got up from his seat and took off. Then like 3 minutes later Samson got up and looked lost or something, almost like he got left. Then some older guy went up and started talking to him. Probably Iron Man stuff, I'm sure.
-
I was at the game in Ft Myers today
So we were just sitting there watching the Twins and Fish and guess who walks right in front of me were Samson and Beinfest. They looked like in a hurry so I didn't try to talk to them. I had seen the pictures and heard the stories but Samson really is small. I am only 5' 10" but he looked 5' 2" max so it made me feel tall. Anyways, I guess someone actually sat in their seats because I watched them go sit down and then have to go get the usher. I heard a smattering of Marlin fans, were anyone from the forums there?
-
SI Jinx
This is similar to the Madden football odd-year jinx. Maybe there will be a team picture jinx or something in the future.
-
Three candidates for center job
My pick is Reed. He has hit everywhere he's been. Reed can be a poor man's Juan Pierre but can actually steal more bases for a higher percentage. I like Borchard and Ross but they are not starting calibar CFers. Obviously, these 3 players Abercrombie, Sanchez, and Reed have the most upside of any of the starting CF candidates. I like what Fredi is thinking so far! Day 1- 1) Alex Sanchez- Was limited to pinch running role, therefore just an average game (GRADE: C) 2) Reggie Abercrombie- Misplayed a few balls but went 1-2, double (GRADE: B+) 3) Eric Reed- Had an error but usually has a sure glove. He made up for the E with a 2-3 performance with an RBI and a SB (GRADE: A) Everywhere except the majors. :thumbup No doubt. Plus he looks like he can use about 15 lbs of muscle. Looks like he has trouble holding the bat. I would take Sanchez without even seeing him in a Fish uniform over Reed.
-
Marlins HD Schedule Released
It's not just the picture but the sound being in 5.1 is nice too. You hear more sidetalk and chatter from the fans. There was always this one guy near one of the mics last year that would yell the funniest stuff. I could never hear that on standard definition. Thanks for the schedule Cape.
-
Starting CF
I know Reggie Abercrombie didn't have a very good year in 2006 but remember that he was a rookie. I think he showed a lot of promise and out of everyone we have he has the most potential by far. I would like to see him earn the job in Spring. I think he can be a solid player once he learns to hit consistently. Has that blazing speed that can really unnerve a pitcher when he's on base. And when he gets a hold of one it can go a looooong way. he hit a ball like 500 feet against Philly. You can't teach someone power like that- you are born with it. But if he isn't ready yet I think Amezaga did okay and he is fast enough to cover more ground than Cody or Borcho. Alex Sanchez is really bad in CF. Every ball hit to him would be an adventure. So here's one vote for Reggie but since he's not a choice for some reason (maybe you forgot??) then I put Fredo Mez. Allllllrrrrighty then lol . Are you related to Reggie as well? Or that guy that kept asking everyone in this forum about that shot in Cincy? I would agree with you and I tried to root for him but as a 26 year old (forget that he was a rookie) he made some terrible plays for us last year, ie, playing center in Atlanta. He just seems to not be able to hit anything off-speed and doesn't have any plate discipline. Unless he drastically improves on these areas (which is everything) then I would say he is last on our list. He may be five-tool potential but not all them are really any good.
-
Expected Lineup
I don't think this will happen, but here's a thought for down the road, assuming Alex Sanchez can return to form maintaining long term a batting avg around 320 as he was in 05. 1 - SS Ramirez 2 - CF Sanchez 3 - 2B Uggla 4 - 3B Cabrera 5 - LF Willingham 6 - 1B Jacobs 7 - C Olivo 8 - RF Hermida Assuming better performances from Hermida and Jacobs, here's something else just for fun 1 - RF Hermida 2 - SS Ramirez 3 - 1B Jacobs 4 - 3B Cabrera 5 - 2B Uggla 6 - LF Willingham 7 - CF Sanchez (or whoever) 8 - C Olivo I tend to think the impact of Cabrera being #3 is overstated, just because I think the team in 06 had some of their best stretches with Jacobs going #3 before him. My main idea with the top of both lineups is start with someone who will be on base (and will run in Hanley's case) and follow them up with someone who can move them over. Id rather have Sanchez sac-bunting than Uggla, and he would also stand a chance at beating out the throw in that case. But I wouldn't mind keeping either Uggla or Jacobs hitting in front of Cabrera. They may need the boost more than Cabrera. Hammer is Hammer, and should be in the middle of the order, driving people in. Could go either way with him and Uggla on the second lineup, but there's only so much space. Hitting Olivo 7th on the first lineup was just to break up the Lefty-Lefty lineup thing. I wouldn't mind it with Sanchez though since he hits LHP better anyway. Same way Cabrera is slightly better vs RHP. I actually like the top lineup if Sanchez is the one to win the CF job. I just thought leave Hanley because he is now used to leadoff instead of moving him down to second. It's hilarious how people laugh at ideas before the season even starts but then things always happen like injuries and make many of these reality. Many of these guys have only played 1-2 years so saying that this person or that person wouldn't be a good fit based on 1 year doesn't make sense. Expect 1-2 of these guys to under-perform this year.
-
Expected Lineup
My lineup: SS Ramirez RF Hermida 3B Cabrera 1B Jacobs LF Willingham 2B Uggla CF Borchard/Ross C Olivo so, i agree with lou I think uggla's too good of a hitter to bat him that low in the order Agreed. Plus I think trying to make it R-L-R-L is overrated. Many righties hit righties better than lefties. I don't think it is a bad idea but batting a guy that hit 27 HR 7th is not right. I would go: Ramirez CF (hopefully fast, good OBP) Uggla Cabs Hammer Time Jake Hermida Olivo Unless Hermida starts tearing it up early on then I would change it up. But as of right now, that's what I'd try.
-
Cabrera frustrated?
Cabrera's absence irks team officials By Juan C. Rodriguez South Florida Sun-Sentinel Posted February 11 2007 MIAMI GARDENS -- Miguel Cabrera was AWOL this week as his teammates trudged from sports bars to bank branches promoting the 2007 Florida Marlins. His bosses are not happy. Team President David Samson and General Manager Admin Beinfest both called out Cabrera for ditching the team's caravan. Samson's remarks from the podium at the $200-a-plate awards dinner Friday included a mention of Cabrera's absence. Cabrera was to be presented with the team's Most Valuable Player award. Rather than applaud as he made his way on stage, attendees directed their appreciation toward a video montage on two giant screens. Before departing the third annual event, which raises money for the Florida Marlins Community Foundation, Beinfest said: "We're disappointed. He should be here with his teammates. He said he had personal things to do. That's all we know." Samson reiterated his displeasure with Cabrera during Saturday's caravan-culminating FanFest at Dolphin Stadium. According to a source that has spoken with Cabrera's camp, a $700,000 difference of opinion in what Cabrera should earn this season is prompting his actions. The Marlins and Cabrera will put the matter in the hands of arbiters Friday. "If there is a legitimate reason why he's not here, we haven't heard it," said Samson, adding he intends to address the matter with Cabrera in Arizona before the hearing. "He was the team MVP last year and he wasn't here to accept his award. He calls himself and he's acknowledged as one of the leaders of the team, so [owner]Jeffrey [Loria] and I and the team are very disappointed he wasn't here." Attempts to reach Cabrera and his agent Saturday were unsuccessful. Cabrera is in his native Venezuela, but he is due back in South Florida on Monday. Samson said Cabrera responded to the team's repeated requests to participate this week with "a pretty consistent no." He added: "We have been talking to him and his representative trying to explain the importance of him being here and that every one of his teammates would be here, and he just did not come." More than two-thirds of the 37 players on the 40-man roster attended Friday's event. Beinfest said Alfredo Amezaga and Renyel Pinto, both of whom recently wrapped up their winter ball seasons, were excused but would take part in promotional activities next week. Except for Cabrera, the most noteworthy roster players absent Friday were Yusmeiro Petit and Jason Stokes. "It's been a bonding experience for the team," Samson said. Cabrera and the Marlins won't do much bonding Friday, when they go before an arbitration panel that will determine his 2007 salary. Cabrera is seeking $7.4 million and the Marlins submitted a $6.7 million figure. "It's an absolute non-event," Samson said. "Of course it should not be an excuse. ... Miguel's arbitration case is whether he gets paid a lot of money or a lot of money. Those are the two choices. I have a lot of respect for what he does on and off the field, which is why it's even more disappointing that he wasn't here." http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins That last part bothers the hell out of me. Amezaga and Pinto ask for time off, they get an excuse because of winter ball, and it's swept under the rug and they're not only absent, but in Samson's eyes, they're present given his "everyone of his teammates was here" comments. Miggy asks for time off, plays in winter ball, and now gets dragged through the mud. For better or worse, he's Manny Ramirez 2.0, just give him his space, understand that he's a moody person and just expect him to show up every day and play well. Once he stops showing up for games, then I'll care, until then Samson's big mouth and double standard need to just go away. I agree with you on the last part. The more this goes on the more I think of Manny. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be a bad thing.
-
Checking in from the ashtray
Welcome to the boards.
-
Marlins Awards Dinner
Great pics!! Does anyone else notice that with the possible exception of Dontrelle, it appears EVERY Marlins player now dons some facial hair? Personally, I can draw any number of conclusions from this, but I'll leave you to draw your own. Nonetheless I find it interesting and perhaps illustrative of the player's true feelings regarding their former skipper. I am wondering the same thing. I could understand a few guys growing some but it's like the entire team is. If it makes them play any better, more power to 'em.
-
Marlins Caravan 2007 thread
I wonder if most of them growing facial hair is a statement against Girardi Dude I was thinking the exact same thing because it seems they all have at least a little.
-
Choo Choo in CF and D-Train??
Looks like someone mixed up another batch of 5 tool Kool Aid. It may be the beers but this is funny stuff.
-
How will Aaron Boone do as Jacobs platoon partner?
That won't happen unless Jacobs proves he can hit a lefty. He was a very, very weak .182 against them last season. Everyone says this but I remember Jake getting many clutch hits off of lefties. If you can't practice against them and you don't play against them enough how do you get better?
-
Marlins Caravan 2007 thread
Yeah I am going to the Stevie Tomatoes' stop in Naples. They came last year also.
-
Marlins 2007 TV Info Thread
That seems to be a lot more games on SUN than normal. Stinks because of no HD. Still nice to see almost every game is televised.
-
The idea of Hanley moving to CF
I don't know but I do know that I am in love with Erin.
-
Marlins make moves, plan others
Jake's got a point and if I recall some of his biggest hits were off lefties during the year, just overall his average wasn't that great.
-
Marlins Encore on FSN
What a game.
-
Marlins sign infielder Aaron Boone
Didn't someone recommend us signing him just the other day? I thought I read it somewhere.
-
Willis
You know now that the Mets lost out on the Zito sweepstakes the NY sportswriters are going to be stepping up the Willis to Mets trade rumors this offseason big time. Even if they do have the prospects, I think the chances of a Dontrelle to the Mets trade happening are close to zero. Just like Delgado -- and LoDuca -- and Leiter -- and Piazza. And FishFan79 -- are talking Fernando or Pedro Martinez (I'm assuming Fernando). Completely different circumstances. In trading Dontrelle to the Mets, we would be making the Mets rotation better and younger, two things we do not want to do. He also has historically dominated the Mets and pitched well in New York, another couple things the Marlins won't be looking to give to a division rival. If Dontrelle is traded, I don't see it happening this offseason and not to the Mets (at any time). Not to mention seeing Dontrelle in a Mets uniform would be enough to keep even more away from DS. If he is traded, it will be next offseason and he will be going out west, not east. But even though the circumstances are different, it always comes down to money. We don't have it and the Mets do. I agree that the chances are slim but you can never say never. Our owner literally told Delgado that he wouldn't be traded and then was mum when asked later; and we know what happened after that. Not only did he trade him but did so in the division. Don't you think our rotation would get younger if we traded him to the Mets? I would expect we would get prospects. Don't get me wrong, he is a leader on this team, and would be sorely missed but you can never rule anybody out. Look at Zito, everyone thought him going to the Mets was almost a done deal. No one even mentioned SF until he signed.