Everything posted by RJA87
-
Marlins DFA John Koronka
Personally, I'd like to see Badenhop get to start. Meh, he struggled starting last year, but he's been pretty solid coming out of the pen. Although I'm honestly not sure who is a great option right now. They should sign Paul Byrd =/
-
5/6 Post Game
Tough loss since Lowe is good and we were able to get to him, but at least we did hit and the bullpen pitched really well. Hopefully Sanchez gets a win tomorrow.
-
Things that bothered me in tonight's game...
Porter should have sent him, but then I'd pretty much send everyone. I'm all for sending guys. But I was on my feet hollering out to NOT send him. Porter made the right choice. Very little chance he scores. You think with 2 outs there is a higher chance JJ gets him in via a hit, then him to score on that play? Yes, because he, like I, feel there is something like a 10% chance that JJ drives him in and a 2% chance that he is safe at the plate. Plus, if he was out, JJ would have had to leadoff the next inning. Maybe, I really think it's much lower than 10% that JJ will get a hit, and there's no way it's that low that Hermida can score, he took a huge turn around 3rd he was already going full speed, Dickerson had to dig the ball out of the corner, he was all the way over, it definitely would've required good throws.
-
Things that bothered me in tonight's game...
So like what's the issue with Fredi's bullpen management? He made some moves and got out of the 8th inning scoreless. The moves were successful. Well I could easily be wrong, but the fact that it worked out definitely isn't proof that his decision was right. The game could've easily gone different ways and it could've resulted in problems.
-
Things that bothered me in tonight's game...
Porter should have sent him, but then I'd pretty much send everyone. I'm all for sending guys. But I was on my feet hollering out to NOT send him. Porter made the right choice. Very little chance he scores. You think with 2 outs there is a higher chance JJ gets him in via a hit, then him to score on that play?
-
Things that bothered me in tonight's game...
Maybe I'm being picky but I'm curious to see if anyone agrees with any of these... The inning where Hermida singled in Hanley, and then Cody doubled with 2 outs and Porter stopped Hermida from trying to score...doesn't that seem wrong no matter how close the play is likely to be? He should be aware that with 2 outs it will be JJ hitting and the chances of him getting the run in are very close to 0%, the odds of Hermida scoring on that play had to be much better, plus in a close game it seems like you need to take the chance there..not to mention it wasn't an easy play for Dickerson and he would've had to have made a pretty good throw I'd think. Also, when JJ was pulled in the 8th, Fredi brought in Meyer to pitch to Votto and he got the out after 2 pitches. I was surprised that he pulled him for Nunez at that point, considering it's a tie game in the 8th and if the game goes long (which it did) you could feasibly run out of relievers early. That coupled with the fact that the next batter after Phillips was Bruce who is a lefty...didn't make much sense. If he was that worried about Phillips hitting vs the lefty, why not just bring in Pinto to begin with, as I believe he has very similar splits vs right/left handed hitters.
-
Taylor, Badenhop and Penn???
Badenhop and Penn are fine for the bullpen, I haven't actually watched either of Taylor's starts but we shouldn't expect much anyway, he's just filling in for Miller, but his line vs the Cubs looked fine...
-
How much longer does Maybin have?
The season just started, no reason to give up on Maybin right now...besides I really don't see a better option at the moment.
-
4/11 Postgame Thread.
Nolasco was inconsistent in the spring and has carried that into this year with 2 bad starts. Our bullpen has also been weak. We're going to need help in the starting rotation along with the bullpen. I'm concerned with this team's pitching right now. I didn't watch last night's game, but he was definitely not bad in the opener....the inning where Dunn hit the 3 run homer, could've easily been different as both players that were on base could've arguably been outs by better defensive plays. If those 2 runs don't score his line is much different.
-
Game 7 of the 1997 World Series
I've never seen it, so I'll probably record it on my DVR. I want to say it's available for viewing on MLB.com...but I'm not 100% sure if it's there...they either have that one or the final game of the 2003 WS (or both, but I know they have one of them). What I want to watch is the infamous Cubs/Marlins game...I missed watching that one. All the games in that series vs the Cubs were amazing, except maybe one or two blowouts. I also would love to watch the last two games vs the Giants. That last game of the NLDS was gold. Wasn't there a game in that series where the Giants team popped the champagne early and then we made a comeback or something like that? I remember hearing the Giants doing that for some reason or another and I've been looking for that game, but I can't find it. Dunno...my memory could just be playing tricks on me.. Not sure...I was under the impression we smashed the Giants both years, I know in 97 we 3-0d them, can't remember for 03 though.
-
Derrick Turnbow
If hes smart he wouldn't go to the AL where he would get destroyed and the NL Central didn't work for him last time He could come to the fish and battle his way into the pen through spring training and a few months in the minors and hopefully he could be back to form and be a big set up guy in the late innings Too late, he's a Ranger.. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/turnbow-agrees.html
-
Derrick Turnbow
Apparently we're on of the finalists for Turnbow.. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...0,1727369.story
-
Derrick Turnbow
Do we not expect Jose Ceda to factor into the bullpen this year? Eventually, yeah...but I doubt he starts out the year with the big club. He'll probably spend some time in NOLA, but expect him to play a role in the Marlin bullpen in 09. You figure, as of now, the Marlins will have the following 10 guys competing for about 6 bullpen spots on opening day: Lindstrom L.Nunez Kensing Pinto Badenhop J.Delgado De La Cruz Tucker Ceda Meyer Out of those 10, you figure the locks to make the pen are Lindstrom, Nunez, Kensing, and Pinto. The remaining 6 will probably battle it out in ST for the remaining two spots. No Tank?
-
The wrong way to use Taylor Tankersley
I don't care if he was the last guy in the pen. There's no excuse or reason to use Tankersley against a Brandon Phillips type. I actually remember this game and could not believe he let him pitch to Phillips, I turned the game off after that at-bat I was so pissed lol.
-
Felix Pie
From what I've heard, he has all of the tools but no brains. He's ultra-talented but not too bright. Wait, he plays in the NFL?
-
Dan Uggla's future
They're trying to win this year, trading him now would automatically end that plan. I can definitely see them planning to trade him next offseason though, or maybe in July if they're out of the running and a team really wants him.
-
Marlins interested in Michael Barrett
Well at least without Olsen there, he probably won't get into any fights with our starters...maybe.
-
Jayson Stark postulates: Hermida deals
Bartlett + Sonnastine/Jackson seems too good to happen, in terms of just the players actual values. Even though it favors us unless we can make more moves I wouldn't like it, who can replace Hermida in the outfield this year? We are only on 3 outfielders...I guess they could sign someone but I have no idea who.
-
Hermida
Trading Hermida may be a great idea. Every year he doesn't live up to potential he loses some value. He's still young and we may be able to get some value for him if we trade him now. It's like trading D-Train. If a good deal comes along we should definitely trade him. We gave away Hammer for free, which granted he had back problems, but when healthy I would have taken him as a hitter any day over Hermida. And replace him in the outfield with who? We currently have 3 MLB outfielders in our organization (Ross, Maybin, Hermida), a couple of 5th outfielders (Amezaga, potentially Bonifacio or Andino), and then a flurry of AAA prospects (Raynor, De Aza, Carroll) and AA prospects (Morrison, Cousins, Petersen) who are not ready yet. We also are still the Marlins, and don't commit money to free agents. Who are we going to get on a 1 year deal to replace this production? That is left handed. And won't cost us draft picks. (I just ruled out everyone). We also totally need to commit money to a corner outfielder based on the aforementioned players too. That would be awesome roadblocking one of the deepest areas, if not the deepest, of our farm system. Getting rid of him is idiotic right now based on depth, let alone anything else. However there is more! It's also idiotic based on potential. You people are ridiculous. Last year he had a .870 OPS, which is insane. This year his road OPS was .851, he just somehow hit an abysmal .584 at home. He's also 24 frigging years old. I swear to god you people don't have a clue about player development. Hermida is younger than Gaby Sanchez. It doesn't matter that Hermida struggled as a 22 year old as a rookie, or that he hit pathetic at home at 24 years old. This is still a good young baseball player that is 2-3 years away from his prime and could overnight turn the light on and start hitting to his immediate .280/.360/.475+ potential. You people have to have more than a 'what have you done for me lately' attitude. This isn't a marginal prospect that showed something then stopped hitting. This is a top of the line prospect who showed something, and then had a setback. This happens all the time. It's ok, it's called player development. The last thing we need is for us to trade him and for him to go Carlos Quentin, Brandon Phillips, or Jeremy Guthrie on our asses. It's absolutely in our best interest to see what happens in 2009 then make a decision based on 2 full seasons after his breakout 2007. At this point we will have a flurry of potential OF to internally replace him. If he doesn't hit again, no problem. He was worth the risk based on his upside and all we have invested in him. If he hits? Fantastic, now we see if it's worth keeping him compared to how awesome Raynor, Cousins, Petersen, and to a lesser extent Morrison, did in 2009. I can't wait for these posts to stop. Well said.
-
13 Players File Grievance Against Marlins
Wasn't there some similar issue last year with Anibal Sanchez? Or is that the same thing thats included in this?
-
Raul Ibanez?
I think it would be better for Hermida to move to left, Ross is a much better fielder, but they won't do it. Unless he's completely horrible they won't make a move like that.
-
Raul Ibanez?
Also forgot he is Type A so we'd have to give up our first rounder to get him. Terrible idea. What do you think it would take to sign him? Money probably, so unlikely it will happen. Besides, wouldn't that be going against the speed/defense theory? We aren't the Royals =/
-
If the Marlins stated goal is improving the defense.....
where does that leave Dan Uggla, Jorge Cantu and Jeremy Hermida? I like Uggla and Cantu despite the fact that they have iron gloves but Hermida needs to step up or get out of town. Uggla isn't even bad defensively. Cantu is fine at 1st. Hermida can easily improve.
-
What the Hammer and Olsen trade could mean?
Marlins will be signing Pudge Rodriguez for 7 million, and 3 years, MARK MY WORDS. They aren't signing Pudge, it would make no sense, he'll want way more money than he's worth, and he wouldn't even get the bulk of the starts if they did sign him. Anyone giving him 3 years seems pretty ridic really (although the Yankees like to make terrible signings like that).
-
My actual opinion on 2009
Seems like a reasonable analysis. I would've thought if they do decide to let him replace Amezaga, that Amezaga would get something decent back in a trade, but I also thought Olsen would have good value which apparently wasn't true.