Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

RJA87

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by RJA87

  1. So we tarded olsen and Willingham for nothing? I thought we weren't doing a fire sale again.... How is this real..
  2. There's 0 chance the Marlins will pay him any sort of guaranteed real money, so it can't hurt if he wants a shot.
  3. I'd think Griffey would want more money, and isn't he picky about where he plays?
  4. Martin has ridiculous trade value, that trade wouldn't come close to happening if the Dodgers needed any one of the 3 you mentioned, and they don't. Signing Griffey also makes little to no sense.
  5. I will take that bet But any platoon with either Gaby/Cantu at 1B or Cantu/ Dallas at 3b will be good but most likly vs LHP it will be Gaby Cantu and vs RHP Cantu Dallas But We probably won't be able to keep Hammer and i doubt he would be able to bounce back from his back injury so we should try to keep Uggs and trade Ole/Ani Gregg and Hammer I don't think Cantu will be playing 3B next season, remember we have Helms. But then again, that's only my opinion. I don't think they intend for Helms to start many games..although I definitely don't like Cantu playing 3rd, way too many errors.
  6. Go west, young man I don't think I'll really miss him :whistle He was pretty good in 07, guess the injury messed him up.
  7. I understand they like Andino, but does anyone see him having much of a place on the team anytime soon? He is blocked everywhere, would it make sense to trade him?
  8. there are a lot of players on that list that I was thinking "what if". I do stand by my word that the Marlins WILL get Manny in LF. I know it is still a pipe dream, but Miami is the perfect fit for him. His family is here, no pressure by the media, no pressure from fans...it's prefect for the Marlins, vetren leader, great #s, FANS. Spend Marlins Spend, and get Manny NOW while we have a chance! Same reasons people said we would sign ARod...gotta be realistic though.
  9. I have a question about how arbitration normally works in regards to stats. Is there a certain number of saves that will bump the salary to a certain amount, or is it all subjective? If this were a real concern, they should just not use anyone specific as a closer and just use a bullpen by committee, which seems like a much better way of using the bullpen anyway. Objective and Subjective Objective, stats compared to other players in the league. The more saves Gregg gets, the more he looks like Fuentes, Putz, etc. Teams can counter with say, Greggs blown saves, HR rate, higher whip for a closer, etc. But then his people can come back with a good .BAA, good K numbers, solid ERA, he's been good for two years etc. All of this balances out into something to arbitrators. Subjective. Does Gregg sell a lot of jerseys, make all star teams, bring people to the park, etc. The objective arguments are stronger, but these can hold some weight and be deciding factors. This kind of thing really matter for a guy like Uggla who makes all the all star teams, or Dontrelle who was a fan favorite. And the bullpen by committee approach doesn't necessarily save money. For instance, say Lindstrom, Nunez, and Pinto all KILL next year. Let's say situation 1 is Lindstrom 40 saves, Nunez and Pinto awesome set up men. Situation 2 is Lindstrom 20 saves, Nunez and Pinto 10 a piece. Situation 1 is going to have Lindstrom around $ 3.5 million, and Nunez and Pinto around $ 1. Situation 2 is going to have Lindstrom around $ 2.5 million, and Nunez and Pinto around $ 1.5 as they were more important to the team, and can argue they are future "closers." I'm making these numbers up on the fly, but it's basically a WASH for the situation we have. If we had 1-2 veteran relief pitchers under contract, it would be a good idea to vulture saves off Lindstrom, but based on our pre-arbitration alternatives, this doesn't really work out as the savings on the top guy will just be gains for the lower ones. Ok that makes more sense now, I just wasn't sure if the fact Gregg had reached a milestone such as 20 or 30 saves was more important or not. Still hate the whole idea of a save lol.
  10. I have a question about how arbitration normally works in regards to stats. Is there a certain number of saves that will bump the salary to a certain amount, or is it all subjective? If this were a real concern, they should just not use anyone specific as a closer and just use a bullpen by committee, which seems like a much better way of using the bullpen anyway.
  11. I am going to have to assume we keep Scotty O and move him into the Long Relief role Not happening. I chose Olsen, btw. why wouldn't you see this happening? Strengthens our bullpen, and allows Andrew Miller to get into the rotation. Anibal would be a candidate to go to the bullpen, but I feel the FO still has faith that he can regain his 06 form I can't see them keeping Olsen and not having him be a starter. He's been an innings eater every year, he's the only one of the group that's been able to consistently start every 5 days. I see them trading him though, since he should get a decent return and they don't really need to keep him.
  12. I'm very surprised by the number of people who would have wanted that trade to go through. Pudge is old, he wouldn't have added that much to the team, and there was no chance of him staying for another season, he's overpriced. Lindstrom isn't amazing or anything but he is fine and definitely will be a part of the bullpen for next season. Because people here remember when Pudge was here as a Marlins in 2003, so they will be very bias judging Rodriquez talent. Plus of course you say that now, the trade doesn't make sense for the Marlins anymore. Pudge is older now and the race for the playoff is over. It's not because the season is over that I'm saying it, I would've vomitted all over the place if they made the trade then. He wouldn't have been that big of a help to the team. Maybe he's a defensive upgrade? Baker was very solid at the plate. A rental like that just isn't worth it, for any player that you plan to be on the roster for another year.
  13. I'm very surprised by the number of people who would have wanted that trade to go through. Pudge is old, he wouldn't have added that much to the team, and there was no chance of him staying for another season, he's overpriced. Lindstrom isn't amazing or anything but he is fine and definitely will be a part of the bullpen for next season.
  14. Olsen doesn't seem like the best fit for Texas..but whatever I won't complain if we get a good return.
  15. Gregg was also hurt this year and tried to play through it. I don't feel he would be the top reliever on any team, but the whole idea of a closer is a joke anyway. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to bother anyone that pitchers who pitch the 9th inning get millions more than the ones who do the same exact job in other innings, and have the same odds of facing the opponent's best hitters. So, he definitely has some trade value, he's a fine middle reliever that looks more appealing because of the saves stat.
  16. Weren't we only able to draft Santana based on the agreement with Minnesota? I don't recall the exact details but I know it wasn't just us drafting him and then deciding to trade him.
  17. I've been a big fan of Ross since 07. I definitely think he deserves a starting spot, I think it's safe to assume that one of Willingham/Hermida will be traded and I see him taking up that spot. I doubt they move Willingham to 1st, I think they plan to use Cantu and eventually Sanchez there, never know though it is an interesting idea.
  18. I want to keep Hermida. I think he's still got potential, and keeping him for one more year (to see if he can amount to anything) wouldn't be a bad idea. I wish more teams were interested in Willingham, 'cause there's someone I'd like to see go. Agreed, but that's the same reason people are looking to trade for Hermida and not Willingham. With his injury concerns and age, I doubt we would get much of a return for Willingham so they are probably better off keeping him, I have no issues with him being our left fielder in a year where we will contend.
  19. When will those guys vote yes or no? The recent Braman trial put everything on hold. The Marlins and the county manager have been working on the agreements since the trial ended as it appears that the final judgment may also be in their favor, but the judge is still waiting to see what finally happens in Tallahassee. I would hope that they're taking into account the concerns of commissioners Martinez and Heyman. Reportedly, the team will present the agreements to the commission for a vote in late October or early November. If there is a lot of back and forth the stadium construction will be delayed and the target completion date of April 2011 will not be met. That may set off another new set of problems such as extending the lease at Dolphin stadium beyond 2010, higher construction costs, etc... I dont really think that will be a problem as Huizenga has said he would not kick the Marlins out if they dont have a home. Now that can change considering he said that before the Hurricanes played at Dolphin Stadium, so its a little more crowded than before. I still think it wouldnt be too much to ask for an extra half season. Well he also said he lost money after the first World Series win...so he's not too trustworthy =[
  20. Sigh people know we're good? Was hoping they wouldn't notice so I could lock up a nice futures bet like I did this year with the Rays lol
  21. What does everyone think his trade value is at right now? Like what possible returns can we get? I'm having a hard time putting a value on him.
  22. Thank you Lou and Rambo. I appreciate your responses. I realize many of those players on the list have glaring holes in their games, specifically their offense, but I still feel that some of them would help with the whole speed and defense thing. Okay, so you guys have sold me that by trading away Jacobs, and bringing up Maybin and Coghlan we get more speed. I still don't think that promoting Maybin, Coghlan, and Gaby will improve the team defense to the extent the FO is looking for. I think that being rookies in a new "unfamiliar" ballpark coupled with the fact that all three will be getting their first taste of extended MLB experience will account for a few "rookie mistakes." Throw McPherson in there at 3rd and essentially, you have 4 rookies on the starting roster next year, 3 in the infield. That makes it hard for me to imagine our team defense improving a whole lot, no matter what their "ability" is. I think the FO would rather have a couple veterans of the all-defense mold on the roster. Which ones? It's all relative to what the other teams want in exchange and how much salary they'll eat. But if the FO comes across a good deal on one of those "defense-first" players, I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump on it. The thing about that statement though... the diamond (on the infield) is still really the same proportions, the only niche would be the foul territory corner infielders would have to cover. Outside of our open dugouts, there's not much that would make playing infield defense dramatically different for those players. It's not like outfielders have to learn routes off walls and stuff. Also, improving defense at 1B alone will dramatically improve the infield defense as a whole... you'd be surprised how much replacing Jake with Cantu/Gaby would go to improving defense by itself The defense and speed both improve drastically just with the obvious changes that will happen. Jacobs was meh at 1st, Cantu was horrible at 3rd, that eliminates a ton of errors right there. Maybin has shown no issues playing centerfield in the majors so I doubt him being a rookie will impact his defense much. I agree the lineup needs fixing, but I'm hoping Uggla stays, I don't think having one player like that is bad, and his defense is definitely underrated. I'm really not sure how many players from outside the organization will even be targeted, Gregg/Jacobs won't get a huge return in a trade, Scott Olsen should but I'm not sure what kind.
  23. I have actually spoken with friend of Jeffrey Loria (who is my friend), who informed me that the Marlins are indeed looking into Jake Peavy. If Loria keeps Uggla, we could dangle Chris Coghlan along with Ryan Tucker And then who would the Marlins add to make the Padres somewhat interested? The Padres would take nothing less than Volstad/Miller/Sanchez, Stanton/Dominguez, and West. They are rebuilding. They will want two big young arms and a top projectable bat. Ignoring the financial factor, and I think it's safe to assume you're right (or reasonably close to) regarding what they'd want back... I'd almost consider giving up a Sanchez/West/Dominguez for Peavy, as painful as that might be... I mean, like I said, ignoring the financial aspect... I believe that to be a "do-able" trade... but it really piques my interest... still though, only 1-2% :lol It's too risky to make trades like that, since Seattle overpaid now everyone will have to and it just becomes too ridiculous. If they make the trade and he gets hurt, gg organization for years. Besides the rotation is fine, if they're going to trade/spend money there are other areas of more concern. Obviously it would be nice to have Peavy but the price is just too much.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.